Need Overwintering Help

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Sundewd

Need Overwintering Help

Post by Sundewd »

The last few years I have been okay simply moving more sensitive indoors or up to the covered back patio, hut this year I think this will be more difficult as I have acquired a lot of new succulent and cactus that aren't exactly winter hardy. Now I don't live in an area that gets really cold; here on the Gulf Coast of Tx the coldest it will get is 20-30*F. My biggest concern is the amount of rainfall that comes with those temperatures. Couples together it creates a deadly cascade of moisture, humidity and cold which most roots don't appreciate too much. Last winter I lost a ten year old pencil cactus that was nearly 6 foot tall, which was rather the final straw for me. This winter I have about 150-200 things that I would like to keep this winter, Including some very winter inhardy stuff like Edithcolea Grandis and Euphorbia Gorgonis.

So my question Is, whats the best overwintering method for me? I could probably move most stuff Indoors, into the garage, the bedrooms, etc... But I dont know what any bad effects on the plants would be if I did this. I've heard people doing this without problem though. However I would like to construct a GH or two anyway as a means to protect , store and grow my Inventory. I would like to make this my job at some point In the future... It's the one thing in life I like doing but I need ways to expand that dont involve clustering up the house. I already have tanks of carnivorous plants so I don't need any more of that. :P

I have some GH ideas... But thought I should get more Input first.

Thanks to all who reply. :)
cactushobbyman

Re: Need Overwintering Help

Post by cactushobbyman »

If you have a good southern exposure along the house or a fence, you can make a lean-to until you have your greenhouse plans figured out. 4-5 mil plastic should hold up. :)
Sundewd

Post by Sundewd »

I was actually gonna ask about that, as I do have a storage room behind the house that I can use for that purpose. Would also act as a north wind block. Guess I could do that it would be sufficient ... I'm not real sure how to secure something like that.
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

It depends on the storage building. Wood vs metal etc. Take a 2 X 4, or 1 inch PVC pipe and take a couple wraps and then screw to secure. If you don't want to screw into the building you may try tape, duct tape or even metal foil tape. :)
Sundewd

Post by Sundewd »

Well, just don't have time or the ability to build anything right now. Guess I will do my beat covering things as needed best I can. So far so good through this winter storm moving across the country.

I have heard that cactus and succulents don't need a lot of light during dormancy. I've been trying to determine if moving them into a storage room with blocked windows would be okay for them through the winter. We just have so much rain and I have some rare stuff that I would be very sad to lose. I've already noved some stuff into the house.
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

You may want to PM Daiv or look for his post on winter storage. :)