Snowfella's cactus trials

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
TimN

Post by TimN »

Wow, your collection is really growing. Everything is looking like it's revving up for spring!
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

:oops: Just grew alittle more too :roll:

Went to get some varied Mesemb's and came home with another handful of cactii, no Mesemb's though. lol

Back row, left to right: Aloe Hybrid, M. Elongata, Echinocereus sp, Tephrocactus sp, Chamaecereus silvestrii
Middle row: P. nelii, M. spinosissima, E. grusonii, Neoporteria sp.
Front row: Mammillaria sp, Gymnocalycium, M. carmenae.

Saw the name for this one on another label but can't for the life of me remember it :roll:

M. spinosissima...not 100% convinced of that label with those hooked centrals.

The Neoporteria, could be anything really.

And a pink flowering M. carmenae to go with my white flowering one.
Christer Johansson

Post by Christer Johansson »

What's the topping you are using? Looks very good :thumbright:

Very nice plants as well :)
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Not really sure what it is as that's the way they come from the nursery and I've never really bothered asking them where they get it from. Might not even give me a straight answer on that as they also sell it by the bag, small bags they charge the same that I pay for 5kg bags of grey or black aquarium gravel in another shop. :roll:
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Went all the way back to the nursery today to figure out the name for that unknown Mammillaria, if it's correct then it turns out to be a cultivar.

Mammillaria ginsa-maru according to the label.

And didn't make it home empty handed, somehow a P. scotti monstrose and an A. myostigma followed me home. :oops:

SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Had some fun repotting and rearranging the bench today and after I finished I figured it was time to take some photos of the whole collection minus whatever I have growing outdoors already...so excuse the photo bomb that's incoming.

Whole bench as it stands today, going to have to build another one very shortly.
Overflow stacked on the bbq, mostly all of these will be planted out once I finish the new raised bed.

Closer looks at the main bench, tried doing it in row's of 3 at a time.
Mixed Mammillaria's living on the left side of the bench with some Gymno's thrown in in the last row.

Astro's, Noto/Parodia's and some Rebutias. Think there's an Echinocereus that snuck in there aswell.

Some more Rebutia's, some Matucana's and a general mix of others.

Right side of the bench, mixed plants still to be repotted.

Upper level
Mammillaria's and a stray Fero.

Mixed. 3 Fero's, 2 Echinocereus, a Mammillaria, an Echinopsis, an Astro and a Echinocactus.

Last bit on the top shelf, even more of a mix.

And lastly a flat of tiny's that right now live underneath the main portion of the bench, can see it far left in the first photo.

To think a mere 9 months ago I only had a handful of plants :shock:
lancer99

Post by lancer99 »

Great collection!

Any idea what Tephrocactus species that is? The spines are pretty amazing.

Thx,
-R
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Very tidy collection!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

very nice setup! yours is probably the fastest growing collection I've ever seen! you almost buy new plants on a daily basis
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

:oops:
Maybe not every day but generally a few a week I think. lol
Guess I swapped one addiction, smoking, for another...when I quit I all of a sudden ended up with a fair bit of extra money to blow on whatever I wanted :lol:

@Lancer: no real idea what kinda Tephrocactus it is, not even 100% sure it's a Tephrocactus as I've bought plants from this place in the past that has had that label and turned out to be Maihueniopsis.
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Here's abit of early spring growth.

My Burro's tail has gone absolutely bonkers since I had to repot it last year. Can't say I'm looking forward to having to repot it again anytime soon as I lost darn near half the plant last time around, it just fell apart whenever I touched it.

Unknown little Aloe outside seems to be liking it enough to kick up a flowerstalk.

O. microdasys putting on some new pads, 8 or 9 at once. :shock:

And lastly proof that the wife really need to shorten my leash....did it again :oops:
Got no real idea what most of them are though.

Unknown with what looks to be 10 buds cooking

Another unknown that's hiding it's buds well, 6 or 7 cooking in there.
Stenocereus of some sort also nursing some buds

Unknown Gymno with even more buds.

Complete unknown that also is hiding it's buds well.

And what I think is an Echinocereus of some sort.

Forgot to take a photos of the little Astro capricorne.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

see, I told you yesterday didn't I! ;)

very nice new additions, the one hiding it's buds may very well be thelocactus macdowelii
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

That you did..lol

They also had a handful of big mature Melo's that I both passed on and brough home at the same time. Swiped a handful of seedpods they were sprouting and I now have an absolute buttload of seeds to sow :lol:
Sutremaine

Post by Sutremaine »

I've got a Gymnocalycium exactly like the purplish one with the bubble-gum pink flower stems. The label said it was a 'Raspberry Ripple', and there's no info to be found on Google. You could probably pull some of those pups off and root them, since they have enough chlorophyll to turn them that purple-brown colour.

I thought I bought a lot of plants in my first year of collecting (last year :) I've been good, I've only bought about a dozen this year). Stenocactus in particular seem to throw out masses of spines given the opportunity, so they're a nice garden centre find.
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Spring is here....atleast if I was to trust some Rebutia's that is. All are newish purchases so I can't take credit for the blooms, don't even know what species they are...I just picked 4 with different flower colours :lol:

4th one is still working on it's buds, just as most of my other cactii.

M. carmenae is joining in though, still plenty more buds on it left too.

M. bocasana is just starting out.

Even my P. nellii is joining in.

Got to fix a better photo setup here, the black background right now is just a black tshirt tossed on the ground :lol: