Is this worth it?

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
CactusBoss

Is this worth it?

Post by CactusBoss »

My only concern is heavy winds! http://www.lowes.com/pd_404388-15564-44 ... facetInfo=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How can I protect it against heavy winds?
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
majcka

Re: Is this worth it?

Post by majcka »

CactusBoss wrote:My only concern is heavy winds! http://www.lowes.com/pd_404388-15564-44 ... facetInfo=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How can I protect it against heavy winds?
I'm not sure you can. Unless if you could try with rope of some kind. Or if you can place it where winds are not so heavy. And truth is I don't know what heay winds mean to you. :?
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

CactusBoss

Post by CactusBoss »

I just don't want a big mess of cacti on the ground if the thing were to blow over.
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
M.B

Post by M.B »

I have the exact same style greenhouse and had the misfortune of it tossing shelves due to wind on the 3rd night I had it. It can work for you with two cheap simple modifications. First, epoxy the poles into the frame. You will never be able to take it apart again but if you are like me it was cheap enough to use it or toss it anyway. The second is to buy some zip-ties and secure the shelves. I had some 11in zip-ties sitting around so I used 3 or 4 of them linked together to secure the shelves on the left and right sides of each shelf (about 8 zip-ties per shelf). Never had a problem since then. I store a big bag of sand on the bottom shelf because I have periodic wind to contend with. When its windy but not raining I remove the cover. Hope this helps.
CactusBoss

Post by CactusBoss »

M.B wrote:I have the exact same style greenhouse and had the misfortune of it tossing shelves due to wind on the 3rd night I had it. It can work for you with two cheap simple modifications. First, epoxy the poles into the frame. You will never be able to take it apart again but if you are like me it was cheap enough to use it or toss it anyway. The second is to buy some zip-ties and secure the shelves. I had some 11in zip-ties sitting around so I used 3 or 4 of them linked together to secure the shelves on the left and right sides of each shelf (about 8 zip-ties per shelf). Never had a problem since then. I store a big bag of sand on the bottom shelf because I have periodic wind to contend with. When its windy but not raining I remove the cover. Hope this helps.
Makes me reconsider a bit cause i live in zone 5 and would have to move it in for the winter. I also don't want to spend $500 + on a greenhouse.
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
M.B

Post by M.B »

Definitely not trying to convince you but it is VERY lightweight when it comes to moving it. Another thing I should mention, because the frame connectors are plastic I only use it for small potted cactus. I noticed when I had heavier pots on a shelf the plastic would warp from the weight. I give it 3 out of 5 stars since it had to be modified. After modification I give it an extra star. I have it against the side of my house to help with my periodic wind issue. For severe wind you DO NOT want this product unless you further modified it by anchoring it from the upper corners. For my use/area I'm happy with the $40 I spent at Lowes.
CactusBoss

Post by CactusBoss »

M.B wrote:Definitely not trying to convince you but it is VERY lightweight when it comes to moving it. Another thing I should mention, because the frame connectors are plastic I only use it for small potted cactus. I noticed when I had heavier pots on a shelf the plastic would warp from the weight. I give it 3 out of 5 stars since it had to be modified. After modification I give it an extra star. I have it against the side of my house to help with my periodic wind issue. For severe wind you DO NOT want this product unless you further modified it by anchoring it from the upper corners. For my use/area I'm happy with the $40 I spent at Lowes.
Well severe winds are very rare here thank god. Are there any better greenhouses you'd recommend that aren't over $100?
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
M.B

Post by M.B »

I only have the $40 from Lowe's. They had another that was a bit bigger but I'd assume it would need some modifying also.
CactusBoss

Post by CactusBoss »

I feel like a table with a clear plastic cover might be a better option.
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I bought one similar t that and it came with string to peg it out with, like a tent. Seems to be fine for me. But my garden is not very exposed. :) :-k
-Daniel

Aquatic technician at Maidenhead Aquatics, Windsor.
I like the South Americans. Cacti that is...
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Yes, it is very light--good for portability, poor for stability and certainly not for use in cold temperatures. I found I had to put large rocks on the bottom shelf for added stability, but that plastic cover will tatter in the wind over several years. Meanwhile, it is very useful and was certainly the right price!
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

I have got one of these too. It did blow over in the wind once but when I tied it to the fence and made guy ropes and pegged it down no probs at all they are suprisingly warm.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
fenestrane

Post by fenestrane »

Wind would be my least concern. What's the point of this contraption? The space is enclosed, which means it will have 100% humidity inside. Exactly opposite of what succulents need. The point of a GH is to let light in. In small enclosed space it means temperatures will be close to 100C. Bad for any plant. All in all, this is a joke.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

fenestrane wrote:Wind would be my least concern. What's the point of this contraption? The space is enclosed, which means it will have 100% humidity inside. Exactly opposite of what succulents need. The point of a GH is to let light in. In small enclosed space it means temperatures will be close to 100C. Bad for any plant. All in all, this is a joke.
That is more or less a cold-frame. So if used in that manner it is fine, but if it is being used as an actual greenhouse then I agree with your criticisms. I'm not so concerned about the humidity issue. It is really the "greenhouse effect" of turning into an oven in the sun and providing at most a 5 degree bump in temperature at night when it is cold that is the problem I see.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
Dixie Chicken

Post by Dixie Chicken »

I too, purchased the little portable greenhouse and had to modify it.... the shelves warped under any kind of weight and needed to be reinforced and the light duty plastic wheels are totally worthless. Keep them clean or take them off. It now is garage storage!

I eventually decided on the pop-up greenhouse from Sam's, since my problem here in Florida was not so much the temperatures, but the rain throughout the late Fall, Winter and early Spring. I needed a way to keep the collection dry, so the occasional really cold night wouldn't rot them right out of their pots. The answer was the pop-up. Easy to set up, folds away when the cactus go back out to the pool, and I can set up a pair of flood lights to add the few degrees of warmth we need on the occasional frosty night. It has zip up doors on either end, with the zippers opening top and bottom, so ventilation is pretty good, although I've thought about placing a small fan inside to help move out the moisture. I wish there was a way to vent the top, but that might compromise the watertight ceiling. I've always had it set up in a pretty protected space, so I don't know how it would handle any kind of significant wind, but it comes with tent stakes and four corner ties to help secure. Assembly is a one person job, although putting it back in its case can be a bit tricky! I'll be using industrial recycled plastic shelving units this year, because while the 6 foot by 8 foot size is generous, I really needed the vertical space to accommodate all the pots, and the 200 pound limit per shelf hopefully will be sturdy enough. The price is certainly affordable and this will be my third season using it. But as with all things, you do get what you pay for! Hope this helps. Carol

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/greenland- ... navAction=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Greenland Gardener Backyard Pop Up Greenhouse
by Greenland Gardener | Item #: 155310 |Model #: 105144 |
May you never be spineless!

Carol