Lazz 2012-20??

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
SnowFella

Re: Lazz 2012

Post by SnowFella »

How's that for a coincidence, I've been looking at the very same maker for a timelapse camera. Though I think I'm looking at the newer model that runs off an SD card instead of USB stick. Downside is that it isn't weather proof and you need to buy a separate housing to make it waterproof.
I'd love to combine it with a gorillapod for the ultimate flexibility, can park it just about anywhere that way.
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Lazz wrote:
Minime8484 wrote: It certainly seems to be a Cleistocactus to me - at least from that distance, but would you be able to post a photo or two of the plant up close? It actually looks like one of my plants that is also unidentified - though I have my suspicions. If it is a Cleistocactus, it seems strange that it wouldn't have bloomed for you yet..
Hi Minime8484, Here are some photos of the original plant as of today.
I hope these help you ID your plant (and mine)
You can see that there is no sign of buds again this year.
I have always assumed it was some sort of Cleistocactus and have been waiting for a flower.
The little white flower on the third shot is from a white cedar tree that drops litter for most of the year.
Thousands of little flowers, then leaves, and then berries, all over my garden. I can't get a photo in November without berries or flowers in the shot.

Cheers Larry
Wonderful plant, whatever it is! And again - REALLY surprised it hasn't bloomed at that size no matter the species.
It does indeed look very close to mine...and, I think I've narrowed mine down to one of 3 choices: micropetalus, buchtienii, or morawetzianus - and flowers could clear up which one if it is indeed one of those three.

Keep us informed and keep an eye out for flowers! :D
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

=D> =D> =D> Staggering number of blossoms, Lazz! 8)
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Lazz

Post by Lazz »

Hi All
Minime8484 wrote:Keep us informed and keep an eye out for flowers! :D
Will certainly do so. I'm curious now too.
hoteidoc wrote: Staggering number of blossoms, Lazz!
Yes, Lots of flowers. Now I'm waiting for the second flush... I'l put some more pics on as things develop.
There are heaps on the Echinopsis pachanoi. More than last years below
Echinopsis--pachanoi 23-2-12.jpg
Echinopsis--pachanoi 23-2-12.jpg (52.97 KiB) Viewed 2232 times
Snowfella, I've been checking your topic. Beautiful flowers. Was hot here today too.

cheers
Larry
Larry
CLOTU
Joel143

Post by Joel143 »

your garden is just breathtaking. Thmbs up. Any problems with flooding during the rainy season? The blooms on the pachanoi are spectacular....dang.....everything is spectacular. Whats your year round climate like? And please, keep the pictures coming. Even giving me ideas....plan on putting a raised bed myself. I live in southern Louisiana, my problem is fighting the amount of annual rainfall and wet winters.
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

You sure there's a plants in all those flowers!? :D Nice garden and flowers! =D>
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Lazz

Post by Lazz »

Hi All, Thanks for the positive comments.
Joel143 wrote:Any problems with flooding during the rainy season? Whats your year round climate like? And please, keep the pictures coming. Even giving me ideas....plan on putting a raised bed myself. I live in southern Louisiana, my problem is fighting the amount of annual rainfall and wet winters.
Hi Joel143

These are Averages (from wikipedia)
annual rainfall 18.9 inches
Average maximum temp 21.3c
Average minimum temp is 8.3c

