My Cacti 2012

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Arjen

Re: My Cacti 2012

Post by Arjen »

great looking flowers harald!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

TFS Harald! They all look really beautiful.
The salmon colored is an eye catcher indeed.
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.
(Wisdom of the Cree Indians)

Cacti encyclopedia | Facebook
hegar

Post by hegar »

Well, here I am again. I am going to post a few digital images of the latest cactus blossoms.
First two that show the Echinocereus chloranthus is still going strong. The photos were taken this afternoon.
Next are some more of that hybrid Echinocereus coccineus (roetteri?). The image with the seven open flowers was taken today the others on March 27th in the evening.
Also, another E. coccineus started to flower, but only has one blossom. However, the filaments are deep burgundy red.
One cactus surprisingly opened its flower bud today. The blossom is rather puny, measuring slightly less than 1 cm in diameter (about 1/3 inch). The plant is 4 cm tall (1.5 inches) and slightly more than 1 inch (3 cm) wide. I do not know what kind of cactus this is. I thoght, it could be Escobaria tuberculosa, but most likely that is wrong.

Ralf

Post by Ralf »

That are really beauties. Great shoots, Harald!
Thanks for your explanations. The Echinocereus coccineus hybrid could be indeed Echinocereus x roetteri also known as Lloyd's Hedgehog Cactus.
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.
(Wisdom of the Cree Indians)

Cacti encyclopedia | Facebook
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

whatever it is, I love the colour on those flowers!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Fantastic photos - love the Echino's!
Mark

Post by Mark »

Good looking plants Harald. :D
hegar

Post by hegar »

Thank you all for your positive replies. I hope, that this weekend I can add a few additional images to this thread.

Hey, Mark, are you going to go with us to Orogrande tomorrow?

Harald
Mark

Post by Mark »

Sadly no Harald. Im going to be at work until 1 :o
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

W :shock: W! The flowers on those Echinocereus hybrids are really something else.
hegar

Post by hegar »

I had been hoping, that I would be able to post images of three plants that sprang into bloom today. However only one did me the favor. It is one of my few miniatures, a Turbinicarpus valdezianus. I do have two of these plants, but the second one does not look good. It has always looked a little more scrappy than this plant and is smaller, despite having been in the ground one season longer. These tiny plants did survive a 72 hour freezing, with temperatures reaching 7 degrees F one night and 8 degrees the next, only covered by a piece of plastic tarp!
@ tumamoc: I am in the process of posting numberous digital images from my field trip yesterday to Orogrande, New Mexico's Jarilla Mountains. You will most likely some of these photos. They are being displayed in the "Cacti Places" part of this forum.

Harald
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Harald - do you remember approx. what temp got up to in day time on those 2 cold nights? I'm starting seeds for T. vald. in a couple of wks, but a couple seedlings might be recruited for "Cold-Hardy" experiment on south foundation of house. No doubt the near continuous gray, freq. wet (not snow), 30's :( would do them in - as most cacti, but can't believe we'll have a repeat of that combo for several years.
Peter
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Peter,
I do not recall what the high temperature reading was, but only that we did not reach 32 degrees Fahrenheit. However, I am certain, that the warmest it did get during those three awful days was not better than the upper 20 degree range to lower 30 degree one (28 degrees to 31 degrees). At least that is my guess.
For seed germination I am certain, that you will need substantially higher temperatures, most likely 60 degrees F or above. You probably already know, that seed left in too cold a growing medium and being moist will lead to the seed succumbing to rot. I have no idea about the optimal seed germination temperature for Turbinicarpus valdezianus. I have never produced cacti from seed by design. However, I do have some cactus seedlings that started to grow where I had cast some seed. By far most of the seed (over 95% of it) did not germinate though.

Harald
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Peter,
there is a topic called "Grown from Seed" under the headline "Propagation" on the Forum page. There might be some information available that will help you with your efforts.

Harald
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Harald - I've got a propagator going that's 3 months + (with the standard temp range). Read Grown From Seed beginning to end twice. I was thinking optimistically 2 yrs down the road! :roll:
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!