Snowfella's cactus trials

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Looking good, mate!
Nice potting table, your back and knees will surely thank you :)
hob

Post by hob »

Tony wrote: I think your yellow flowered steno is Stenocactus vaupelianus.
i would have expected more wool on the top on vaupelianus however after looking in Pilbeams book i can't come up with a better name :?

so i have to agree with you :)

Stenocactus vaupelianus
http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16729
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Cheers guys.
Unfortunately I found another unhappy one today, my M ginzamaru cultivar is but a memory...for some reason it started rotting midbody and is a total loss. Oh well, gave me one new spot on the bench for something else I guess. :lol:

Finally recieved the extension tube's I ordered for the camera a month ago and had to try them out, what better subject than that E. senilis :roll:

SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

As cruel as it might sound for all living in the northern hemisphere it's finally starting to warm up down here :lol: Spent the last 3 days with daytime temps up in the low 30's (nearing 90F) in the shade and everything is responding nicely. I'm like a kid in a candy store every afternoon when I get home from work :oops:

First some flowers.
Mammillaria zeilmanniana, even the little offset want's to join in.

Mammillaria zeilmanniana "albiflora"

Mammillaria bombycina

Mammillaria crinta ssp wildii, very different shaped flowers compared to my earlier one.

Very ratty looking unknown Mamm that I "saved" from a roadside stall some months ago, thanking me with an impressive amount of buds.

Mammillaria schiedeana....think there's a flower there :lol:

And then for some promises of what's to come. :D
Newly purchased Echinocereus....yep, even with the bud on it that's what the label said.

Parodia buiningii, talk about fuzz balls!

Parodia uebelmannianus is not far behind.

Unknown Rebutia in full bud.

Another Rebutia also showing off, funny enough one side is sporting buds while the other seems more intrested in offsetting.

Unknown little Echinopsis working on a bud.

Mammillaria rhodanata, largest Mamm I have so far.

Mammillaria duveii working on some buds, none yet on my hooked spined one though.

Mammillaria magnimamma, I think.

Mammillaria scrippsiana, again not 100% sure on that ID.

Mammillaria candida, yes there's a bud there somewhere...can't really figure out how it will make it past the spines though :lol:

And lastly something I'm dying to see open, my gifted Epi/Hylo/whatever hybrid. Biggest bud is nearly 3 inches long now.
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Wops, forgot 3 of the more exciting buds for me...on the inground living cactii :D They made it through a for Sydney fairly cold winter with lots of rain and 3 have now started working on some buds.

Unknown Echinopsis living with some others in a half winebarrel, another bud on the opposite side of it aswell.

Another unknown, think it came with a Lobivia label.

And another unknown, think Lobivia here aswell. Fairly sure that fuzzy thing is a bud.

Looked very different when I planted it out, it's closest to the camera in the below photo...since been moved from the winebarrel into the ground properly.
(Click to enlarge)
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

great looking plants! the white pebbles almost make it look like you've planted them in the snow

your new echinocereus is gymnocalicium bruchii, the unknown echinopsis with the bud is e. subdenudata
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

It didn't stay in bud for long though, went from a small spherical bud to flower in less than a week.

Gymnocalycium bruchii var. niveum....aka that Echinocereus :lol:

The Parodia haselbergii ssp graessneri has finally caught up, bloody hard to capture the colour of those petals!

And what came as a M. elegans is sporting just about a full ring now, more buds to come
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

:oops:
It happened again, went to grab some pots and came home with another handful :lol:

If the label are right it's 3 different Hylo species.
Left to right: H. megalanthus, H. polyrhizus and H. undatus. Beats me if they are right though but it will be fun trying to find out!

Closer look at the small ones at the front.
E. scoullar (E. eriesii) Ferocactus latispinus
Gymnocalycium sp, Mammillaria uncinata, Mammillaria sp
And finally some hints at growth on my rooted singlepad opuntiads.

And an artsy shot of the main stem of my M. geometrizans.
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

:D :thumbup: Beautiful plants!! :thumbup:

Love the top shot of the M. geometrizans.. =D>

Top shots are my fav really shows off how stunning cacti are.. :wink:
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
Artur89

Post by Artur89 »

SnowFella wrote: Another unknown, think it came with a Lobivia label.

And another unknown, think Lobivia here aswell. Fairly sure that fuzzy thing is a bud.
Hi, I know the expert about Lobivia, so I will ask him for the identification of these plants. Do you have any picture of flower?

Btw. - really nice thorns :o
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Unfortunately no flower pictures from these yet, first summer they are seeing in my care so I'm still waiting for them to flower. With any luck those fuzzy bits are buds and I'll have flowers soon if the weather co-operates.

Here's another shot of that second one, taken just with those spines in mind.
(Click for full 2000x1400 image)

Thanks *Barracuda_47* Love the symmetry in that shot, really ought to of "processed" it on the desktop that has Photoshop though rather than on the laptop that only has MS paint :lol:
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Finally some sunshine after near a week of rain and clouds.

Mammillaria rhodanata in bloom at last, was worried about this one a few months back when I noticed it hardly had roots at all during a repot.

Unknown Mamm sporting a whole ring, be 2 or 3 more rings in the making there!

New unknown Stenocactus, just couldn,t walk past those spines. Go bright red if I wet them.

Edit: here's 3 photos of the suspected Disocactus that opened it's first bud today. There's still 4 buds to go aswell.
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Few more from today, still more to come aswell as there's plenty of buds on the way.
First some Mammillaria's, since that genus make up near half of my collection now.
Unknown little Mammillaria

Little Mammillaria glassii

Little Mammillaria duweii in full show, my hooked spine one still refuses to show even a single bud.

Another tiny one, this time Mammillaria unchinata. Very shallow/wide flowers on this one.

Unknown little clumping Mammillaria showing off.

My M. rhodanata is still going strong.
[img]http:600:496]http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7314/dsc00197dh.jpg[/img]

Then the remaining flowers.
Rebutia, came without name but guessing R. krainziana

Another Rebutia, same story for this one but I think it might be R. pulvinosa

And lastly the first Notocactus/parodia for the season. N. buiningii
[img]
Still not warm enough for it to open fully it seems.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

great looking flowers!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Another nice and sunny day here today...and even so some of the flowers refused to open fully. Or maybe they do open while I'm at work and close by the time I get home again.

Chamaecereus silvestrii, or likely a hybrid of some sort. Least this one opens fully, even though that red colour kills the sensor in the camera.

Echinocereus papillosus, it's opened this much for days now. Talk about a downer after waiting near 2 months for this bud!

Little Mammillaria magnimamma with a problem, every bud has a spine growing across it that stops the flowers from opening all the way.

Mammillaria candida, somehow managed to poke through that covering of spines.

Mammillaria matudae, plenty of buds in reserve.

Now for some buds, most of my Notocactuses and Gymno's has buds now but I haven't taken any photos of them yet...these are the ones I'm dying to see though.

Mammillaria baumii

Mammillaria sphaerica

Mammillaria fuschohamata, a second plant as I think the first I got might of gone to the great cactii desert in heaven during winter. Like that one though this plant is odd and offsetts like mad.

Mammillaria sphacelata ssp viperina, started a new offset on the back and also now some buds.

Unknown that came with a iffy Neoporteria label, pretty sure those are buds forming though.
[img]http:600:593]http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/6709/dsc00024nv.jpg[/img]

And lastly a Turbinicarpus horripilus that seem to be both offsetting and going to flower.