Wayupthere's Greenhouse

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
wayupthere

Wayupthere's Greenhouse

Post by wayupthere »

It's been awhile since I have last posted but last summer I decided to bite the bullet and finally build a greenhouse. I decided on a 9x12 using cedar. I was actually surprised on how easy it was to build. The hardest part so far was lugging all the concrete bags from the driveway up into the yard. Over the winter I just used some Home Depot plastic to keep the rain out. Only have to purchase the panels and attach them. Very stoked on how it turned out.
Attachments
The trench for the concrete footing
The trench for the concrete footing
image.jpg (120.52 KiB) Viewed 9619 times
Boards all in place
Boards all in place
image.jpg (87.7 KiB) Viewed 9619 times
Rebar all set up
Rebar all set up
image.jpg (96.57 KiB) Viewed 9619 times
Ready to pour
Ready to pour
image.jpg (87.7 KiB) Viewed 9619 times
Starting the pour
Starting the pour
image.jpg (105.7 KiB) Viewed 9619 times
Finished pour
Finished pour
image.jpg (49.1 KiB) Viewed 9619 times
Placed some plastic over the concrete to help with the cure<br />Placed some plastic over the concrete to help with the cure
Placed some plastic over the concrete to help with the cure
Placed some plastic over the concrete to help with the cure
image.jpg (67.02 KiB) Viewed 9619 times
Stained all the cedar before building the walls. North wall
Stained all the cedar before building the walls. North wall
image.jpg (110.46 KiB) Viewed 9619 times
South wall
South wall
image.jpg (108.88 KiB) Viewed 9619 times
West wall
West wall
image.jpg (107.35 KiB) Viewed 9619 times
North wall and door frame
North wall and door frame
image.jpg (101.08 KiB) Viewed 9619 times
Decided on a pony wall on the north side
Decided on a pony wall on the north side
image.jpg (87.52 KiB) Viewed 9619 times
Roof all framed up
Roof all framed up
image.jpg (102.42 KiB) Viewed 9619 times
Decided on a Dutch door
Decided on a Dutch door
image.jpg (81.08 KiB) Viewed 9619 times
Looking inside
Looking inside
image.jpg (79.01 KiB) Viewed 9619 times
A few of my Agave's
A few of my Agave's
image.jpg (57.24 KiB) Viewed 9619 times
A few cacti
A few cacti
image.jpg (63.76 KiB) Viewed 9619 times
wayupthere

Re: Wayupthere's Greenhouse

Post by wayupthere »

Some of the shelving and plants.
Attachments
South wall shelving
South wall shelving
image.jpg (48.15 KiB) Viewed 9617 times
North side shelving and some Agave
North side shelving and some Agave
image.jpg (46.22 KiB) Viewed 9617 times
majcka

Post by majcka »

I think I can say without hesitation that this is a professional job.

I only was thinking how come it is a plastic over it instead of policarbonate plates? Or is that another phase?
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

wayupthere

Post by wayupthere »

majcka wrote:I think I can say without hesitation that this is a professional job.

I only was thinking how come it is a plastic over it instead of policarbonate plates? Or is that another phase?
The plastic is only temporary as funds were running a bit low. Looking at purchasing polycarbonate panels now. Will be buying them from Charley's Greenhouse in Mt.Vernon, WA. Thank you for the complement.
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Did you use Western Cedar? Very nice job. :D
wayupthere

Post by wayupthere »

cactushobbyman wrote:Did you use Western Cedar? Very nice job. :D
Yes. Western Red Cedar
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Beautiful! And it looks nice and solid. A really nice addition to the garden. =D> =D> =D>

Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sundanz

Post by sundanz »

Very very nice!!! Like Maja said, a professional job!!
Life's a Cactus in the Great State of Texas!!!
kykeion

Post by kykeion »

Looks great! I like your fence as well. Your frame looks sturdy enough to support salvaged windows as a possible cheaper alternative to polycarb.
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Looks excellent! :) Way more level than mine. :P
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Well planned, meticulous work and an attractive, sturdy result! =D> Excellent job on all counts. Good luck on however you plan to complete the windows. Remember to post photos of the complete GH. Will you need heat during the winter out there? And fans to keep air moving during the summer? I don't imagine it gets too terribly hot out there--at least not for long stretches. Oh, yes, and nice cactus collection as well!
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
Samee

Post by Samee »

Very well done. Without doing any research on your zone, will this be heated? Ive been trying to find professionally made green houses that were made in cold zones.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Interesting the differences in US greenhouse construction for a retired carpenter in the UK. I built three increasing larger wooden greenhouses in the past before I decided aluminium was more suited to our climate in the UK and less maintenance.

Why not an overall concrete floor rather than gravel, was it too much effort? Probably your climate is different but I find that an overall concrete floor, provided you put a polythene damp roof membrane under it when laying, cuts down on humidity and acts like a concrete block heater in winter. Being warmed by the sun during the day and helping to keep the greenhouse warm by radiation on cold winter nights. I suppose you in warmer climates have different requirements though?

Obviously red cedar is also cheaper where you are since I notice most US greenhouses are wood as ours used to be in days gone by. Wood lost out in the UK due to our wet climate soon rotting it and the constant need to paint or treat it since red cedar was on the expensive side here. In the UK maintenance free aluminium greenhouses seem to be the most common these days and most still use horticultural glass rather than polycarbonate.

Nice job anyway. If your climate is hot though I think you would find providing at least one roof vent would help in summer rather than just relying on those in the sides. Easy to do before you finally cover it with polycarbonate.

http://greenhouseblog.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My 18ft x 12ft aluminium greenhouse has 4 roof vents and 4 louver side vents on automatic openers to keep it cooler in summer. However being near the road I need them as I cannot leave my greenhouse doors open and unlocked as most do in the UK for extra ventilation in summer.

The greenhouse should make a big difference to the growth of your plants.
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

I believe wood greenhouses can be constructed with more strength. The metal greenhouses I have seen are just not made strong unless they are commercial. My wooden greenhouse I can stand on the ridge beam, but I would never try that on my metal one. :?
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

That's true for cheap timber countries like the US Hobbyman, or when you build them yourself, but in the UK the normal timber ones for sale are no stronger than aluminium ones and don't usually last as long. The section of the rafters in Wayup's greenhouse would be about the same as used in house roofs over here supporting a few tons of concrete tiles! A commercial cedar greenhouse firm in the UK would have made a couple of greenhouses that size out of the cedar used.

http://www.timbersolutionsltd.co.uk/dev ... house.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://herbidacious.wordpress.com/cate ... reenhouse/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course in sunny USA it does not matter so much, but the thinking in the UK is that thinner bars stop less light from reaching the plants which is where aluminium scores, but of course we don't usually need to resort to thick shade cloth in our so called summers.

Compare our prices for Cedar to those you pay in the US, whereas aluminium prices would probably be similar:-

http://www.woodpeckertimberimports.co.u ... -list.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;