PTCG's 2012 topic.

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
CactusBoss

Re: PTCG's 2012 topic.

Post by CactusBoss »

Peterthecactusguy wrote:
CactusBoss wrote:looking through this thread makes me like Opuntia even more
haha well, Opuntia are very beautiful when they are in flower, or if they have neat spine structure like some of them do. I like them because the flowers are some of the best cacti produce. Sure there are some that I like just as much or more, but they are very consistent.

Ron, I will include some Agave pictures soon. I have forgotten to take some pictures of my Agave shelf ... :)

I think you will like what I did, even though it is very rough :)

they are beautiful but i was walking bare foot in my yard today to check out my Opuntia humifusa , there must have been some glochids on the ground because i felt like 100 pricks in both my feet. walking inside was a nightmare every single step hurt like a mother. when i got inside i brought out all the duct tape i had and used all of it to remove the glochids from my feet, i still have some in my feet now. i must say even the Opuntia that grow up here in Illinois are still nasty, they may have less spines but they make up for it in huge patches of red nasty glochids.
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

You were walking barefoot near Opuntias? :shock:
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".
CactusBoss

Post by CactusBoss »

GermanStar wrote:You were walking barefoot near Opuntias? :shock:
they were in pots.
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

Harriet wrote:A tree, or shade cloth. Someone needs to invent a spray-on sunscreen for plants...
Now there's a million dollar idea. Get to work on it, Harriet! I'll split it with you. :D
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Ron, about once a week.
I figured it was a sun problem. It was better protected before, but the Caesalapina (I think that's how it is spelled) that was growing there last summer died some how..

I need to plant something there to block out the sun..
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Peterthecactusguy

GermanStar wrote:You were walking barefoot near Opuntias? :shock:
um I was thinking the same thing. REALLY?
I dont care what people say I still like my Opuntia.
I wrote this today at my graduation from Landscaper class.

In defense of Opuntia:

They make really good and tasty jam.

(beautiful flowers and spination help)

anyways I gotta go..
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Walking barefoot??? I never walk barefoot around my yard, Tribulus terrestris or goat heads/puncture vines. Posting a few pictures of the mother plants that I sent you some cuttings of.
Loaded with flowers
Loaded with flowers
1.jpg (231.05 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
Bees in each flower
Bees in each flower
2.jpg (173.41 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
Different flowers, there was some posting about that
Different flowers, there was some posting about that
3.jpg (215.86 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
There is a bee in there somewhere
There is a bee in there somewhere
4.jpg (132.19 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
Don't know the name
Don't know the name
5.jpg (245.58 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
Always flowers
Always flowers
6.jpg (215.64 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
Even the cutting I'm going to throw away are blooming
Even the cutting I'm going to throw away are blooming
7.jpg (176.9 KiB) Viewed 1286 times

Hope your feet get better.
Peterthecactusguy

hey thanks for the pictures of the mother plants. Did you get the money I sent yet? If not I can send you it again. Our post office is known to lose stuff.

BTW I planted them all and two of them bloomed. The O. ficus-indica that is yellow bloomed. I dont have a yellow one yet so that is different. The others had buds on them that look like the first one which is I believe Opuntia leuchotrica. The other one was the second one you posted which is I think O. engelmannii or something mixed with it. The flowers that are orangish pink are day old flowers, and it's quite common, esp in O. englemannii, which helps to secure that ID possibly.

The Cylindropuntia I think is C. spinosior.

The other pads that you sent that were a little more dehydrated are flopping over but rooted. I will keep an eye on them, and I think they are O. littoralis but I could be wrong on that one..
Peterthecactusguy

UPDATE!

Imagesaguaro blooming from a weird spot. (on the original non-moved saguaro)

Imagespines on the F. emoryi
Image more strange flowers on a the same saguaro, wonder if it's the start of a new arm????
Imagecrown of the main spear
ImageCactus Wren. (it stood still just long enough for me to take two shots, one was blurry this one came out)
ImageSide arm, looks a little strange at the top, possibly it's dehydrated due to our hot dry winter/spring..
ImageThe other tall one that was transplanted, it's got about 6 buds on it, a good sign, 2 more than last year when it only got one on its crown and a few on its arms.
Imagenew and old.. the one in the foreground is one that was moved, the one in the back is the original saguaro.
Image aborted flower buds on the first one to usually bloom. I dont know what its deal is.. :(
Imagebaby arm on one of the transplants getting bigger, and with buds on it..
Imageformidable spines of a young saguaro, one of the transplants.
ImageAny bets for when this one blooms? :)
ImageO. humifusa starting to show some signs of life. I think they are confused here.. esp when it gets to 90F in January!
Imageyay buds!
ImageO. macrocentra
Image a strangely shaped pad from a pad that was sent to me form another member. It's putting on two new pads. It likes water and heat apparently.

Image A pine cone/cat turd cactus.. sorry the last name kinda stuck.. T. articulatus var diadematus
Image Red Yucca I got on clearance at Walmart.
Image Agave shelf for some of my potted Agaves. They get some morning/light evening sun..
I;ll end it with that picture of the cholla that I have that is a noid hybrid, probably SpinosiorXAcanthacarpa
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

Some of those Agaves look big enough to see ground, though the pic is from too far away to make out many details. You'll have to plant the Red Yucca inside a fenced part of your property. Peccaries will chew 'em to the ground, given half a chance.
Agave
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

nice plants peter!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Peterthecactusguy

New stuff will be up tomorrow. I am tired. :)
Peterthecactusguy

LoL been a long time since I updated this. Been busy, but that doesn't mean I dont have cacti still of course :)
Opuntia engelmanniiX O. phaeacantha

O. macrocentra with new growth.. this fall/winter

ImageO. aurea hybrid

Image another shot of the O. aurea hybrid.

M. hahniana Fall bloom.
O. basilaris from another member.

Image Ill fated Cyclomen and a variegated Poinsettia

O. engelmannii var linguformis

Image a crappy picture of a S. truncata hybrid.. the flowers are a pretty color :)
Image even worse picture of a S. truncata (maybe hybrid) with the usual colored flower.

Image Mammillaria (I think sonorensis) about to bloom. I can't remember it might be M. melanocentra too.
Image M. lindseyi
Peterthecactusguy

also another thing to note.. That C. spinosior is probably not a hybrid, and actually after doing some research is probably just one that has a slightly different colored flower. Like a lot of C. acanthocarpa they can have different colored flowers.

:)
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Nice Opuntias and stuff! :D
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.