Minime8484's C&S Collection - 2012

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
gemhunter178

Re: Minime8484's C&S Collection - 2012

Post by gemhunter178 »

Looks nice! :D
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

A surprise bloomer this week...that I was lucky enough to find last night when I got home from a 5 day break - so glad I didn't miss it!

Haageocereus versicolor var. aureispinus - opened at night:
Haageocereus versicolor var. aureispinus (night)
Haageocereus versicolor var. aureispinus (night)
Haageocereus versicolor var. aureispinus (2012-Nov19)A.JPG (21.49 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
Stayed open long enough in the morning to get a semi-day photo:
Haageocereus versicolor var. aureispinus (Day)
Haageocereus versicolor var. aureispinus (Day)
Haageocereus versicolor var. aureispinus (2012-Nov19)B.JPG (28.27 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

hmm that is an interesting plant :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

great looking plant and flower, how large and old is the plant?
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Arjen wrote:great looking plant and flower, how large and old is the plant?
Thanks! I've only had it for about a year, so can't say how old it is, but it is about 2 ft tall with 3 arms (bloom is on the tallest arm) and grew about 6 inches since I got it.
Lazz

Post by Lazz »

I just looked at pages 1 to 15. =D>
What a great collection you have. Beautiful blooms.
I think I spotted the unknown Cleistocactus you have that looks like mine.
I need to get more Echinocereus I think :)
Larry
Larry
CLOTU
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

What better way to spend the winter doldrums than to sleuth out your most-wanted cactus?

An early Xmas Present to myself just arrived today - all Cleistocactus relatives (Of course!).
Super stoked to have found my most wanted species: Cleistocactus xylorhizus.
Almost all with great data and grown from field-collected seed, and all from the fantastic nursery Sacred Succulents (CA).

From L-R and T-B:
- C. fieldianus - this is a cutting sold to me of a monstrose form; a friend of mine loves monstrose and crested cacti, so I figured it would be a nice Xmas present! = )
- C. plagiostoma - cutting from a plant they grew from seed coll in 1993; one of the two new species of Cleisto's for my collection in this batch! Now, I just have to get it to root; the flowers on this species are a vibrant violet!
- C. sp. - they had this labeled as "Cleistocactus/Haageocereus sp?" from seed collected another botanist in S Ecuador; however, to my knowledge, Haageocereus doesn't make it into Ecuador at all, and now that I have the plant, I'm sure it is probably C. sepium, but it will be exciting to see it mature.
- C. fieldianus - I have a couple of plants of this species already, but this is my first one grown from field-collected seed with specific locality info.
- C. buchtienii - As with the previous, I have one of this species already, but wanted a nice data-rich specimen!
- C. sp. - This is a plant SS grew from seed from a customer that did some collecting in Bolivia; so, with exact locality data (Yotala), will be interesting to see which one of the many species in the area this one might be!
- C. xylorhizus - It must be a really slow-grower as it is over 2 yrs old from seed, but only 2" tall! That's OK. I'm patient (OK...well, sometimes...)

That might hold me until Spring.
Might. :D
Cleistocactus spp. (Sacred Succulents)
Cleistocactus spp. (Sacred Succulents)
Sacred Succulents (12-14-12).JPG (74.75 KiB) Viewed 1452 times
Last edited by Minime8484 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Tristian,
nice! I am starting to look for sources of Opuntia. ;) Maybe someday I will find some of those that I want! :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Beautiful plants Tristan. I know next to nothing about Cleistocactus, so I will watch your topic in future years to learn a lesson or two.

peterb
Zone 9
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

One last shopping spree for 2012!
As Santa well knows, I am EXTREMELY easy to buy for...and that was proven again this week when he delivered a nice gift certificate to my nearby C&S store (AZ Cactus Sales)!

So this week, I headed over there to see what I could come home with - these are the results:
BOX 1
Back - Astrophytum ornatum, Agave attenuata
Front - Thrixanthocereus (=Espostoa) blossfeldiorum, Thelocactus bicolor var. bolaensis, Notocactus magnificus
And the tiny one in the very front/right corner - Turbinicarpus pseudomacrochele (purchased as Turbinicarpus sp., but I think I've ID'd it correctly now based on help from this site!)

BOX 2
Back - Mammilloydia candida, Notocactus elegans (=Parodia arnostiana), Ferocactus macrodiscus
Front - Copiapoa haseltonia, Thelocactus hexaedrophurus

Not too bad! Can't wait to plant them out!

Hope Santa was good to everyone! = )
Xmas C&S Haul
Xmas C&S Haul
IMG_1355.JPG (95.65 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Nice new additions! =D>
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
philwilliams

Post by philwilliams »

Nice plants, but I dont think the ID on that Agave is correct - if it is an Agave
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

philwilliams wrote:Nice plants, but I dont think the ID on that Agave is correct - if it is an Agave
Thanks!
Agave attenuata is one of the rather anomalous Agave species and can be somewhat confusing in that it has very soft leaves and forms a nice little 'trunk'...definitely one of the more non-Agave-like Agaves, but an Agave nonetheless! :D
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

nice new additions!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)