My small collection

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
DesertSun

Re: My small collection

Post by DesertSun »

hahaha, you are so funny!
"The best fertilizer is the gardener's own shadow"
Chinese proverb
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

I've been reading the new replies for like forever! Besides gymnos and parodias, i wanna recommend lobivia and echinopsis. They all have interesting shapes and AMAZING flowers (even pure species, without hybridization). Chamaelobivia are very good too!
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

ElieEstephane wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:29 pm I've been reading the new replies for like forever! Besides gymnos and parodias, i wanna recommend lobivia and echinopsis. They all have interesting shapes and AMAZING flowers (even pure species, without hybridization). Chamaelobivia are very good too!
Everything ball shaped is good! With small flowers, large flowers, stunning flowers or modest flowers.
This reminded me of an small incident we had here in Finland last year. We have this children cartoon called Moomin quite popular here since 1990, everybody loves it, from juniors to seniors. Suddenly they decided to dub it with new voice actors. People got angry, I got annoyed. Why?? Yeah, of course there were some sentences here and there which quite don't belong in this decade (for example: "stupid woman! Cleaning doesn't help") but mostly those things were so strongly connected to the situation going on, they were just funny. People were saying almost all of has seen the cartoon, there's nothing wrong with it. Some have even grew up with it and didn't grow twisted.
Twisted hmm... I remembered one sentence from one episode, where inventor called Niisku invented new aircraft and after that said: "This new round shape titillates me!" Maybe the show really did make me grow twisted after all? :lol: :lol:
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

I think i grew twisted because of the amount of times i hit my head doing stupid things as a child (and sadly as a teen) :lol: that and tom and jerry! But we all grew quite fine and are doing will in life.
People now are extremely oversensitive if you ask me [-(
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

Pompom wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:28 pm It would be easier if I preferred columnar cacti since they don't need that much space in diameter, but I adore the spherical ones which need more space in diameter.
I know English lessons are not why you came to this forum, but in the interest of wanting to help you out just a little let me make a couple of corrections to your English usage. Instead of "space in diameter" , I think you mean "square footage" , and when you say "spherical ones" , I think the more proper word you should use is "globular". I hope you take no offense to this, as it is strictly meant in the "wanting to help" department! I'm only making a minor correction here, not making fun of you.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:29 pm .. , i wanna recommend lobivia and echinopsis.
I love the Echinopsis as the flowers they make are SO big. I have several, and some of the flowers are as big as 5 inces (almost 13cm) across.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

WayneByerly wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:23 amI know English lessons are not why you came to this forum, but in the interest of wanting to help you out just a little let me make a couple of corrections to your English usage. I'm only making a minor correction here, not making fun of you.
Thanks for the correction Wayne! You know, the misspelling came partly because I was too lazy to pick the right word from translator. Finnish is one of the most hardest languages in the world, partly because many words have the same meaning, mostly by something I can't say in english, cause I don't know the words... When you write the word in finnish meaning ”globular”, you'll get 7 different words in english. I just kinda picked one hoping it's the right one. :lol:
Sorry if I upset your inner grammar police :lol: :lol: I'm one too, but only in Finnish.
Fun fact from Finland: We have to pick one other language to learn when in third grade swedish or english (most people pick english). In fourth we must pick another one, swedish, french or germany at least. I picked swedish. When we go to junior high school (i really hope this is the right word, 7th grade in school) the swedish becomes mandatory school subject. I've never been that great in languages, didn't learn everything from the theory part of finnish grammar and because of that all the other languages became hard to study since the books had grammar words in finnish. Then in upper secondary school, I needed more course credits so I had to pick couple of spain courses. I also had finnish, english and swedish classes so I got confused and didn't learn anything at all, barely got trough. In vocational school I had also frech and germany. Didn't learn anything.
So basically, if I were better in languages, I'd speak 6 different languages. I only know finnish, can somehow read and write in english (my pronounciation is horrible), say two sentences in swedish (”my name is” and ”i don't speak swedish”) and others couple of words here and there.
It's nice to have an opportunity to learn different languages but too many at time is just too many.
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

And returning to the subject ”finnish is hard”. There is a sentence meaning many different things in english:
Kuusi palaa
That usually means six pieces, but also means your moon is on fire, your moon returns, six of them is on fire, six of them return, the number six is on fire, the number six returns, the spurce is on fire and the spurce returns... we have many words which mean different things based on the situation and subject we talk.

Edit. Found this picture from imgur, maybe it opens up a little bit more why finnish is hard... https://m.imgur.com/gallery/NdqH7
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Pompom wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:49 am And returning to the subject ”finnish is hard”. There is a sentence meaning many different things in english:
Kuusi palaa
That usually means six pieces, but also means your moon is on fire, your moon returns, six of them is on fire, six of them return, the number six is on fire, the number six returns, the spurce is on fire and the spurce returns... we have many words which mean different things based on the situation and subject we talk.

