Lazz 2012-20??

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Lazz

Re: Lazz 2012

Post by Lazz »

Lazz wrote:There is going to be a flush of yellow echinopsis tonight/tomorrow. :)
There was!
yellow-Echinopsis-4-12-2012.jpg
yellow-Echinopsis-4-12-2012.jpg (100.79 KiB) Viewed 5532 times
Larry
CLOTU
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

That's indeed quite a bit of yellow! =P~
majcka

Post by majcka »

When I will get my cacti to flower in that number at the same time........ :-k

...I guess the world will turn the other way. #-o

Did I tell you I love yellow?? Well i do! This is quite a look.Image
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Yellow,I like it! :D
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Robb

Post by Robb »

Oh wow!! great garden Love the Echinopsis! Keep those pics coming! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
Thord Hakansson

Post by Thord Hakansson »

Wow!! What a garden, I´m green with envy :roll: Here in Sweden there´s no chance of having these kinds of species planted out but they do get a leave from the greenhouse in the summer and boy do they like that! Keep the pics coming!
growing allkinds of smallgrowing cacti in the north of europe
Lazz

Post by Lazz »

Hi, Thanks for the comments. It is a good time of year here.
majcka wrote:Did I tell you I love yellow?? Well i do! This is quite a look
HI Majcka. I like yellow, and red, and purple and .........
The weekend was the time for RED again.
These are all Echinopsis Huascha. Bits fall off so I plant them around the garden.
I think one day I will have too many (did I say that?) and won't be able to get in the garden at all.
1.jpg
1.jpg (28.85 KiB) Viewed 5467 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (25.61 KiB) Viewed 5467 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (31.21 KiB) Viewed 5467 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (20.29 KiB) Viewed 5467 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (27.86 KiB) Viewed 5467 times
8.jpg
8.jpg (33.17 KiB) Viewed 5467 times
Thsi is Echinopsis Crassicaulis. Not as many flowers as last year but the most amazing red.
My camera has trouble with these vibrant colours..
6.jpg
6.jpg (35.62 KiB) Viewed 5467 times
Larry
CLOTU
majcka

Post by majcka »

Lazz wrote:I think one day I will have too many (did I say that?) and won't be able to get in the garden at all.
You can alllways rent a helicopter to take a flight over it. Image
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Joel143

Post by Joel143 »

Fantastic garden. Spectacular blooms. Is your yard basically your entire garden? Wish mine was....haha Any more pics of your cactus not in bloom? By what I can tell you have quite a bit of columnars.....any other barrel and/or ferocactus? Did you have to ammend your soil alot and/or bring in gravel and soil? Also how old is your garden? Do you have a plant list of what your growing? I would be interested to see everything you have there.

Sorry for all the quetions.
Lazz

Post by Lazz »

Joel143 wrote: By what I can tell you have quite a bit of columnars.....any other barrel and/or ferocactus? Did you have to ammend your soil alot and/or bring in gravel and soil? Also how old is your garden? Do you have a plant list of what your growing? I would be interested to see everything you have there.

Sorry for all the quetions.
No worries Joel143, questions are good :)
Lazz in an earlier post wrote:The garden in the first photos was built up by us for a few years growing bulbs and other non prickly plants and then when the weeds got in I brought in a few trailer loads of sand and loam, mixed it all up with my trusty shovel and then covered the lot with about 2 cm of sand. It appears to be working alright.
I can't believe it is only about 14 months old myself. The other garden had some slightly raised beds when we moved in and I moved some more soil around from the existing vegetable garden and from some other beds that needed to go.
It is fairly sandy soil here (in a river valley) but there are clay patches.
I covered the lot with crushed brick to about 3cm Wish I hadn't. It acts as a mulch in the winter and keeps the soil damp. But so far so good.
Here are a couple of pics from 2007 (I had a LOT of energy then for some reason)
This the size of the back garden.
before
Cactus Garden Before 1-10-2007.jpg
Cactus Garden Before 1-10-2007.jpg (25.3 KiB) Viewed 5446 times
during
backyard 28-10-2007 .jpg
backyard 28-10-2007 .jpg (62.43 KiB) Viewed 5446 times
after
flowers1.jpg
flowers1.jpg (70.32 KiB) Viewed 5446 times
I have a web page that I update now and then that lists all my plants and has some pictures of some plants over the past few years.
The pics of Mammillaria Pringlei are an example. Same plant from 2003 to 2012.

the address is http://home.exetel.com.au/clotu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Click on the "My Plants" link. The other links are self explanatory. :D

The back garden (the big one) is 5 years old but I had some cactus in pots for a while before that.
Then I went to the places on my page and got hooked so to speak. :)
And started collecting.
I have killed most of the ones that wanted to die already. :) and I am left with a fairly tough remainder.
I now can walk past the shelf at the bigbox store without buying something that needs special care and I know which ones I kill (lessons learned).
I like them in the ground although I still have a few delicate ones in pots.
I still have too much lawn to mow in the yard and my partner collects succulents(non cacti), ceropegia and ferns so we have different areas including a large fernery and a vegetable garden. (Nearly 1/2 acre block)
My cactus garden is in the back corner and then it crept into a big bed in the middle of the lawn. hehe.
It may get bigger.....
majcka wrote:You can alllways rent a helicopter to take a flight over it.
Maybe a "Sky bridge" :D

Bye
Larry
Larry
CLOTU
Joel143

Post by Joel143 »

Larry,

Thanks for answering my questions. Am so envious of your garden. It would be a dream come true to be able to plant in my yard. I am planning a small raised bed garden come this spring of cold hardy cacti and see how that goes.

