My Cacti 2012

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
hegar

My Cacti 2012

Post by hegar »

Well, it looks like spring is actually here once again. At least some of the cacti are showing signs of life.
About one week ago I took a few images, showing flower buds on some of the plants. If Mother Nature does not send some really bad weather my way, some of the cacti will have numerous blossoms, including one Echinocereus dasyacanthus on which I counted seven flower buds!
So, here are the first images of the plants most likely to flower first too.
First the only member I have of Echinocereus chloranthus. This plant is very commonly encountered all around El Paso, Texas. While I do enjoy its prolific flowering and handsome spines, the blossoms are not overly attractive to me. However, it is a tough plants and probably the oldest in my collection.

The next image shows two Echinocereus coccineus plants, also a very common cactus found in our vicinity. It does produce nice clumps and long-lasting flowers. By the way, I shall be going to the Orogrande area this coming April 7th to view those magnificent natural hybrids once more. So be on the look-out for images in the "Cacti Places" section
ImageImage
The last image does show an Echinocereus dasyacanthus, also a very common plant found around here. It produces huge blossoms and has a beautiful spine color, but those blossoms only last a day or two.

Well, this site is still not working correctly. So I do not know, if my post will be shown, but I do certainly hope so.

Harald
hegar

Re: My Cacti 2012

Post by hegar »

I just realized, that I posted the Echinocereus chloranthus twice and submitted only one image of the Echinocereus coccineus.
Here is the image I had intended to send.

Harriet

Post by Harriet »

I love springing Spring!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

It's always nice to have a lot of flower buds on your plants, they're the "flowers of your effort" :D
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

that will be quite a show!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

hey Harald.
we got some pretty crappy weather here in AZ. I will check my Echinocereus which will bloom for the first time this year after being....rescued from a flood in 2010 AND the other surviving being a cutting and then having to be rerooted after pigs tried to eat them....
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
hegar

Post by hegar »

I am still waiting for the first cactus to flower. The last few days were rather windy and not as warm. Today we even had some hail fall in parts of the city. Otherwise there was mostly a cool drizzle weather.
For tonight the expected low temperature is forecast to be around 34 degrees F. I hope, that the wind will die down some more. Otherwise the wind chill may do damage to the cactus flower buds.
It looks like I will be able for the first time to have a flowering Ancistrocactus (Sclerocactus) uncinatus. I had planted that kind of cactus before - it was a rescued plant - but the specimen refused to form roots and slowly died. This time around the cactus with two flower buds was purchased and is artificially propagated.
I have not yet been able to figure out, why some cacti do root easily, while others are extremely stubborn about forming roots, even when rooting hormone is applied. I am still not 100% certain that my big Ferocactus latispinus has become established again, after I dug it up shortly before the killing frost hit in February of last year. It still looks alive, but it seems to be smaller than it was before.
Well, I hope, that soon I will be able to post some images of cactus flowers.

Harald
John C

Post by John C »

Looking good! Nice to see the flower buds!
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

That looks great Harald. I'm looking forward to see your first flower pictures of this season.
Till now I haven't no life signs on my outdoor plants. Anyhow today is the first day of spring.
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.
(Wisdom of the Cree Indians)

Cacti encyclopedia | Facebook
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello,
finally the day arrived and my first cactus flower showed up. I had thought, that it would be the Echinocereus chloranthus, but it was one of my Echinocereus coccineus plants.
So, here is the first blossom as seen around 7 p.m. yestersday.

Around 2:30 p.m. the plant looked like this.

The Echinocereus chloranthus did open its first blossoms today. It is my second oldest cactus. When I received it it had only one stem. Now it has seven. It flowers over a long period of time, with many small blossoms. However, they are not as showy as those of most of my other cacti.
First up an overview. You can see the plant between two Echinocereus dasyacanthus cacti.ImageImageImage
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

Nice start to the flowering season. I'd give my right arm for a claret cup bloom at this point.
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

What a way to start the bloom season! Awesome!
hegar

Post by hegar »

Here are the latest images, some of which I took only one hour ago. All of them do show claret cup plants, one is a regular Echinocereus coccineus and the other one a hybrid. The latter does have larger salmon colored flowers.
Here we go:

Here are those pictures of a hybrid. In two weeks from now I am going to post many more of plants that do occur in the wild in Orogrande, New Mexico. Most of them will be on stems resembling those typical of E. coccineus. Hopefully, some will be on stems looking more like those produced by E. dasyacanthus or even E. chloranthus.
If you are interested in seeing these images, they will be located in the category called "Cacti Places" under the headline "Hybrid Cacti from Orogrande 2012".

Harald
ImageImageImage

I do not know, if anybody else has this problem, but the spacebar to my right cannot be moved downward. This makes it very difficult to type anything or enter images, because I cannot see what I am typing. I proofread after I have finished my sentences.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Beautiful flowers and plants, Harald! Always love your member topic.

peterb
Zone 9
jnspire

Post by jnspire »

Harald, They are gorgeous!
Excellent, your work has paid off! :)

I especially enjoy the orange/peach colored blossoms.
Jer.

-----
Moved to Hollywood, FL (hardiness zone 10b) in September 2022. Previously resided in Minnesota (zone 4b).