will this greenhouse work?

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
nbcrty

will this greenhouse work?

Post by nbcrty »

i was looking at the Menard's website and found a cheeplittle greenhouse for only $60, that seems fairly good for the price, sears has the same exact one at a regular price of $239
http://www.menards.com/main/building-ma ... -10122.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cactushobbyman

Re: will this greenhouse work?

Post by cactushobbyman »

It would help to have more info on your intended use, i.e., will it be exposed to wind or other tough conditions. :)
BobbyZ

Post by BobbyZ »

The ability of the plastic to withstand your summer snow is questionable. Also it may deteriorate from UV light within one or two seasons. It is economical but may serve the purpose if you would like it for an early spring start.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

BobbyZ wrote:The ability of the plastic to withstand your summer snow is questionable. Also it may deteriorate from UV light within one or two seasons. It is economical but may serve the purpose if you would like it for an early spring start.
It should be able to handle the amount of snow they get in the summer. It is the winter snow that concerns me! :lol:
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Seems to have a fairly steep pitched roof to shed the snow. The heavier snowfall you get in your area generally the steeper pitch on the greenhouse roof the better to shed it quickly before it builds up. Water and snow is why we don't have that many flat or low pitched house roofs in the UK, about 30-45 degree pitches being common, compared to warmer dryer countries where flat or low pitched roofs are more common.

Your problem could be the wind though unless you fasten it down well, preferably bolted to a concrete base in some way. I would presume for a greenhouse the plastic is UV stabilised otherwise it would degenerate in a couple of seasons, as does non UV stabilised bubble wrap greenhouse insulation. Even so the plastic will not last as long as glass.

I don't know about the US but there are often unused greenhouses in many gardens here you can obtain cheaply if you put a wants advert in your local paper and are prepared to dismantle and take them away. Usually glazing clips etc are available as spares and the local glass merchant can replace any broken horticultural glass.

You even get them on EBAY from time to time, in fact occasionally you may find one free to take away if it is now in the occupiers way.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/greenhouse-al ... 2331b95f1f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Most aluminium greenhouses will unbolt to just a few lengths of aluminium if required and can be transported on a car roof rack with the glass in the car boot/trunk. The longest pieces being the ridge, eaves and sill. So for a 10ft long greenhouse they would be 10ft's which most car roof racks can carry.

Aluminium greenhouse bolts tend to shear with age when you try and undo them (though usually replaceable) so it's best to soak them a few days before dismantling with something like WD 40 or a similar easing oil.
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

I have a very similar gh, I live in Wales and I am already getting problems. I have insulated with bubble wrap and it still gets very cold so I have also hsd to bring a few plants indoors. I bought my in may I think and the uv light has alresdy turned thevpkastic brittle. While you might get goodcresults with it from spring to mid autum thet not much good from here on in and with all likelihood I will just be using it as a seethrough shed for pots and agrigates with in a week or so. We are supposed to be getting a particularly cold and snowy one this year so I would consider something more substantial. I have been looking at these as a replacement
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0014J8 ... X110_SY165" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I have one of those wooden ones, they are very stable in the winds but also very light. I have not had it long enough to see what it is like in summer but they can still get quite cold in winter.
-Daniel

Aquatic technician at Maidenhead Aquatics, Windsor.
I like the South Americans. Cacti that is...
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

I bought a similar greenhouse years ago http://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14540" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It woeked fine for a year or two, but the downsides were tthat I filled it up too soon, the sun turned it brittle (and useless) in a couple of years, and if you search long enough you will see in a post by lancer99 (who had the exact same model) about how it collapsed under a snow fall. Also, it ws wxpensive to heat, even with insulation and in Florida.

The positives were that it was a great way to get started, it took work, but it did what I wanted it to, and it was an excellent way to test myself to see how truly serious I was about the hobby. You may want to get shade cloth for it, sun burn is easy!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)