Hardy's new greenhouse

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Hardy_whv

Hardy's new greenhouse

Post by Hardy_whv »

Hi everyone,

I'd like to introduce you to my new greenhouse, built up in April/May this year. Until then I was a balcony and window sill gardener, which significantly limited my possibilities.

Fortunately my new garden - facing South - offers much space:

The planning process took some months (great activity for the dark winter time). My choice is a 7.0 x 3.1 metres greenhouse of HOKLARTHERM, a company in the North of Germany, only 50km from where I live. I wanted as much ultraviolet light inside as possible. The only material supporting this is ALLTOP. However ALLTOP is less durable against hail than normal polycarbonate. So I chose triple-wall polycarbonate (hope that this is the richt expression) for the roof.

I wanted to start early in the year, but last winter was much stronger than usual in Northern Germay, so the project could not be started before mid of April. The first day - digging the hole for the foundation - was fun:

Getting used to this mini-digger went fast. Getting rid of all the soil (30 tons) - all done manually - was less fun and also took much longer:

On the next photo I am ready to start to build the foundation:

On the 21st day the foundation is ready:

The foundation is insulated both outside and inside by 5cm Styrodur (you can see the light green layer outside). I stoned the inner side of the greenhouse myself and had a brick-built base been set up by a professional brick-layer:

I had four friends helping me to set up the greenhouse, which took 1 1/2 days:

That was the result at the end of day 43 (counting from the first digging):

The greenhouse has 6 top windows and 2 side windows, all operated by automatic openers. Thats how it looked inside in May:

Meanwhile it's much more crowded inside. Also most of the electricity is installed. This is the inside of the distribution box:

I will do much of the heating (about 5000 Watts required) electrically. I do this by three finned tubed heaters. In case there is one fault, I don't want to fail all of the heaters. So I have installed three seperate lines, each fused seperately (including one residual current operated circuit breaker for each line).

And that's the ventilation:

Due to our weather conditions in Northern Germany I will have a high humidity inside the greenhouse (90% and more). I hope to reduce the risk of funguses by a continous air stream.

There is still a lot of work to be done (i.e. I want to pave part of the outside on the greenhouse to place some plants there in summer time, also I want to install a underground water tank to collect rainwater.) Hope to be able to report about the further progress next year.

Hardy ;-)
majcka

Re: Hardy's new greenhouse

Post by majcka »

Waw! It's a reall piece of work.

I wonder how much that costs??? If it's no secret. I will have to do something with my GH soon (it is now of plastic sceleton with pastic folia over it) :?
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Hardy_whv

Post by Hardy_whv »

majcka wrote:I wonder how much that costs??? If it's no secret.
No secret - have sent you a personal message.

Good luck with your project!

Hardy Image
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Now that's one heck of an upgrade from windowsill!
Would love to have something like that in the backyard...though it likely would not fit in the space I have! lol
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Magnificent!!! I agree with Snowfella That's some upgrade. Hope you kept some money back for all the extra plants you will be able to house in there :D I'm green with envy :mrgreen:

Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Wow! That's a great build. :) I wish I had so much space in my Greenhouse. :wink:
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

Wow, that is quite a build!

Glad I didn't need all that foundation work to do my GH. If so, I would still be in my old shade structure waiting for the winds to blow away the winter plastic covering!

Looks like you will be all set for winter, frost, snow loads, winds and whatever I forgot because we don't have them here :)

Enjoy and give us some updates when you are all moved in and comfortable.

Cheers ... GeneS
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

That is a very nice job. I guess your ground has a freeze depth? Nice electrical set up too. :)
Hardy_whv

Post by Hardy_whv »

Thanks for you positive feedback!

I have not much money left over, however the greenhouse is filling faster than it should 8)

I live close to the North Sea - just 1km away from the dike - with a lot of strong winds/storms, especially in Autumn and Spring. So it had to be quite solid. The foundation is made to reach lower than freezing depth of the ground, so it goes down 0.8 metres.

Hardy Image
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Hardy- Do you have a link for the Hoklartherm site please as I only seem to come up with the American sites. I too am looking at purchasing one next year, and am constantly checking out all options available. Thank you.

Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hardy_whv

Post by Hardy_whv »

Hi Susi,

that's the link: http://www.hoklartherm.de/gewaechshaeus ... auser.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However the newest models are not shown there yet. I think it's best to ask them for a printed catalogue.

Hardy 8)
majcka

Post by majcka »

Hardy_whv wrote:Hi Susi,

that's the link: http://www.hoklartherm.de/gewaechshaeus ... auser.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However the newest models are not shown there yet. I think it's best to ask them for a printed catalogue.

Hardy 8)
They sure have their preices. ](*,)
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Hardy_whv

Post by Hardy_whv »

majcka wrote:They sure have their preices. ](*,)
Every product of some quality has it's price. I am presently very happy with the quality of my greenhouse. We recently had quite a severe storm, with many things flying throught the air. My greenhouse stands as a castle ;-)

@ Susi: I have chosen for HOKLARTHERM because I was confident, that this model suits my requirements AND the company is only 50km away from my home. So in case of any questions, troubles, etc. I can easily get there. Greenhouses don't sell that often as cars or TV. Also often special requirements have to be met. Therefore it is handsome, to go for a company which is not too far away. Is there any greenhouse manufacturer close to you? I know of PRINCESS, which builds high quality greenhouses and is situated in Austria: http://www.glashausbau.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hardy Image
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Just been on that site Hardy, looks good and promising, although the prices aren't listed. Went through the process of putting in my requirements etc. but backed out when they asked for personal details (home address etc.) Don't mind giving it when I am actually ready to purchase, but don't want to start getting bugged with publicity just yet. I like the way you can more or less design it to your requiremnts. They even have the option of one with wall base,which I would love if poss. but will have to check it out when the time comes. Have added onto my fav. list though for future ref. as by this time next year (pref. before if poss.) I am hoping to have one installed and up and running. Thank you for th information. I love your greenhouse by the way.

Susi
Nature Lover
Eutow_Intermedium

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

Gotta love that German engineering !

=^_^=

Fantastic work. This kind of greenhouse would leave most envious.