We don't have a rainy season as such in Central Victoria. More like 4 distinct seasons.
Yep, I do get too much water in the winter, at least for my liking, but our winter rainfall is still not great.. I have the garden beds built up a bit but with hindsight I wish I had built them up further in the beginning.
And worked out which way the water goes in a big rain. (We moved here during the biggest drought for decades and by the time it rained again I had already set up the garden.)
Most of this was in my old topic, apologies to those who have heard it before... :oops:
All the water runs straight into my cactus garden 8-[
The weather here can go from about - 4 some winter mornings (rarely), but never stays below freezing when the sun comes up.
The hottest day I can think of was 2 years ago when it got to 46.1 Celsius. It got up to 42c in the afternoons for about a week that year. Made 35c seem cool the next week.
I have to put up shade in summer to avoid sunburn on some plants. The garden has a big White Cedar that gives shade. (apparently it's a feral plant in the US, referred to as the Texas umbrella tree?)
Generally we just get from 17c to 27c in spring, hotter in summer, with occasional really hot spells and 12c down in the winter. We get some frosts but they melt as soon as the sun comes up. The odd 'severe' frost but not many.
The coldest day on record here is -6.3 Celsius (probably occurred overnight)
I had a pic on my old topic (lost them all when the server crashed at cactiguide and it's too much work to re-assemble it.)
Here's what a 2010 spring flood looked like.
I had to pump out the garden :shock:
cactus-garden-flood-8-12-20.jpg
cactus-garden-flood-8-12-20.jpg (59.71 KiB) Viewed 2207 times
This was weird weather though, It rained for most of the summer and it was really humid, usually it's more like a drought and dry as chips here in the summer.
The last two winters have been OK. Most of my cactus seem to handle the winter rains but the yellow flowered 'ball' echinopsis don't like it at all.
I lost a 6 year old golden ball this year. It must have been too wet where it was planted.
gemhunter178 wrote:You sure there's a plants in all those flowers!?
There are because the flowers are nearly gone now. :(
I'll get second flush of echinopsis soon though.
I'm looking forward to the pachanoi blooming this year. (I have two big ones and another slightly different that hasn't flowered yet.)

I'll on more pics.
Cheers
Larry
Larry
CLOTU
Lazz

Post by Lazz »

I had a thought.
Has anyone never seen a 'dead' Echinocereus grusonii (Golden Ball)
It's the first dead one I have seen.

He looked like this.
dead-ball-1.jpg
dead-ball-1.jpg (49.32 KiB) Viewed 2205 times
You can see some discolouration but from a distance ...it looked OK.
dead-ball.jpg
dead-ball.jpg (50.54 KiB) Viewed 2205 times
I did not expect it to be that colour inside.
I think it was too wet, or cold, or something else altogether.
Any ideas?

Cheers
Larry
Larry
CLOTU
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Yikes! :shock: I can't answer your question, but it sure looks like rot!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Ivan C

Post by Ivan C »

WOW! I have heard of spiders making nest in them. Amazing to see it looks fine from the outside.
Mitchell101

Post by Mitchell101 »

Same kind of rot happened to one of my mamms the other day. It looked perfectly fine but I touched it and it was all soft and the WHOLE plant was just orange mush inside. First plant I've lost in about a year. I fear for one of my lithops though, I think it might be about to rot. I'll see within a day or two.

And beautiful garden btw. I just had my first echinopsis flower recently and it was awesome.
Lazz

Post by Lazz »

Hi,

Some more pics from the last couple of days.
There is going to be a flush of yellow echinopsis tonight/tomorrow. :)

The first of this years Peniocereus serpentinus flowers. There are going to be heaps of these in a week or two.
These ones have a wonderful scent.
Peniocereus-serpentinus.jpg
Peniocereus-serpentinus.jpg (57.58 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
These Parodia magnifica all surprised me today. I thought they were days away from flowering.
Parodia-magnifica-2012-(2).jpg
Parodia-magnifica-2012-(2).jpg (63.44 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
This is the first flower I have had from this echinocereus
I got this as a cutting last year. It has thrown out three pups and 2 flower buds.
Any ideas as to its identity welcomed.
unknown-3-12-2012-(1).jpg
unknown-3-12-2012-(1).jpg (63.02 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
And early morning because I like the way it looks. :)
3-12-2012.jpg
3-12-2012.jpg (61.7 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
Cheers
Larry
Larry
CLOTU
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Gorgeous! Especially that Penio...
And, I like the way your yard looks too! :D
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Nice penio, of course, nice other plants as well! :D
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

great flowers, stunning penio!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)