Edit. Found this picture from imgur, maybe it opens up a little bit more why finnish is hard... https://m.imgur.com/gallery/NdqH7
HAHAHAHA! That is hilarious! In your language it would seem very normal but try to explaim that to someone and you'll be like i can't explain my own language :lol:
My main language is Arabic and it's the second hardest language after Mandarin. To make matters worse, Lebanese arabic is even harder than regular arabic since as you say in finnish a world or a phrase can have a dozen of meanings depending on the context. Don't let me even get started on grammar, it's extremely complex to us and foreigners. This year i found an French tourist while hikimg and i was surprised he speaks fluent Arabic. Turns out it took him 5 years!
Here in school, french and english are a must. Spanish and italian and german are optionnal. But if you speak french you'll find these languages all very similar.
Found this on 9gag. 6 meaning for the same word but that's an understatement because it has even more :lol:
adp3VVd_700b.jpg
adp3VVd_700b.jpg (31.49 KiB) Viewed 676 times
If english wasn't so easy, internationnal.communication would be so hard
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

ElieEstephane wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:50 am My main language is Arabic and it's the second hardest language after Mandarin. To make matters worse, Lebanese arabic is even harder than regular arabic since as you say in finnish a world or a phrase can have a dozen of meanings depending on the context. Don't let me even get started on grammar, it's extremely complex to us and foreigners. This year i found an French tourist while hikimg and i was surprised he speaks fluent Arabic. Turns out it took him 5 years!
Found this on 9gag. 6 meaning for the same word but that's an understatement because it has even more :lol:
adp3VVd_700b.jpg
If english wasn't so easy, internationnal.communication would be so hard
Guess we are in same boat with our languages :lol:
Arabic and other languages with different alphabet would be hard for anyone who is used to use the latin script. I don't know how long it would take to learn to speak fluent finnish, quite quickly in bad way but fluent i really don't know. Even after you've learnt to speak standard finnish, you have to learn spoken finnish. The accent varies between every city, and I mostly speak my accent mixed with standard language but can't use other accents but can understand them. Mostly, not all the time. For excample here in lapland when we say ”lervata” we mean to puke but in the southern parts of finland that means to fall down repeatedly. And this is just a accent question, we have many different ways to say those things, this is just one. We also have this ”mennä pahki” mennä is to go and pahki means nothing alone. ”Mennä pahki” means to hit wall or other vertical object partly accidentally not that hard to injure oneself but hard enough to make noice. People in south are not familiar with this sentence.
Glad english is there and unites people around the world!
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

Pompom wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:16 am Thanks for the correction Wayne! You know, the misspelling came partly because I was too lazy to pick the right word from translator.... Sorry if I upset your inner grammar police :
Please don't misunderstand. I'm not the grammar police, and I did not provide the little correction that I made because it upset me. I was simply trying to help you with the proper Cactus word (because because that's the forum we are in) and providing a small correction regarding square footage. Personally I think you do an amazing job knowing more than one language. I myself can only speak one. And do not always do a good job of that. Because you speak more than one language, I have a great deal of respect for you. My attempt at correcting your English usage was no different than my trying to correct your care of cacti. Just an attempt to help. Not to be a grammar snob. Please, please don't be offended.
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

WayneByerly wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:17 pmMy attempt at correcting your English usage was no different than my trying to correct your care of cacti. Just an attempt to help. Not to be a grammar snob. Please, please don't be offended.
Thanks for the help also wayne! I'm not the easiest one to offend, so don't worry, i'm not feeling offended right now. :mrgreen: I'm usually happy-go-lucky person with a tint of melancholy so little correction doesn't really bother me. Sorry if I sounded like that #-o
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:50 am My main language is Arabic
I was married to a christian arab girl from Israel once. She tried to teach me Arabic while we were together, but i didn't cooperate very well thinking "we're in the U.S. ... we need to speak English here." it was just a practical choice. I worked a lot of hours, and I didn't have any extra time to commit to learning another language.
تحدث الي. مرحبا. انها مخيفة. أنا نعم. لا.
Was about as far as i ever got... And it has been more than 20 years since I learned even that. I took 3 years of German in high school, but it's been almost 50 years since that, and without anyway to practice it, I don't remember much of it. I'm really very glad for the Google Translate app.

I'm not sure if I remember this correctly, but isn't it the official policy of the Swedish Navy to speak English?

There is an electronic device available now that you can split into two pieces and you give one piece to someone that doesn't speak any of your language. And the device knows to translate the language spoken into one piece of the device into the language spoken into the other piece of the device. Having people everywhere speak English is convenient, but it is now no longer absolutely necessary.

I'm sorry to post a topic about languages spoken, but this forum does serve people everywhere in the world, and we must communicate. So I actually do think that this is a proper subject for this forum.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

Pompom wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:43 pm Thanks for the help also wayne! I'm not the easiest one to offend, so don't worry, i'm not feeling offended right now.
Thanks, I appreciate that very much. I noticed that you only joined the Forum here this last December. Meaning that you are very new here. So I would like to say
Tervetuloa foorumiin. Olemme erittäin iloisia, että olet täällä.

That is from Google translate. I hope it's grammatically correct. I have no way of determining that for myself.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

WayneByerly wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:48 pm
ElieEstephane wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:50 am My main language is Arabic
I was married to a christian arab girl from Israel once. She tried to teach me Arabic while we were together, but i didn't cooperate very well thinking "we're in the U.S. ... we need to speak English here." it was just a practical choice. I worked a lot of hours, and I didn't have any extra time to commit to learning another language.
تحدث الي. مرحبا. انها مخيفة. أنا نعم. لا.
Was about as far as i ever got... And it has been more than 20 years since I learned even that. I took 3 years of German in high school, but it's been almost 50 years since that, and without anyway to practice it, I don't remember much of it. I'm really very glad for the Google Translate app.

I'm not sure if I remember this correctly, but isn't it the official policy of the Swedish Navy to speak English?

There is an electronic device available now that you can split into two pieces and you give one piece to someone that doesn't speak any of your language. And the device knows to translate the language spoken into one piece of the device into the language spoken into the other piece of the device. Having people everywhere speak English is convenient, but it is now no longer absolutely necessary.

I'm sorry to post a topic about languages spoken, but this forum does serve people everywhere in the world, and we must communicate. So I actually do think that this is a proper subject for this forum.
Here's a good one for you wayne صبّار (pronounced sabbar) means cactus in arabic