I'm going to build a greenhouse

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Dmyerswny, i belive Daiv keeps his cacti indoors durring the winter months like i do, his winters are close to the same as what i get.
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
Dmyerswny

Post by Dmyerswny »

Ok then... I'm used to horrible lake effect snow driven winters and I was thinking of doing a green house similar (smaller) to this one. Then I got to thinking of how hard it would be to keep warm. Taking the plants inside is probably the best thing though.
Thirsty for knowledge. Please water me more than your cactus!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hi! Tracey is right. I bring them in from Nov 1 to May 1. I have a propane heater that I run on either end for nights that get frosty. It is not at all air tight and with only 4mil plastic, it cools down to outside air temps very quickly. It is way too cold here. Even a well-insulated glass greenhouse would be very expensive to heat here.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
floyd

Post by floyd »

daiv..Nice project and I hope you did't throw the chair away that is shown in your first photos. There are people driving all over looking for great treasures like that :P Old barns are something that I always enjoy looking at. Thanks for sharing the details of construction etc.
Lets Grow Cacti!!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

The chair? Ha! It is still around, but I burned the matching table last year. It was cheap! cheap! cheap! and not that old either. Made of pine so soft that you could easily dent it with your fingernail.
fracture

Post by fracture »

If the rain shreds it,fiberglass sheets are a good alternative if you can find them!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

fracture wrote:If the rain shreds it,fiberglass sheets are a good alternative if you can find them!
You talking about the plastic sheeting? The UV treated 4 mil. stuff has proven to be very durable. It looks as good now as when I put it on. It is rated to last 4 years.

For the roof, the polycarbonate sheets are definitely superior to fiberglass. You can literally drive a truck over these and they'd go right back into shape. The only drawback with the polycarbonate is the price. :?
fracture

Post by fracture »

It looks really good,glad to hear your satisfied! I have seen people living out
of something that nice.