Snowfella's cactus trials

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
majcka

Post by majcka »

I belive you're right about m. madisoniorum, because it looks exactly like mine.
I love it.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Lovely plants!
Really love the Mammillaria mazatlanensis - what a showoff for a Mamm!
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

The size of the flowers on that Mamm kinda suprised me too, same with the M. madisoniorum! Wasn't expecting the stems to get this tall. :D
ImageImage

Can see trouble brewing with my TBM, or should that be ELM nowadays :lol: 2 new stems busting out, not a good place for the lower one though. :|

Another little N. scopa is going funny aswell, every areole up top is throwing out an offset.

Also got some buds forming on an outdoors living Lobivia that I have high hopes for, aslong as I can keep the slugs from calling them a late night snack that is. :evil:
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

beautiful pics, I love that matucana!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Finally some new flower action, been a dull few months here due to the weather.

M. schiedeana is popping them out again, need to set this one up with some stronger light though as it's starting to look alittle bad.

M. polythele inermis flowering for the first time for me.

Hoping the summer finally will come properly in February but forecast still calls for yet another solid week of rainy days :(
majcka

Post by majcka »

SnowFella wrote:M. polythele inermis flowering for the first time for me.
That one looks nice (the other one to). Looks exactly like mine last year. Now it's asleep and hope to flower again this year as previous one.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Be fun to hear if the M. Polythele plants the wife gave her workmates for christmas are flowering too, had to pot up 6 of them for her to give away. One promptly got dropped and knocked out of its pot on the day it was given! Lol
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

A few random photos out of frustration, nomatter what I try here I'm getting eoliation from lack of sunlight. Mostly everything is going eoliated, think it's due to the mostly overcast days we are having combined with relatively hot and humid days.

Case in point, poor little Rebutia.

Same with some my Mammillaria's, this one M. crinta ssp wildii

This little Copiapoa finally broke through a case of getting chewed, with some new healty growth.

Got my fingers crossed this little Rebutia will do the same :(

This unknown, chewed and eoliated Mamm is going nuts with offsets.

Least there are some good news, my Melo "rescue" is still going strong.

The 2 new stems of my TBM/ELM keeps on growing, still worried how the lower on will fare in the longrun though.

Lastly 2 photos of different M. vetula gracilis mostrose plants, showing 2 very different kinds of growth. 1st used to reside in my now waterlogged winebarrel planter.
SnowFella

Re: Snowfella's cactus trials

Post by SnowFella »

First day of a short holiday break, first planned time off from work since July and it's well needed, so I dragged the wife off for some cactii hunting. Got absolutely no room left on the benches so I have no idea where to put these new ones but I'm sure I'll figure something out! :lol:

Left to right
Parodia ?, Euphorbia ?, Coryphanta cornifera, Pereskopsis ?, Mammillaria nivosa, Gymnocalycium ?

Closer look at the Euphorbia, the "line" down the back is alittle bit more fuzzy

The Parodia, hooked spines galore!

And the Gymno, somehow don't think that bud will be allowed to open :lol:

One of my Opuntiads all of a sudden desided to put out some spines to rival it's E. brigesii neighbour
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

More rain on the horizon here, they are talking about it as "one of the biggest rain events in recent history" so I guess we are in for another soaking! After this summer any flower action is a welcome sight, heck even keeping the plants alive is a welcome change! With the rain and humidity I've watered less then what I did last summer but casualties are mounting, gave them a gentle watering the other week before going away a few days and came home to one Espostoa, one Mammillaria duweii and my Echinocereus papillosus turned to mush. Managed to save the tip of the E. papillosus and it's currently resting pending a later repot/re-root.

M. phodanata ssp pringlei putting out some flowers at last.

M. shiedeana still going strong.

My "rescue" Melocactus is working on both flowers and seedpods at the same time.

An hour or so later both buds had opened.

Lastly 2 randoms.
Outdoors bed that last week had a river of water flowing through it.
Compared to when I planted them out in May last year.
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5933/dsc00211va.jpg

And wife's little pachypodium is trying to outdo the local palmtrees with it's "crown", only had a handful of leaves when we got it. Guess it must like full sun and all the rain that's been dumped on it lately.
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Nice! I see that Melocactus is not giving up, actually thriving!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
mughal113

Post by mughal113 »

SnowFella wrote: And the Gymno, somehow don't think that bud will be allowed to open :lol:
Do you know the name of this gymno? I think I have this one...
-Mughal
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Unfortunately not, it came without label.
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

To keep in line with current conditions here's some rainwet cactii :roll:

Rescue Melocactus with fruits, 6 fruits already picked, 4 remaining and more forming by the looks of things.

Parodia lenninghausii that just a few hours ago was standing in inch deep water.

Mammillaria mystax in the same bed, this one didn't get flooded but I'm sure it got it's feet wet!
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Some random's from today, was spurred to bring out the camera when I spotted something new on my M. duweii.

Went out the other week and especially tracked down a hook spined M. duweii...so what does my "regular" duweii go and do you think?
:lol:

Little M. mammillaris that I never managed to catch with flowers during the summer is proving I just wasn't looking close enough.

Funny how 2 M. bocasana's can grow so differently in the same spot.

M. rhodanata pringlei keeps flowering

Unknown Gymno I picked up the other week, stood out like a sore thumb on the bench. Not sure what's going on with it's colour.

And it's likely going to get smelly out back soon.

Neighbour in the pot also has a bud