Roof question for heavy snow climate

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Gymnotions

Roof question for heavy snow climate

Post by Gymnotions »

I want to turn my deck into a lean-to greenhouse. I paid a visit to the local building inspector who said local code calls for ground snow load of 80 lbs. Because the top of the greenhouse roof will need to tuck under the eave, I can only get about 20 degrees of slope, which according to a couple calculators I found online means my roof must support approx 50 lbs / square foot.

Does anybody know if twin wall, or triple wall polycarbonate can handle that?
oldcat61

Re: Roof question for heavy snow climate

Post by oldcat61 »

You might go to the Rion greenhouse kit website, they list their snow load figures. We have the same situation - a lean-to tucked under a little soffit/eyebrow roof. Sue
Gymnotions

Post by Gymnotions »

oldcat61 wrote:You might go to the Rion greenhouse kit website, they list their snow load figures. We have the same situation - a lean-to tucked under a little soffit/eyebrow roof. Sue
I looked at Rion, and a lot of other greenhouse kits. Rion says they have been tested with 1100 lbs of snow, which sounds like a lot, but even with their smallest model that is 15 lbs / square foot. That is likely within code for New Jersey, but if I truly have to support 50 lbs / square foot to meet code I might not be able to do this greenhouse project. Seems to me I saw some pictures on here of a fellow member in Vermont with a greenhouse - I suspect Vermont would have same snow load as here.
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

You're probably thinking of fanaticactus. Here's a link http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 30&t=29702" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;