Cleaned up and winterized (let's hope!)

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
fanaticactus

Cleaned up and winterized (let's hope!)

Post by fanaticactus »

It took a while to go through my collection and weed out all the cacti that did not survive this last season for one reason or another. I bought Aluminet shade cloth, fasteners, screw eyes and cable to support the Aluminet, plus a 12" exhaust fan but never got a chance to install them, as my builder was busy with tearing down and rebuilding our mudroom--more important for the coming season. So all of those items are now stored in a separate shed. To prepare for winter I bought a tall powerful quartz heater and a separate thermostat placed on the bench diagonally across from the heater itself, which I've set to go on at 45 degrees (7C). So far the nighttime temperature has not broken the freezing mark, but we've been down to 33F (<1C), and the heater has kept the GH at 43-45F (5.5-7C), which makes me happy. Together, the heater and thermostat cost about $100--not bad. All my Epis, Zygos and the Disocactus and Lepismium (as well as new purchases and newly repotted cacti) are indoors so I can keep an eye on them and give them individual care.
IMG_1768.JPG
IMG_1768.JPG (116.92 KiB) Viewed 2406 times
IMG_1769.JPG
IMG_1769.JPG (124.83 KiB) Viewed 2406 times
IMG_1770.JPG
IMG_1770.JPG (105.16 KiB) Viewed 2406 times
IMG_1771.JPG
IMG_1771.JPG (34.53 KiB) Viewed 2406 times
IMG_1772.JPG
IMG_1772.JPG (91.93 KiB) Viewed 2406 times
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
Tiggy

Re: Cleaned up and winterized (let's hope!)

Post by Tiggy »

Sounds like you're all set up the winter alright. I too have invested in another form of heating this year. I am trying a tubular low wattage heater 1m in length together with a thermostat. I also have it set at 7c. I found this a good temp. last year just made a mess of the plants as I was using a paraffin heater. I'm hoping it will be powerful enough as my gh is very small. I love your gh. wish I could have a wooden one as well I think they are much better. Good luck for the forthcoming winter.

Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

It looks so empty - I'm jealous. My GH is now packed with the stuff that spent the summer outside. Only took the Melos & a Disco inside. No room in the house for the Epis but they spent last winter around 50 & looked fine, so they're staying. We're still having warm, sunny days so I have to open the door by around 10AM. I know it won't last but this is my favorite time. Keep us posted, Sue
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Tiggy wrote:Sounds like you're all set up the winter alright. I too have invested in another form of heating this year. I am trying a tubular low wattage heater 1m in length together with a thermostat. I also have it set at 7c. I found this a good temp. last year just made a mess of the plants as I was using a paraffin heater. I'm hoping it will be powerful enough as my gh is very small. I love your gh. wish I could have a wooden one as well I think they are much better. Good luck for the forthcoming winter.

Susi
Good luck with your new heat source, Susi. I sure do hope the GH works for me. The person who designed and built it is from a bit further south in Vermont. He builds all over Vermont and neighboring New York State, so he knows what will stand up to a northern New England winter. I changed his original plan of spruce wood for the frame to white cedar, as it has an even longer life. The walls are double layered (with air between) polycarbonate for extra protection against the cold and wind; the insulated cement floor has a drain in case the inside gets wet during the summer when the vents are open or if I decide to go wild watering! I also loved the idea of wood, as it doesn't conduct the cold like a metal frame.
oldcat61 wrote:It looks so empty - I'm jealous. My GH is now packed with the stuff that spent the summer outside. Only took the Melos & a Disco inside. No room in the house for the Epis but they spent last winter around 50 & looked fine, so they're staying. We're still having warm, sunny days so I have to open the door by around 10AM. I know it won't last but this is my favorite time. Keep us posted, Sue
Don't be too jealous, Sue. It is fairly empty because I lost many, many cacti this summer--a combination of not surviving lousy conditions last winter, rot, and mealybug. I'm sure hoping that with the exhaust fan (thanks SO much for your recommendation!) and this heater and my careful attention to keeping an eye out to eradicate the mealies, next season will be much better. This is the first summer I did not mail order a single cactus because I was so discouraged.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!