Marks flowers 2013++...

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Arjen

Re: Marks flowers 2013

Post by Arjen »

lovely flowers!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Eutow_Intermedium

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

Lovely plants and flowers.

I do like the plants when they almost seem to be in habitat. A lot more people should be doing this in the US

I'm in the UK so I cant do anything like this , you certainly got one up on me.

Realy need to get meself one of those Horizonthalonius plants :P
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hello everyone! Not much has happened regarding flowers.. lol. I had this mam. start blooming the beginning of Feb. and this Glandulicactus start forming buds. I'm still waiting on my Echinomastus to make some buds.

Mark
Mark

Re: Marks flowers 2013..

Post by Mark »

Finally, some blooms!!

E.chloranthus

A nice hybrid :D

There was more buds on it, but the birds got to them.

Mark
majcka

Post by majcka »

Nice show.

I'm still waiting for mine. But I can surely look at yours. =D>
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Mark,
I am glad to see you back here on the forum. While we seem to have similar cactus species yours are flowering earlier and in a different order. My Ancistrocactus (Glandulicactus) uncinatus does have flower buds, but that is it. I expect it to bloom in perhaps two to three weeks or so. My one and only Echinocereus viridis var. chloranthus does have a few buds and will require a few more days too.

I love that good-sized Echinocereus coccineus hybrid with the pink flowers. I purchased one of them too and it is doing quite well (hybrid vigor I assume).

Are you going to be present at the Garden Tours or the Flora Fest? I volunteered for both of them and also intend to go to the Orogrande area once more to admire those naturally occurring hybrid cacti.

Harald
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thank you Maja!! :D

Hey Harald, good to see you! Yes I will be going to the Garden Tours this coming weekend. I think I may just go the houses on the east side of town. By the looks of it, it should be a great weekend for the tours.

Mark
Mark

Post by Mark »

I think I need more plants here... These are mostly succulents..

Mark

Post by Mark »

Today I have an Echinocereus coccineus clump in bloom. It still has more buds forming.

Some new growth on this interesting E.horizonthalonius.

Mark
hegar

Post by hegar »

your claret cup does have a deeper red blossom color than those that have yet flowered for me.
Fortunately, this year I will have a few flowers on my Echinocereus triglochidiatus. Those blossoms are of a deep red color too. :D
Your E. horizonthalonius must have met with some kind of accidental damage. It looks about as strange as my big Echincactus texensis.
Is your plant still flowering? Once the apex was damaged on my cactus I did not see any flower formation for several years.
I hope, that one of the new "heads" will manage to produce a blossom or two.

Harald
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hey Harald, I actually just got the plant earlier this year at one of the rescues. I hope it does bloom, and continues to make new heads! :D

Mark
Mark

Post by Mark »

Some more flowers..

This plant is full of buds..

The Echinocereus 'El Paso' hybrid from Darryl, from seed that I sent him a few years ago. :D

Enjoy!
Mark
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

an amazing display, very beautiful
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Mark,
I am a little intrigued with that "El Paso" hybrid. Did you send Darryl seed that stemmed from plants, i.e. E coccineus and E. dasyacanthus, which you had hand pollinated and he grew that seed into the plant that he then sent back to you?
That deep pink, almost violet blossom color, reminds me a little of E. bonkerae or perhaps E. fendleri.
During our recent field trip to Orogrande I did not come across a plant that resembled the one you are showing.

Harald
Mark

Post by Mark »

Harald,

The seed for that hybrid came from an E.fendleri. I sent the seed thinking they were going to be regular E.fendleri, but as they grew up they were looking nothing like the parent. I think the cross is E.fendleri and E.dasyacanthus because they are neighbors here in the yard. I hope it makes pups soon. I want to see how it grows.

Mark