Snowfella's cactus trials

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

very beautiful! noto's are so showy! I think the submammulosus is actually turecekiana
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Cheers.

Some Gymno action today, it really isn't warm enough for them to reliably open fully and by the weather prognosis it's unlikely to be warm enough anytime soon.

Unknown little one in a 5.5cm pot. Opened just about all the way after some hours out in drect sunlight.
ImageImage

Identified as G. baldianum some weeks ago in this forum, I'm not 100% confident with that ID however. Opened just enough to give a hint of a red throat on the flower.
ImageImage

G. anisitsii, I think. Been taunting me for a week now and this is asfar as I've seen it open, also after hours of baking out in the sun.
ImageImage
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

stunning flowers! your baldianum is probably a hybrid, deduced from its looks and the white flower
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Could well be mate. Although I've seen G. platenese over at cactus-art and their photos match my "baldianum" almost flawlessly.
http://www.cactuspedia.info/schede/GYMN ... atense.htm

No1 might well be G. ragonesii after some diggin.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

looks like you're on to something, it DOES look a lot alike!
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Came home to some new flowers today, might also get to see my first Echinopsis in bloom tonight as my E. oxygona seems about ready to pop.

Rebutia neocumingii, still some more buds to open.
ImageImage

Unknown Gymno, likely G. anisitsii.
ImageImage

The G. platenese or whatever it is from the oher day saw fit to open fully.

And a promise of what's to come, love the pattern on these buds! A. myriostigma.
Lazz

Post by Lazz »

They are looking good. Nice pictures. BTW Did you ever organize your road trip to Northern Victoria?
Larry
CLOTU
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Never got around to it unfortunately mate. Just had to many things up in the air lately to really have a chance to plan anything, oh well...always be other chances to go.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Such a fantastic display this early in the season for you. You must have treated them perfectly during your winter. Wait until the neocumingii gets larger; those yellow flowers will encircle the body and it will look like a potful of sunshine! And I think that Astrophytum buds are the most intriguing and beautiful of all buds. Here's to a great season for you!
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Cheers mate.

And indeed, looks like my treatment of them during winter agreed with them. Lucky for me it won't be to hard to repeat as I just left them outside under roof and simply ignored them the whole winter. :lol: Think I've only found 2 casualties and they were likely due to the bad soilmix I started out using.

Been out most of the day here so the Astro had mostly closed it's buds again by the time I got home, hope for better luck tomorrow. Did take a few photo's though just for good measure, lots more flowers around but these stood out.

First the Astro. Kind of surprised this one is still alive from what I found when I repotted it a few months ago, hardly any roots and atleast 5 accordion folds of collapsed growth hidden in the topdressing.

Repeat offender Gymnocalycium baldianum.

Some outside buds that hardly could get any bigger or they will explode.
Lobivia of some sort.

And what I think is E. oxygona, be keeping an eye on this after dark!

Lastly a very nice suprise as I thought this one really was a loss from the getgo, my bigbox salvage Melocactus. Most that saw photos of it figured it to be beyond help and rotting from the top, then it cranked out some healthy fruits a few months back....and today it shocked me by doing this.
First Melo flower :alien:
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

:D FANTASTIC bloom shots, there all BEAUTIFUL!!! :thumbup:
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Thanks.

Got real lucky here today as I managed to snap both the Lobivia and the E. oxygona in bloom before a storm rolled in and just about flattened the flowers totally. Had I got home an hour later I would of missed them in full glory.
Both of these made it through a pretty poor winter for Sydney standards, colder and with more rain than usual.

E. Oxygona at 4:30am this morning.
ImageImage

And at 2pm, not long before the storm hit.
ImageImage

The Lobivia at the same time.
ImageImage

And a second Lobivia also in budd in the same gardenbed.

And repeats of the A. myriostigma and G. ragonesii, caught them both fully open at last.
ImageImage
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

great show!
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

WOW! Nice!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
SkyClan Cat

Post by SkyClan Cat »

These are nice. :)

Anyone else think that E. oxygona looks like it's doing jazz hands? :lol: