Vermont Cacti 2012--this time with a GH!

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Arjen

Re: Vermont Cacti 2012--this time with a GH!

Post by Arjen »

very lovely!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Great show, Dave =D> I'm hoping I didn't try to extend the outdoor season too long, cause some of the plant got showers on them last week when the nights went down to mid-40's. Brought them indoors, but not cold enough to run furnace. Realized they had probably got 3 - 4 days with "damp" feet, before I ran it for a few hours to dry things out. Always the toughest time for me, probably going to take a few more "kills" to get it through my thick skull not to forget the "true" nature of these plants ](*,)
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

those might be white, but I have had a few of the hybrids show interesting colored buds that turned out to be Magenta.. however, white would be nice because those are really pretty with white flowers. Nice flowers, too bad about the aborted ones, but hey I lose flowers out here in the desert sometimes too.. Too hot/dry/wet, etc.. :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Here is the first Schlum flower open today; as I expected, white with a hint of pink/lavender blush and a darker lavender (or is that magenta?) color in the throat and stigma/pistil.
DSC02601.JPG
DSC02601.JPG (71.7 KiB) Viewed 1072 times
DSC02603.JPG
DSC02603.JPG (26.62 KiB) Viewed 1072 times
DSC02602.JPG
DSC02602.JPG (42.53 KiB) Viewed 1072 times
This little Mamm. plumosa continues to show off. I am doing nothing to it to make it bloom. I simply rescued it from the GH when the temps got very cool and brought it in on the glassed-in porch in a south-facing window. No water; I just forget about it--best treatment possible!
DSC02604.JPG
DSC02604.JPG (96.92 KiB) Viewed 1072 times
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Beautiful Schlum, Dave! None of mine are showing any signs of budding yet. And plumosa is putting all its growth into 3 offsets, but no blossom buds there either! :-k
I stand corrected (5 mins later): Haven't had a chance to "hover" with my plants for 3 or 4 days now & just went hunting -- there are 3 plumosa buds! :D Thanks for the heads-up, Dave!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Nice fluffy plant! :D Nice Schlum as well, mine are starting to bud! =D>
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

@hoteidoc - I had no idea plumosa bloomed in the fall, Peter. But if yours is showing buds, I guess mine isn't the freak I thought it was! Fall flowers must be its norm.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Really not sure, Dave, because this plant blossomed end of last Jan. But it was a replacement from M2G in early Fall & maybe just trying to "catch up" then. :-k Anyway, here's to all the upcoming Winter blossoms to cheer us up with 6 months of "you know or who knows what" ahead! :D 8) :lol: Of course, then there's all our friends Down Under that will remind us that Life is still with us! :mrgreen:
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

that plumosa looks beautiful, I'm anxiously waiting for mine to form buds, so far nothing... it did flower two years ago
great looking schlum as well!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

nice Schlumbergia. I like the flowers on that one, this winter I Will go to DBG to see if they have more of those :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

I guess I'll continue this year's post right through December, as long as things continue to happen. At least the "Thanksgiving" and "Christmas" cacti will be flowering (some more than others); there may be one or two more unexpected bloomers, such as this Eriosyce villosa. In these photos, the flower seems to have a touch more lavender in it--it's a bit more red. It has thrived on neglect and cold weather.
DSC02626.JPG
DSC02626.JPG (56.05 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
DSC02636.JPG
DSC02636.JPG (42.28 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
The Mamm. plumosa has not quite given up yet.
DSC02625.JPG
DSC02625.JPG (79.97 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
I had occasion to go into the GH one very cold morning and happened to see this Mamm. najapensis with two small flowers. This is the first time it has bloomed. I got it this summer at a garden center and it waited until it had been subjected to a few nights of freezing temps (32F/0C) even inside the GH with no water since probably September.
DSC02627.JPG
DSC02627.JPG (67.97 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
And I am on my way to collecting Schlums of as many different colors as I can find. Here are the early flowers from each of the plants in addition to the white one (posted earlier). I even find unopened buds have an interesting form.
DSC02623.JPG
DSC02623.JPG (56.23 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
DSC02624.JPG
DSC02624.JPG (46.28 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
DSC02630.JPG
DSC02630.JPG (46.08 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
DSC02632.JPG
DSC02632.JPG (41.53 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
DSC02634.JPG
DSC02634.JPG (28.13 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Nice flowers and plants! It's quite nice to see blooms this time of year :D
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
iann

Post by iann »

This is the time when E. villosa should flower. I just noticed mine still have a few flowers left after more than 2 months of continuous display. They'd carry on right through to spring but I've stopped watering them and there is no sun.
--ian
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

very beautiful, nice set of schlums!
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Arjen wrote:very beautiful, nice set of schlums!
Yup I agree with that!
-Daniel

Aquatic technician at Maidenhead Aquatics, Windsor.
I like the South Americans. Cacti that is...