Snowfella's cactus trials

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Artur89

Post by Artur89 »

SnowFella wrote:

And at 2pm, not long before the storm hit.
ImageImage
Are you sure that's E. oxygona? Nice flower looks like some hybrid :wink:
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Only thing I'm sure of is that it's some kind of Echinopsis that opened during the night. :lol: Came simply with an Echinopsis sp label so it could easily be a hybrid of some sort.
It's changed quite a bit in appearance though since I planted it outdoors, lots heavier and thinker spines on the new growth compared to old.
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Some more flowers aswell as new additions.

2nd Lobivia outdoors flowered, and something promptly took a bite out of it. :roll:

Another Lobivia on the bench suprised me yesterday
ImageImage

Now for the new additions.
Left to right: R. heliosa x albiflora, G. baldianum, Ferocactus sp, Pachypodium lamerei, Matucana sp, Cochemiea maritima, M. spinosissima and Echinocereus 'inermis'

Some closer looks.
Cochemiea maritima, not looking forward to repotting this one!

Got red flowering G. baldianum but this pinkish one stood out from the rest.

Likely your garden variety F. glaucescens but claimed it just incase it's something odd. Most areoles on this one seem to be doing something fishy.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

very nice new additions!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Cheers.

Had both up's and downs here lately, coming home to new flowers being parts of the positive ofcource. That something ate all 3 buds on that redflowering Lobivia from my last post was one of the downers, never got to see either fully open.

A trio of Noto's here today, along with a "late" Gymno and what I believe is an Eriosyce heinrichiana.

N. ottonis, showiest of the 3.
ImageImage

The other 2 I'm not 100% sure what they are other than having a fair clue they are Noto/Parodias.
1st of the 2.
ImageImage

2nd.
ImageImage

Gymnocalycium stellatum wanted to join in on the fun.
ImageImage

And lastly the suspected E. heinrichiana, bought with only a Neoporteria label. Still need to repot this one, but judging by the buds it's happy for now in the original soil and plastic pot.
ImageImage
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

great looking flowers, especially the eriosyce is very beautiful!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Angie

Post by Angie »

Nice newcomers ...
I suppose, that your F. glaucescens is a F. histrix - beautiful colored spines!

Greetings,
Angie
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Could be anything really as none of the Fero's I've bough has come with a species tag, not even 100% sure they all are Fero's really as one seem to have multiple slightly hooked spines.

Misserable overcast, rainy and cool weather here so there hasn't been much happening in the last 2 days.
Another Echinopsis, likely E. oxygona, opened last night though.
ImageImage

And I added 2 new friends yesterday, got a gift certificate for the local bigbox store as a birthday gift the other day and just couldn't pass on these 2 :lol:
Chamaelobivia hybrid 'Fire Chief' and an unlabeled Ferocactus.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

I love the flower colour on that echinopsis
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Got lucky with that one as the earlier outdoors Echonopsis had a flower open at the same time so I tried cross polinating them, be interesting to see if anything took.

Getting another snap change in weather here, from warm and humid for a 2 days to a week of rain and cold...dropped 10C in just a matter of minutes this afternoon.

2 more Gymno's joined the fun before the change and the E. heinrichiana opened it's other 3 buds.

Id'd as G. baldianum but I have my doubts still.
ImageImage

G. stenopleurum, looking greenish again now that I have moved it to the back of the bench.
ImageImage

And the E. heinrichiana
hob

Post by hob »

Id'd as G. baldianum but I have my doubts still.
you are right to doubt it, baldianum has red flowers, i can't give you a better name though :dontknow:
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Not just that that makes me doubt it, ribs ans spines just look so different from my other G. baldianum's. Going to do some diggin in Pilbeams Gymno book tomorrow and see what i can find.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

whatever it is, it has a beautiful flower! I just love that red heart with those white petals!
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Have to admit I'm not as desperate to get an ID as I once was, plenty on the bench that only has a genus on the label and that doesn't make them any less beautiful.

Another day and another few additions here :oops:
Unknown madly clumping Sulco, what I think is G. mihanovichii and a suspected Notocactus roseoluteus.
The Sulco seems to want to divide it's main head, know nothing about them so I'm not sure if that's something they usually do.

Least these 2 won't require to many repots and I'm pretty sure they are immune to mealies. :lol:
And the last new addition was given to me by one of the wife's workmates, with kids and pets around that kept on knocking it over she felt she couldn't keep taking care of it. Got no real idea what I'll do with it to be honest, needs a repot and some tlc to turn into anything I suspect. Scale feels kinda off in the photo though, it's a 2 foot tall plant in a 12inch pot.

While talking to her I found out that while she likes cactii she's a sucker for Lithops so while out yesterday I picked up 2 small pots that the wife can give her on the weekend, can't just take a cactus she's had for years and not give something in return.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Looking good! :)
Have you run out of room yet? :lol:
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony