My Cacti 2012

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
hegar

Re: My Cacti 2012

Post by hegar »

Here is the second part of digital images from this weekend showing my flowering cacti.
I just want to show you what a row of Echinocereus dasyacanthus looks like (5 plantw with 15 blossoms)
The single stem with most flowers is this one holding five of them
This plant does have a different look, because the petals are shorter and rounded at the apices.
Another cactus in bloom is one that looks like a cross between Opuntia basilaris and Opuntia microdasys. It does not have spines and the glochids are not bad at all, rubbing off easily. It was identified by someone on this forum as Opuntia rufida.
hegar

Post by hegar »

This afternoon around 3 p.m. yet another cactus flowered. It is a pretty plant with its red and white spines and the flower is nice too. Its common name is "Pride of Texas" and the scientific name is Thelocactus bicolor. This plant will also flower repeatedly, but it is difficult to see the flower buds until they have grown large enough to move beyond the long spines on top of the plant.

Harald
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Harald, I would agree. that Opuntia looks like O. rufida.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Nice. It looks like the last couple days for you have been a visual feast.
Artur89

Post by Artur89 »

hegar wrote:Image
And how can you not like Echinocereus - it's impossible :lol: Stunning photo, like a picture of the nature :-k
hegar

Post by hegar »

When I returned home from work shortly after 6:30 p.m. I found a cactus in flower that gave no indication, that it would bloom today. It is not a very big plant and also produces a pink blossom. The name of the plant is "Eagle Claw" (Echinocactus horizonthalonius).

Harald
Peterthecactusguy

beautiful blooms Harald. those are some nice ones :) Purple and red together are brilliant combos :)
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

I love everything about it, Harald--the double row of petals, the shades of color and the contrasting yellow anthers. You seem to have an extremely well grown example; many E.horizon. I've seen aren't that attractive to me.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
hegar

Post by hegar »

Thank you for your positive replies. The Echinocactus horizonthalonius is a pretty cactus with its hard glaucous body and the brilliantly colored flowers. All my specimens are locally collected and some do well, while I have lost a few over the years. Some of them just refuse to form roots after having been dug up and others will rot. However, I still do have a good half dozen of them and can get more, even large ones, for free whenever I want to.
Today another Opuntia had an open flower upon my return from work. I do not know, if this is a hybrid plant or if a species name can be assigned to it. Thus far it is low growing and I was surprised to see a number of flower buds on the relatively small plant.

Harald
Peterthecactusguy

Opuntia phaeancantha?
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

both the echinocactus and the opuntia flowers look very lovely!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
hegar

Post by hegar »

Thank you for the compliment, Arjen and thank you for the tentative identification of the Opuntia sp. cactus.
I had been putting prickly pear pads in the ground haphazardly and have absolutely no idea what they could become. There is a chance of getting closer with an actual identification of my "hairy Opuntia", because it looks like it is producing flower buds. If it does, I shall post them here and also ask a very knowledgeable person in New Mexico. Although this plant is a hybrid, the flower and perhaps the fruit could give some clue to its parentage.
Today yet another cactus had opened up its first blossom. It is the very common Gymnocalycium baldianum. This plant will flower for a long time and I find it easy to grow. :)

Harald
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

indeed it is! although easy to grow it has one of the most beautiful flowers of the genus, I have one in bud as well, can't wait!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Wonderful flowers all - especially the Echinocactus! I need to get me one of them!
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

That's a really nice and bold color for Gymno! Cool! =D>
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.