Allotment greenhouse Overhaul =^-^=

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Eutow_Intermedium

Allotment greenhouse Overhaul =^-^=

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

Recently I have enlisted a friend to help me do some work inside the Greenhouse at the Allotment.

None other than the musical legend that is Tony P . He was taught by the Greatest Back Slide guitar player Alan Higgins. Tony not only plays Keyboard, Bass, Drums and Slide Guitar , but he also works as a painter and even some Carpentry.

This man is a great friend of mine and has recently started to himself collect Cacti and Succulents, a few of which I have provided. He seems to be leaning more in the direction of succulents it seems :)

Here are some pics of the Allotment greenhouse going under a small transformation.

First three are of the Greenhouse completely empty apart from two Tomato plants and some sections of Temporary decking wood. This is an ongoing project , so expect more further pictures to come.

As you can see the Lower bench that was built by my father remains on the right, thats staying.

The Left side, and currently my Tomato corner. This is the section of the Greenhouse I want to create a small raised brick bed filled with soil, that I can plant a few lucky specimens that can do whatever they wish.

And there Right hand back corner, showing the main plant bench. The Blue coloured lightweight shelf has been removed as you can see.

Various pieces of wood used in the Brin storming process, and a very basic diagram was drawn in the book. But on this day Tony P and I spent all our efforts on the Front left corner of the greenhouse building a two level stage with an overhang , that I can either continue to cover with wood , or utilise for watering trays.

The entire contents of the Allotment Greenhouse collection that and to be removed by Kim and myself and laid out on the grass .

Tony P at work on creating the two level stage with overhang

And installed in the Front left corner of the Allotment Greenhouse , crammed into a corner with a hammer and electric Screwdriver out of view.

The new two level stage made of Reclaimed timber and Cedar wood temporary decking panels.

With plants reinstated. As you can see my Spine of older Thelocactus are at the back. Then some Gymnocalyciums in front of them , Mammilarias to the right side and the vivid red hooked spines of Ferocactus Latispinus.

And the Crazy amount of Chamaecereus silvestrii cuttings that I took of the old Barbra Cook's plant. These re now their own plants and are beginning to trail. I rely need to shift some of these :lol:

From the other end.

Two year old Echeveria Cuspidata Zaragozae plants , Mammilaria Prolifera Texana and a Mammilaria Elongata buried at the back there somewhere. Also couple of Opuntia Bulbispina and Mammilaria Spinosissima ( un pico ) cuttings. Wish em luck !

Also on the top stage There is a Rebutia Albipilosa and next to the F. Latispinus there is a smaller Ferocactus, probably a F. Histrix i'd guess. That square pot right at the end is a Gymnocalycium Bruchii , and it's hideous . I care not if it dies. I am done with those.

And the man himself in action

Tony P in action with Buffalo Bill Smith with Harmonica , Roger Wagner on Bass . Ritchie I think it is on Drums and Big Tony Walker on Guitar on the left somewhere..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHdJqCbf4-c

TO BE CONTINUED . . . .

oldcat61

Re: Allotment greenhouse Overhaul =^-^=

Post by oldcat61 »

Sometime, perhaps you can explain exactly what the "allotment" & Nash's conservancy are. Sue
Eutow_Intermedium

Yea I spose I could .

I guess they remain a mystery to all of you.

I tend to go on just about the cacti , and completely overlook the surrounding land

But as you can see in the two pictures of the plants on the ground. The allotment is basically a miniature fruit , veg and fruit tree patch that you rent for a small amount of money each year.

I will have to put up some pics of Nash's Garden and Conservatory another day.
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Sort of like a community garden? Who do you rent it from? Government agency? Sounds like a long term arrangement if you've built a GH. We have them more in urban areas, so I've not had any first hand experience. Kind of a way to teach kids that food doesn't come from a box. Sue
Eutow_Intermedium

This allotment site or Plots of land is actually one of the largest in my town. It has up to 400 individual mini veg patches.

You can with have a full size allotment or half size allotment for a reduced rent. I have a half plot, had it since 1996. My father has two and half plots and has one the Silverware at least 14 or 15 times . Thorpe Memorial Cup and in 1992 the Presidents Cup ( best kept allotment ) So you can see where I get my Horticultural interest from.

I guess you could call it a Community Garden. The site is actually a Private allotments site run by the AWSLG ltd

Adiscombe Woodside and Shirley leisure gardens .

*nods*

Trust me an allotment is an addiction. Almost as bad as Alcohol and Drugs. Once you have your own mini veg patch, you just can't leave or give it up. Maybe it's because you put all your work into your patch and watch it transform. The fruit trees you planted begging to grow bigger and produce fruit.

I planted an apple tree on my little patch in 1998 , and it's turned out to be an awesome cropper , just one of the reasons I won't let go of it. This year my Pear Tree has a much better crop on it. Thats a relatively young tree , say five or more years, I can't remember. Then I planted a plum tree in 2011 or 12 that came from the Ruined Sports Centre at Anerley, where the South London artists do their graffiti. Thats a small yellow ( french ) Mirabel plum. Then this year I planted Victoria Plum and an Egremont Russet apple tree. Which completely changed the design of my plot of land .

So work is never done

=^_~=
Eutow_Intermedium

Today the GF and I managed to lug the next lot of wood for upgrading the staging in the Allotment Greenhouse over there.

Via walking, tram, walk and a bus back , and repeat again.

Lots of 38x38mm square and 50x50mm square timber.

The next job will be to create some staging very similar to the last one made on the front left, but have it at the back end of the Greenhouse , as well fabricate a lighter framed top shelf to go the length of the West side of the greenhouse. This is where some of my Stock plants will go.

Getting there slowly.

Regds

Eutow_Int*
Last edited by Eutow_Intermedium on Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Thanks for clearing up what an Allotment was. I thought it was what you explained. If you live in an apartment, what a great way to enjoy gardening. Without my open space, I would go crazy. :lol: