My Cacti 2012

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Arjen

Re: My Cacti 2012

Post by Arjen »

that ario looks almost natural! great plant and flower harald!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello everyone,
I still wanted to post images of the latest cactus to flower. It is a beautiful Ferocactus latispinus and I do not see blossoms on it every year.
In early 2011 due to a severe cold snap I dug the plant up and brought it inside, because I did not want it killed by the freeze. The plant did not flower that year. This year, however, I noticed five or six flower buds and the weather did cooperate. We do expect our first frost Monday night.
The first flower bud started to open on November 25th and the second one was open on November 30th. I had waited for perhaps the third one to open up, but that has not happened yet and the first two blossoms are finished. So, here are five images. I do love the deep purple color of the flowers.
Harald
majcka

Post by majcka »

It is magnificent. I would love to have such flower on any of my cactus.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Rod Smith

Post by Rod Smith »

Beautiful flowers & lovely photos.
Cactus enthusiast on and off since boyhood. I have a modest collection of cacti & succulents.
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Nice flowers! =D>
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Ivan C

Post by Ivan C »

Harald
I love the colour of the Ferocactus latispinus flowers. That one is going on my 'wish list' for sure
Thank-you!
Ivan
iann

Post by iann »

Powerful colour! Reminds me of the colour of some Stenocactus flowers.
--ian
hegar

Post by hegar »

Thank you very much for your replies. This is after all one of my favorite cacti, but it is only marginally suited to be planted outdoors here.
I was told by one of our very knowledgeable club members, who along with his wife has travelled extensively throughout the southwestern part of the U.S. and also into Mexico, that this Mexican native does flower twice in its natural habitat. I have no idea, why for all the El Paso members that do have this plant in their collection it will only bloom one time, and that is very late in the year (from the end of November until mid January), if the flower buds can be kept from freezing.
However, this plant is also rather handsome when not in flower, due to its shape, color and the very prominent colorful spines.
Until February 2011 I did have a second plant of Ferocactus latispinus, which was doing really well planted next to a rock wall. That one I did leave in the ground covered up, but it did not survive the freeze. This big plant is able to survive temperatures down to the low 20s without protection. Most likely I will be able to leave it in the ground for many years to come.

Harald
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

I love those colored flowers too. :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Lazz

Post by Lazz »

Beautiful flowers.
I have managed to kill 2 Ferocactus latispinus so far. Their flowers weren't coloured as well as yours.
They tried to flower in early autumn then I think the cold got them.
I have one left that is coming out of the ground at the end of summer here. It survived winter but has little yellow 'spots' on it.
Larry
CLOTU
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

very beautiful fero flowers!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Why did I not realize -- or forget, more likely -- latispinus had purple flowers! Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! Have 2, but probably still considered big seedlings -- @ 4 - 5" diameter, of course, in pots. Those blossoms are right up there with the Noto. uebelman. blossoms. Sorry @ your losing the one, but TFS (& saving) this one, Hagar! =D> N.B. Additional motivation to try to live another couple of years! :lol:
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Joel143

Post by Joel143 »

Beautiful blooms....wish mine was purple. Mine has pinkish flowers. I have a second one that hasn't bloomed yet that is suppose to be white blooms.
promethean_spark

Post by promethean_spark »

Actually, if you google pictures of Fero latispinus, many plants flower when they are still quite small (for a ferocactus). A 5" plant may only have a year to go.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Thanks for the "boost", Spark! Have several Fero's, but assumed they were still several years away from blooming! The red spines were what got me "hooked" on them anyway :lol:
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!