Lazz 2012-20??

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Lazz

Re: Lazz 2012-20??

Post by Lazz »

Hi graffiti
Your Echinopsis huascha are amazing. How old are they?
These were planted from cuttings early 2012, you can see the yellow one in the 2nd photo on page 1 of this thread in the upper right side of the photo. It has three stems by this time, and the red one is in photo 4 on the same page on the left centre with one stem. I transplanted them from my 'back garden' and originally got single stem cuttings from a garden in Rochester Victoria in 2008. The grow really well here and put on a couple of great shows during the summer

Also thanks esp_imaging and jp29 for the information, I will update my list accordingly

kristian_Fossmo That is my partner Sue's hand about to be devoured by the stapelia-gigantea. 8-[ It attracted many blowflies to our front door this year. Strange, most people have nice smelling plants at the front door. :? I suppose it might keep unwanted visitors at bay. :D Unfortunately we were away when several flowers opened a couple of weeks ago.
Larry
CLOTU
Lazz

Post by Lazz »

Here are two photos of my 'front' garden. The first taken taken in May 2013 and the second today, May 5th 2016
It is well into autumn here so no flowers. There has been a lot of growth in the last three years. :)
garden1 .jpg
garden1 .jpg (50.92 KiB) Viewed 5532 times
garden2 .jpg
garden2 .jpg (46.7 KiB) Viewed 5532 times
Larry
CLOTU
jfabiao

Post by jfabiao »

Impressive!
Z, in (mostly) sunny Lisbon.
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.pt/
graffiti

Post by graffiti »

I'm jealous. ;)

What's the white flowering looking thing toward the back?
majcka

Post by majcka »

Ooooo. That looks great!!
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Larry,
I am amazed at the number of flowers your cacti produce. Do you have them on a special power diet? Except for the Queen of the Night (Peniocereus greggii), that I do have and some of the prickly pear cacti, my plants are not as imposing and tall as what is in your garden. Those Echinopsis pachanoi and Echinopsis huascha almost make me drool! Until February 2011 I did have columnar cacti, but when we were hit with a severe winter storm, I made the mistake of not cutting large stem pieces off and take them indoors. So I did lose my columnar plants .
Also, of the Echinocereus spp., E. cinarescens is one of my favorites. The flower coloration is so beautiful, almost ephemeral!

Harald
Lazz

Post by Lazz »

graffiti wrote:I'm jealous. ;)

What's the white flowering looking thing toward the back?

Hi Graffiti, I am thinking you must mean the eucalyptus macrocarpa - common names - 'rose of the west' or ' mallee rose' that is just behind the stool in the photos. It is a native Australian shrub originating in Western Australia.
It does look a bit like white flowers in the photos, but that is the leaves. Here is a picture I took in 2014 of some of the flowers from the plant. It is the only plant that Sue said I could not remove from that garden bed when I 'cactused' it :D , and I agree with her, it is quite a beautiful plant.
eucalyptus-macrocarpa 2014.jpg
eucalyptus-macrocarpa 2014.jpg (37.8 KiB) Viewed 5481 times
hegar wrote: Hello Larry,
I am amazed at the number of flowers your cacti produce. Do you have them on a special power diet?

Hi Harald, Thanks for the positive comments. As yet I haven't put any fertilizer on my garden at all. Out place is on what was once river floodplain. We have reasonably mild winters here, no snow, some mornings with frost and down to -7 celsius but usually frost free as soon as the sun comes up, and never remaining below 0 celsius after the sun comes up, even on cloudy days, We (usually) have hot dry summers - up to 45 celsius some days. Our yard is fairly protected from severe winds.
Cacti just seem to like North Central Victoria. :) I'm sorry to hear of your losses due to storms. I think I am very lucky to be able to have so many plants that can prosper outdoors all year.

Also, thanks to the others who commented, I do love my garden. :oops: and it is very pleasing to get such positive comments.
Larry
CLOTU
Lazz

Post by Lazz »

I have finally had enough of my Echinopsis Spachianus growing, growing, growing and then falling over.
Over the last few weeks I have had a radical cleanup of most of the clumps of it that I had.
This is a photo of one of the FOUR trailer loads that I have taken to the green waste recycling depot.
I now have just one clump that I will be keeping well under control from now on. (I never thought I would see myself dumping so much cactus. :shock:
cactus-in-trailer.jpg
cactus-in-trailer.jpg (80.67 KiB) Viewed 5403 times
Larry
CLOTU
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

I have to do the same every few years. This year was opuntias and a selected pruning of an Oreocereus celsianus. Few years ago it was Agaves. Next year, moving a few others. Still better than mowing a lawn. :lol: BTW, my cuttings filled up a 20 yard roll off dumpster.
Lazz

Post by Lazz »

A long time since I have posted anything here. Middle of winter in Victoria Australia
This is an updated picture of my 'front' garden taken 20-7-2018
There a couple of pictures earlier on this page to compare.
There has been a lot of growth over the last couple of years.
And Sues glass work is taking a front seat too these days.
cactus-20-7-2018.jpg
cactus-20-7-2018.jpg (111.13 KiB) Viewed 4511 times
Larry
CLOTU
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Very beautiful setup! Thank you for sharing and welcome back!
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Lazz

Post by Lazz »

Thanks ElieEstephane
Larry
CLOTU
Lazz

Post by Lazz »

Back again...once again.
Summer here and these flowered over the last week or so.
The duck seems impressed :-)
The duck seems impressed :-)
pic2.jpg (47.98 KiB) Viewed 4107 times
pic3.jpg
pic3.jpg (111.96 KiB) Viewed 4107 times
pic-(1).jpg
pic-(1).jpg (153.73 KiB) Viewed 4107 times
pic1.jpg
pic1.jpg (79.11 KiB) Viewed 4107 times
Larry
CLOTU