Not to get side tracked but you mentioned your partner collects ferns....staghorns by chance? I have a stag horn that needs to be remounted but there are so many new "sprouts" that started I hate to brake it up now. If the moss is still nice and thick can it remain the way it is for now?
Lazz

Post by Lazz »

Hi Joel143
I asked about the ferns (not my forte) Sue says that she hasn't seen any of her staghorns have offshoots.
She thought you might mean what we call Elkhorns.
There is no problem breaking up an elkhorn and mounting the offshoots but they are a clumping type anyways so if we are talking ELKhorns and the backing and moss fill is OK, you could just let it go. And grow.
Here is a pic of one of Sues mature Staghorns The second pic is a young Elkhorn with a few offshoots.
Let me know if we are talking Elkhorns or Staghorns.
We are getting a bit sidetracked here, hey? :)
BTW Did you check my cactus plant page out?
Bye Larry
staghorn-12-12-2012.jpg
staghorn-12-12-2012.jpg (36.71 KiB) Viewed 5428 times
elkhorn-12-12-2012.jpg
elkhorn-12-12-2012.jpg (50.01 KiB) Viewed 5428 times
Larry
CLOTU
Joel143

Post by Joel143 »

Larry,
I did check your cactus page out. I like the way you have it set up with the name and then pics of your plants. I'm just using an excel format for mine. You have a large collection. Im surprised you dont have a Trichocereus Candicans or Terscheckii...haha With your large collection have you tried cross pollinating to get your own plants or like your Echinopis to get a different bloom? Have any seeded new plants? Now that I would enjoy seeing whereby growing on their own and then seeding themselves. Majority of your cacti are a wonderful size. Did you start most of your plants from seedlings or small plants or did you get them in large sizes? All of my cactus are in pots for now and are in my greenhouse. Heres a few pics. Its unorganized right now due to I mainly wanted to get them inside before the cold weather would hit. There are still alot not in the photo's. This summer I will put few in a raised bed and the majority will stay in the greenhouse. I will organize it when it warms up.
Again am sorry its not organized. I am also planning to make a raised bed inside my greenhouse to one side. I seen a friend have one inside his greenhouse and it looked great.

As far as the fern, we call them staghorn ferns around here. I will separate the pups come summer and remount it. Basically I got pups coming out from sides and back which if I let them grow, will make the mounting board too small.
Lazz

Post by Lazz »

Joel143 wrote:Im surprised you dont have a Trichocereus Candicans or Terscheckii...haha With your large collection have you tried cross pollinating to get your own plants or like your Echinopis to get a different bloom? Have any seeded new plants? Now that I would enjoy seeing whereby growing on their own and then seeding themselves. Majority of your cacti are a wonderful size. Did you start most of your plants from seedlings or small plants or did you get them in large sizes? All of my cactus are in pots for now and are in my greenhouse.
Hi Joel143 We had an unusually humid summer here 2 years ago and and at the end of it I found 6 tiny seedlings.
There seems to be two different types. Neither type has flowered yet but both are 'ball' echinopsis (I think).

I moved i one to a sunnier spot and it began throwing pups out and is still doing so. No flowers yet. That is the only year I have found any seedlings.
I had to remove all my Opuntia Microdasys (yellow red green and white) and put little bits back into pots because they went rampant. And every flower on the green variety fell off and struck roots and tried to grow. . Scarey!!

Your collection looks a bit like mine used to. I started with pots.
This is at the start of my collecting. I have a lot more now and I put new ones straight in the ground now .
Pots 27-01-2007 .jpg
Pots 27-01-2007 .jpg (66.39 KiB) Viewed 5386 times
A lot of my columnar were cuttings from gardens, usually small enough to have in a big pot.
I went to a garage sale once and bought a small collection from an elderly gentleman' . Some of the plants were fairly old and in pots.
A lot came from 'bigbox' stores in 2 inch or 4 inch pots, I have bought more advanced plants in pots but not many and rarely.
Some of my columnars started in 2 inch pots. I put an add in a our newsletter once for unwanted cactus and a bloke I work with left about 15 x 4 foot cuttings of Echinopsis Spachianus at the back of my car. Lucky I have a wagon but it was fun getting them in and out.
Most of my plants just tended to grow flat out when I put them in the ground. The old ones in pots really liked it.

I haven't successfully grown any plants from seed yet. I have had a try and at the moment I have 2 survivors from dozens of germinated seeds. Echinopsis that I pollinated with pollen from different coloured flower. Still tiny though.
Bye Larry (I write too much I think)
Larry
CLOTU
Lazz

Post by Lazz »

Peniocereus serpentinus all bloomed the same day.
Beautiful perfume.
19-12-2012 1.jpg
19-12-2012 1.jpg (20.18 KiB) Viewed 5355 times
19-12-2012.jpg
19-12-2012.jpg (33.56 KiB) Viewed 5355 times
Larry
CLOTU