Snowfella's cactus trials

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
SnowFella

Re: Snowfella's cactus trials

Post by SnowFella »

Finally a sunny day again after some more rain and high winds, been warned about possible frost overnight so winter is most definately on down here.

My salmon coloured Zygo finally caught up, it's the smallest one I have. Still got 2 more zygo's working on buds though.

M. hahniana is alot earlier this year than last, or is that later than last year 8-[

And although small plants and just one bud open each it's fun to see both my M. vetula ssp gracilis plants flowering at the same time.
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Always nice to get blooms in the winter, and these are super!
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

lovely, I wouldn't expect these in winter, except for the zygo of course
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Funny enough I've also noticed some other Mammillaria's also starting to set buds. Think they are confused as with my bench setup they acctually get more direct sunlight in winter than in summer, the awning above blocks most direct sunlight in summer but come winter and the lower standing sun and they get plenty of direct sunlight.
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Some buds are starting to form here even though I'm right smack in the middle of winter.

P. haselbergii

M. bombycina

M. carmenae, kinda shocked this one has buds as it lost all it's roots over summer plus got attacked by mites.

Guess these buds were to be expected though, poor little sun starved Aloe hybrid

And lastly 2 Schlumbergera's that still are in bloom. Think the second one could be more akin a true christmas cactus with flowers opening evenly.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Have all of those plants, SnowFella :D And they really kept me going in January, because I'm betting you still get more sun than upstate NY winters! :(
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

winter can't stop you! beautiful plants and flowers!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Here's another winter flowering Mamm, M. plumosa in a 6.5inch pot.

Can take absolutely no credit for the flowers on this one as I just came home with it, it's a plant I passed on getting 2 weeks ago and finally today broke down and changed my mind...lucky it still was on the nursery bench where I saw it last. :D Now I'll likely have exactly the same feelings about another one I left behind today, handball sized plant labeled Soehrensia oreopepon (Echinopsis formosa) :lol:
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

very nice! now go get that echinopsis ;)
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Wife would kill me if I did that though! :shock: Already had to give her one piece of "bad" news today (that I was heading back to the nursery for this plant) and I've got a second bit to bring up later (that I'm once again turning her into a computer widow having today come out of "retirement" from 3D modeling). A third strike I'm afraid would result either in a lengthy stay in the doghouse or a pillow over the head in my sleep. 8-[
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Nice looking addition! This is one that I would still look nice without a flower! ...not that there aren't many....
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

And then there's the pink flowered form that you "need" -- well you gotta have both :roll:! And it's not very big - you could squeeze that in somewhere :wink: Tell your wife it's a "backup". Oh, I forgot, I'm divorced & don't have to deal with any of that. :D Forget all of this, Snowfella!
Peter
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

The M. bombycina finally opened up some of the buds today, more to come too by the looks of things. Can't wait for spring to hit and have the rest join in!
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Well, spring is around the corner and we have had glorious weather the last few days. Still down to low single C temps during the night but daytime it's been clear skies and low 20's so everything is starting to wake up with flowers, buds and new growth.

M. bombycina keeps going,lots of buds in the making.

M. scrippsiana following suit.

One of my 2 M. fuschohamata's, the other one unfortunately didn't survive winter.

T. horripilus working on some new areoles, my my other one is doing the same but strangely enough they have no colouring to them.

First Euphorbia to flower for me.

Black centrals on Stenocactus

And one of my G. baldianums is going weird on me.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

interesting to see that almost all your winter bloomers are mamms!

the strange growth on your baldianum is an indication that it was damaged somehow