Aquarium to Greenhouse

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
globose

Aquarium to Greenhouse

Post by globose »

Looking at the 'free' section on Craigslist, people are giving away old fish tanks and supplies like candy. I'm going to pick one up with a hood light later this evening to move some seedlings in there for the winter.

My plan is to put a strip of aluminum foil around the sides and the bottom. That along with the light should probably be enough to keep it warm, but I guess I will find out. I think a 14 watt CFL light bulb should do the trick.

When I get the project going I'll try and take some pictures with my phone, although they won't be high quality it'll be enough to get the gist.

If you have tried this, how did it go? Any pointers?
globose

Re: Aquarium to Greenhouse

Post by globose »

Here's what I got so far. Some fingerprints on the glass. Carrying a fish tank on the bus is sweaty work.
Attachments
WIN_20140824_224023.JPG
WIN_20140824_224023.JPG (27.6 KiB) Viewed 6753 times
WIN_20140824_224031.JPG
WIN_20140824_224031.JPG (26.91 KiB) Viewed 6753 times
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I use a old jewellery store display case and it had a light inside but it recently went out so i gatta get a new one, and if that isn't the case the the wiring might need to be grounded again :( but it works nonetheless
kpj35

Post by kpj35 »

I use a 10 gallon fishtank. I insulated the sides, made a lid with 2 compact fluorescent lights (I can't remember the wattage off the top of my head) and some vents, and cut a piece of plexiglass for the pots to rest on. The plexiglass is on 2" legs and underneath is filled with water and a small aquarium heater so that I can bottom-heat the pots. The only problem: now it's all filled up and I need more room haha!! This hobby sure is addicting ;)
7george

Post by 7george »

Oh, yes, it is addictive. Years ago I used similar one but with sunlight. My present is much smaller but I take out grown up seedlings and also hoping to shut it down finally very soon, so I'll be done with sowing again. All sunny spots are already taken at home.

The only thing I see wrong at the pictures - lamps are way too far from plants and these became unhealthy elongated. I would put a small table/support/wooden blocks inside to brings pots with seedlings up.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8