Snowfella's cactus trials

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
SnowFella

Re: Snowfella's cactus trials

Post by SnowFella »

Indeed, I've got a few Gymno's that are throwing buds aswell as my P. haselbergii but the rest in flower or bud at the moment are all Mamm's. Well, not counting Sclumbergeras that is, some of them are still going.

Yup, it's been damaged at some stage. But what's up with that left new head though? It's way to furry compared to the right one, it's also pup on pup with the lower almost looking variegated.
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Glorious spring day, well not really spring just yet but it felt like it, here so I couldn't keep from breaking the camera out.

M. mystax keeps on going, judging by the amount of buds for quite alot longer I'd say.

Neighbouring M. compressa is finally opening some buds aswell.

Unknown aloe/hawortia throwing up a flowerstem.

Unknown Lobivia made it through winter and showing some new growth.

Thought this M. heyderi was a loss but it's showing some faint new growth and one bud forming.

Lots of new growth and buds on my Epi's.

And lastly 4 new additions from earlier on today, neither with any labels :roll: All in 2inch pots.

Guessing Eriosyce subgibbosa in bud

Unknown Stenocactus in bud

Unknown Mammillaria with buds just starting to form. Least I think it's a Mamm :lol:

And what I'm guessing is a Rebutia, possibly Lobivia. :-k
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

nice looking plants!

the last one looks a bit too big to be a rebutia, I think lobivia or maybe parodia
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Not bad for a winter day in Australia. :lol:
That remembers me that our winter is coming soon. Too soon. :idea:
I agree with Arjen, the last one is definitively a Lobivia. Maybe Lobivia densispina or somewhat similar.
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.
(Wisdom of the Cree Indians)

Cacti encyclopedia | Facebook
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Can't complain with winters around the Sydney area, can keep mostly all my plants outside all year round without really having to worry to much. They get a nice cool rest while still getting plenty of sunlight. Still keep them dry for the winter aswell as I can manage, outdoors ones and the Epi's have been subjected to the elements though.

And I can live with Lobivia, did look Mediolobivia to me when I picked it off the bench so I guess I wasn't all to far from the mark!
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Weird weather here today, officially it isn't even spring yet but it still crept up to 29C with a warm wind blowing. Quite alot of wind in the afternoon with gust nearing the 100km/h mark bringin in an afternoon thunderstorm. Had to anchor down my small plastic greenhouses with bricks to keep them from taking off and was at one stage getting worried my plastic overflow bench would collapse from the gusts.
Did have its' upside though as the heat forced out some more flowers and had me spot lots more buds forming, even an Echinopsis is starting to set buds.

1st non Mammillaria flower for the season went to a little Rebutia marsoneri.

M. zeilmanianna albiflora

M. crinta ssp wildii, this one was a singleheader when I got it last year.
M. crinta

M. bombycina
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Excellent "grab", Snowfella! -- & they didn't miss a beat :D Knew they had found their Cactus Daddy! :lol: Last unknown, to me, looks like my Lobivia wrightiana ssp winterii :-k
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Beautiful plants & flowers!
majcka

Post by majcka »

Your winter isn't even over yet and you already have flowering cacti. My summer is almost over and my cacti just started to flower. ](*,)

Is there any justice in the world? :-k

Nice pieces BTW. Image

So you will not think I enwy you.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Still having weird weather, poor little plants must really be getting confused here by now. The other morning we had our worst morning frost of the winter, got up to go to work and both lawns and roofs were covered in white, daytime though it's warmer than normal. Hit nearly 30C in the shade today and I just zapped one of the plants in the sun with a tempgun, 48C on the surface :shock: Think it just might be time to start watering gently or they will dehydrate to far :-k

More plants other than the Mammillaria's are starting to come out in bloom now.
2nd R. marsoneri

P. haselbergii

E. subgibbosa

M. microhelia, has to fight to get the buds out through the spines.

Unknown Aloe in the outdoors bed. My Aloe vera is also working on a flowerstalk, wife has vetoed the plant as it looks awful but I'm going to let it flower one last time before trying to give it away or junking it.

1st bud on my P. lenninghausii

Can faintly see the new offsets forming on the C. peruvians in the background of the above photo, seems to be wanting to start 3 new branches from groundlevel...hopefully that will slow the main stem down as it's starting to get awfully tall. Put in as a 6 inch cutting 2 and a half yars ago and it's now pushing 5 foot, likely going to have to take a chainsaw to it before too long as I just don't want it to start leaning over the fence into the neighbours yard.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

spring is really starting for you! great looking flowers!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
majcka

Post by majcka »

Oh my g..... That orange flowered Rebutia. Image

Others too, no ofence. But....That orange flowered Rebutia......
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Very nice! =D> I like how summer may be ending here, but for some spring is springing! :D
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

What a great start you have this year!
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

It's nice to see that your spring has begun. Here faces the fall in front of the door.
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.
(Wisdom of the Cree Indians)

Cacti encyclopedia | Facebook