TimN 2012 Photo Topic

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
TimN

Re: TimN 2012 Photo Topic

Post by TimN »

tumamoc wrote:The plants all look great! And nicely displayed, too. I especially like the beautiful malachite juxtaposed with "Fred".

The Echinocereus knippelianus ssp. reyesii is interesting--I've never seen knips bloom on top like that. If that was my plant, it would have a bunch of bird holes in it.
I only get bird holes in my lithops and pliospilos. They stay away from the E. knippelianus. There's one version of E. knippelianus that blooms from the top (ssp. reyesii) and one that blooms from the sides. The one that blooms from the top has many more flowers and flowers over a longer period, in my experience.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
TimN

Post by TimN »

RichR wrote: How do get your plants to bloom so prodigiously?
Well, I think it's my watering and feeding regimen. Although there are some who claim my watering and feeding regimen has been "discredited" and is "nuts."

I prefer to let the results speak for themselves...
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
TimN

Post by TimN »

A few flower pictures from my extended hiatus...
Mammillaria sphaerica
Mammillaria sphaerica
M sphaerica.jpg (76.02 KiB) Viewed 2348 times
A. myriostigma with 13 flowers
A. myriostigma with 13 flowers
A myrio 2.jpg (78.65 KiB) Viewed 2348 times
Same plant, wider view...
Same plant, wider view...
A myrio 1.jpg (42.37 KiB) Viewed 2348 times
It's making a baby brother/sister...
It's making a baby brother/sister...
Astro seedling.jpg (92.61 KiB) Viewed 2348 times
Ariocarpus agavoides
Ariocarpus agavoides
A agavoides.jpg (60.51 KiB) Viewed 2348 times
Ariocarpus fissuratus
Ariocarpus fissuratus
A fissuratus 1.jpg (82.22 KiB) Viewed 2348 times
Ariocarpus retusus
Ariocarpus retusus
A retusus 1.jpg (61.6 KiB) Viewed 2348 times

Tim
peterb

Post by peterb »

Fantastic stuff, Tim. What is your watering and feeding regimen? Is there a thread here (forgive me for forgetting, if so).

peterb
Zone 9
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Beautiful!!!!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Nice Arios! =D>
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Really love that sphaerica - but, truly they are all beauties!
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Amazing sphaerica! Wish mine would bloom like that, my flowers hardly clear the spines for some reason.
TimN

Post by TimN »

Thanks everyone! One of the things I like the best about the M. sphaerica is the nice lemony scent they give off.

I have two of them. Here's a picture of both of them. They made a second set of flowers, not as many as the first set...
M. sphaerica
M. sphaerica
M sphaerica.jpg (77.6 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
Some small plants grown from seed from the other two...
Some small plants grown from seed from the other two...
M sphaerica 2.jpg (68.5 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
The first two are in 6" pots. The seedings are in 2.25" pots.

Tim
TimN

Post by TimN »

peterb wrote:Fantastic stuff, Tim. What is your watering and feeding regimen? Is there a thread here (forgive me for forgetting, if so).

peterb
I use a regimen based on articles in the CSSA Journal by Malcom Burleigh, Elton Roberts and D. Russell Wagner.

I asked for and received reprints in PDF form from the authors a while ago. Unfortunately, I can't attach them to a message because of size and/or format. If you want them, let me know and I'll email them to you. Or you can contact the authors directly, they will be happy to send them to you.

Here are the specifics on the published articles.

1. Acidic Solutions, CSSA Journal, Malcom Burleigh, Elton Roberts, D Russell Wagner 80/5 Sept-Oct 2008, pp. 245-250.
2. Ammonium, Nitrogen and Acidic Water for Xerophytic Plant Growth, Elton Roberts, Malcom Burleigh, CSSA Journal 82/4 July-Aug 2010, pp. 176-181.
3. Watering Systems for Success in Growing Plants, Using Low pH and Ammonium Nitrogen, Elton Roberts and Malcom Burleigh CSSA Journal 82/6 Nov-Dec 2010, pp. 266-275.

I use citric acid to acidulate the water. I like it the best because I only need about one tablespoon per 30 gallons of water as opposed to 2 cups of acetic acid (vinegar.) I generally need about 60 gallons of water for my plants. See, I told you I have too many plants!

I recommend their regimen enthusiastically. If you have any complaints or disputes with their findings, please address them directly to the authors, not me.

Other contributing factors (in my opinion) are that I live in Central Arizona and my plants receive astounding amounts of solar radiation as well as warmth. I also water the heck out of my plants. I, for one, like big puffy plants.

My tap water is usually like this:
8.0-8.2 pH
375-450ppm dissolved crapola

I believe both of those are pretty extreme for tap water.

I also let the water sit for a couple of days before use to allow the chlorine to float away.

Tim
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Welcome back from hiatus! As you said, results speak for themselves! The Parodia you saved from mites -- looks gorgeous!
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
peterb

Post by peterb »

Oh, yes, the acidified water does make a huge difference, there's no doubt. I have those articles in the Journal and use a modified approach, mostly out of laziness. I also count on slightly acidic rain water several times a year. Great looking plants!

peterb
Zone 9
TimN

Post by TimN »

Thanks Peter. We haven't had much rain up here this year. I always prefer rainwater.

I found a place in phoenix by the airport to get citric acid in bulk. Using vinegar makes things smell like pickles. :D

Tim
Tony

Post by Tony »

Looking forward to seeing more of your "big puffy plants" this year Tim, everything looks great as usual! :D
I'm doing the same thing basically, but I'm still pickling mine. :P
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
RichR

Post by RichR »

I have a rainwater collection system.

This is probably a stupid question, but if my rain water is not in the 5-5.5 pH range, do I need to acidify it to bring it down?

Are you supposed to still add the ammonium sulfate to rainwater in this regimen?