Snowfella's cactus trials

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

lovely flowers! for some strange reason I always manage to kill m. bocasana :oops:
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) LOOKING GOOD!! :thumbup: Awsome collection you have there.. :wink:
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Thanks

Being the first year of the insanity I have to say I'm alittle bit suprised that I'm not seeing any obvious winter casulaties yet, everything has spent the whole winter outdoors.
Seeing plenty of new growth everywhere aswell as buds though. :D
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Oh, and it's not just buds that are starting. There's new growth everywhere, most obvious on previously "damaged" plants.

Little A. ornatum that something started chewing on last summer.
Today
A few months ago.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/98/dsc001051p.jpg/

Unknown Gymno bought at a roadside stall, almost looked like the center was burned when I got it...now there's healthy green growth visible, along with some buds aswell.
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

The 4th little Rebutia finally came out in bloom, quite a vivid purple colour on this one.

Followed by a recently purchased M. crinta ssp wildii that's working on a full ring or 2.

Even one of my 2 M. elongata is playing along now.

The "chestbuster" on my Echinocereus papillosus is getting bigger.

Can't wait for this one to finally explode, no label but I think it's an Eriosyce senilis.

And couldn't stay away from my "dealer" for long so I ended up with some new ones again. :oops:
Went with a plan this time though and came home with just what I was planning.....plus some extras. :lol:
Here's what I planned to get, madly pupping L. williamsii

And one I still can't place fully... Came as M. matudae, has tubercles and spination like one but also sports hooked centrals.

And lastly some I couldn't walk past without taking photos of at the "dealers" place.
C. strausii about to go ballistic!

3 foot mound of what I think is M. compressa is about to explode aswell.
Closeup of just one head.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

great looking plants and flowers! especially the suspected e. senilis
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Finally came home with something usefull for a change! Up untill now I've done all my repotting without a table to do it on, bent over with all the gear sitting on the ground. That's started getting more and more painful though after a recent lower back injury but as I from an early age has suffered SM syndrome (Stubborn Male syndrome, wife for some unknown reason calls it Stupid Male syndome though)I've persisted. Went to get some algecide for the pool and ran into potting tables on special at the local Aldi store. :D Hopefully it will allow me to repot more than just a plant or 2 before I have to give my back a break.

Still not warm enough here to entice those E. senilis buds to open. :(
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Think I've just found my first spring casualty, smallish M. prolifera that even though it's got buds starting also looks like it's about to rot. Oh well, least it isn't one that is hard to find again I guess.

M. hahniana is still going strong.

M. crinta ssp wildii is going nuts

M. carmenae.....or is it laui, put it up for ID too, going for broke aswell.

And finally an unknown Stenocactus opened some of it's buds.

Still can't get the buds on that suspected E. senilis to open even if I toss it out in full sun...could more heat do the trick?
cooky173

Post by cooky173 »

I don't know that you will need more heat, mine are open fairly well even in the morning, and I think they are opening through the day when I am not at home.

I'd say wait a few more days and they will probably be open.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

so funny to see spring there while it's beginning to look more and more like autumn here, nice flowers!
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Yup, spring is coming fast here. According to http://www.weatherzone.com.au my nearest suburb hit just over 27 degrees at the height of the day today, warm enough that I've stared getting the pool ready for summer. Still 5 degrees below my swim threshold in the water though, won't get my toes wet untill it hits 25C :lol:

Perfect day for me to start the work on that raised cactus patch, got most of the diggin for the retainingwalls concrete footing done today and fingers crossed I'll be pouring concrete by friday!
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Took a walk with the camera yesterday to see what new was cooking.

Another of my Steno's didn't want to be outdone by it's yellow flowering mate.

The mate has more flowers cooking though, there's another 4 or so buds hiding under the 2 that are open now.

P. haselbergii ssp graessneri is trying to catch up with my regular haselbergii.

The E. papillosus "chestbuster" is growing larger still. Can't wait for this one to go all the way.

Little Mamm Id'd as M. heyderi a few weeks ago finally opened one if it's buds. Still not 100% sure about that ID though.

And this was just a hint of growth before I went on holidays in July, not bad growth considdering it's happened through winter.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

I really like those steno flowers! I had one with a bud last spring, unfortunately it aborted..
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Looking at a few days of sunshine and higher temps up towards the 85F marker this week so I'm hoping for a flower explosion on the bench =P~ Mostly all my Mammillaria's has buds by now and some of the others ain't far behind.

Think I just about can fill out a label for this one by now, Eriosyce senilis
Think I have another E. senilis aswell, just with white somewhat denser spines.

And the P. haselbergii is stubbornly holding onto it's bud without opening it all the way.
Tony

Post by Tony »

They all look very happy. :)
I think your yellow flowered steno is Stenocactus vaupelianus.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony