Strukto 2012

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Arjen

Re: Strukto 2012

Post by Arjen »

yes, that is normally my viewpoint too

first of, it may seem that they don't look alike, however I have Sulcorebutia species that look a LOT like a Weingartia, for example look up: sp. HS213, sp. torotoro or W. nadae

in the case of Weingartia the following thing happened and imo made it impossible to ignore plant relationships except for nostalgic reasons:

the new cactus lexicon lumped all Rebutia, Sulcorebutia, Weingartia and Cintia plants into one genus, that was (like most lumping in the NCL) provisional.
that is why a lot of people still firmly believe these plants to be Rebutia, scientific research has caught up with that though... so to answer that, the NCL is outdated on these plants.
research has shown that Weingartia, Cintia and Sulcorebutia can not be seen separately, and that Rebutia isn't related at all, thus the revision into one genus.
so these plants were lumped, splitted and then lumped again, however this time on a more solid ground.

if you want to know more about the how and why, here are some articles about it, I recommend you use google translate, english summaries are probably available but I don't have them myself:

the revision of the genus:
http://www.english.sulcopassion.be/0039_2008.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

taxonomic changes based on the revision:
http://www.sulco-gertel.de/media/33a810" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 144226.pdf

an article in english on the relations between the genera rebutia, weingartia and echinopsis:
http://www.english.sulcopassion.be/0107_2001.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the research by Ritz et. al, including a very clear cladogram:
http://www.amjbot.org/content/94/8/1321.full.pdf+html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

this may well be the last flower for the season but what a beauty!
sclerocactus uncinatus ssp. uncinatus
sclerocactus uncinatus ssp. uncinatus 060912.JPG
sclerocactus uncinatus ssp. uncinatus 060912.JPG (21.9 KiB) Viewed 1009 times
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
majcka

Post by majcka »

Arjen wrote:this may well be the last flower for the season but what a beauty!
sclerocactus uncinatus ssp. uncinatus
sclerocactus uncinatus ssp. uncinatus 060912.JPG
Yellow flower?! I must say I'm shocked.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

That's a very nice flower you have there! =D> There will be more next year! :D
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

thanks!
oh boy, I hope I'm not becoming known as that guy with the yellow flowers :oops:
to my defense: there is a hint of green in the flower
majcka

Post by majcka »

Arjen wrote:thanks!
oh boy, I hope I'm not becoming known as that guy with the yellow flowers :oops:
to my defense: there is a hint of green in the flower
Not green. I would expect brown(ish). Or not???
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Arjen

Post by Arjen »

the only thing remotely brown about it are the tips of the outer petals, the rest is a slightly greenish yellow
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Arjen, there's nothing at all wrong with yellow flowers. Yellow is a happy color, it attracts bees and such for pollination, and it's the color of the sun. Pretty soon we'll all be lamenting the cold, gray days of autumn and the lack of warm summer sun. So, I hope that gives you a reason (and everyone else) to love yellow! :D
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

when you like weingartias s.s. it's impossible not to admit you like yellow flowers, pretty much the same goes for copiapoa lovers
you did just give me an extra reason to like them ;)