Fanaticactus' Greenhouse 2013

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
fanaticactus

Re: Fanaticactus' Greenhouse 2013

Post by fanaticactus »

Despite the record-setting extended period of brutal heat and humidity for the Champlain Valley (current temp=93.5F, humidlty=52%, heat index=100F, dew point=73F)--and it's only 1:00 PM--they've worked on the new GH for three days. I have to admit I greatly admire all our members who are able to build their own GH's; I just don't have the knowledge or ability to construct one of the quality I wanted. Here's the preparation: removal of most of the existing concrete slab and the import of crushed stone, about 4 inches thick.
IMG_1537.JPG
IMG_1537.JPG (167.32 KiB) Viewed 3132 times
IMG_1539.JPG
IMG_1539.JPG (163.42 KiB) Viewed 3132 times
IMG_1543.JPG
IMG_1543.JPG (178.55 KiB) Viewed 3132 times
DAY ONE of the actual construction=framework for pouring cement floor, laying of insulation (to prevent heat loss through the ground in winter)
IMG_1555.JPG
IMG_1555.JPG (140.73 KiB) Viewed 3132 times
IMG_1556.JPG
IMG_1556.JPG (148.82 KiB) Viewed 3132 times
There are no photos of the second day's pouring of the cement floor; it was immediately covered with a tarp to guard against the advancing thunderstorms with torrential downpours. The cement was fine the next day--DAY THREE--for the actual framework to be erected, stained/waterproofed white cedar for a guaranteed long life.
IMG_1564.JPG
IMG_1564.JPG (49.67 KiB) Viewed 3132 times
IMG_1565.JPG
IMG_1565.JPG (147.5 KiB) Viewed 3132 times
IMG_1566.JPG
IMG_1566.JPG (135.38 KiB) Viewed 3132 times
Next week the installation of the glazed double-layered polycarb roof and sides. A double door on one end and large vent on the opposite end, roof vents and benches will complete it.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
iann

Post by iann »

I put up my own greenhouse, but it is a pre-built aluminium frame that bolts together, just a giant Meccano set really. Not as pretty as wood, but more practical in my climate. A good foundation like yours takes a lot of work too.
--ian
majcka

Post by majcka »

You hope they built good foundation. Otherwise Image

I could fly by and take it with me. Image

I think it's gonna be nice.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Looks fantastic! :) Regarding to your cement floor, did you only allow it to cure for one day? I've heard from a few people that you should allow cement to cure for at least a week, so it's nice, strong and doesn't go dusty. :P
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

CactusFanDan wrote:Looks fantastic! :) Regarding to your cement floor, did you only allow it to cure for one day? I've heard from a few people that you should allow cement to cure for at least a week, so it's nice, strong and doesn't go dusty. :P
It was just overnight. They finished pouring & leveling it midafternoon and were back midmorning the next day to start the wood construction. Meanwhile, we had two cloudbursts in the evening from thunderstorms that passed, but the floor was covered by a tarp. I asked the builder the next morning if the cement seemed OK, since the puddle on the tarp had caused it to sag onto the floor surface, plus it was abominably hot and humid (has been for over a week) that I was afraid it hadn't cured properly. He said it was good. I have to trust his experience in such matters; it's a one-family operation with several years of experience and GH's all over Vermont and northern NY State. As for the possible dust, again I trust he knows what he's doing. The whole deal will be expensive enough and I'm sure customer satisfaction is a primary concern. I don't think he'll want phone calls later on about a dusty or crumbling GH floor. For all I know, the cement he had trucked in may have contained something to hasten the setting and curing of the cement. I know it's not a huge GH, but I had a bit of trouble with the zoning commissioner, who at first denied permission to build it. Someone talked some sense into him and pointed out that it would be fine to build if it met the setback laws (75 feet from the road). So the space was very limited. Hey, if it's too big, I'd just have to spend more money on cacti to fill it! :lol: I want to try my hand with the ones I have left before I expand my collection too much.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

majcka wrote:You hope they built good foundation. Otherwise Image

I could fly by and take it with me. Image

I think it's gonna be nice.
Thank you, Maja. Don't worry. It's extremely solid and anchored to the floor. At least it won't leak at the seams like the old aluminum frame one did, letting in snowdrifts in the winter! :shock: And we haven't had very bad summer storms with excessive wind for several years, but they can happen. Historically, there have been no tornadoes here in the islands, but they have occurred not far away on the mainland; we have had destructive "straight-line" winds, though. I don't envision the GH sailing away like Dorothy's house in "The Wizard Of Oz" !
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

This GH should fair much better and does look like it will last a very long time no matter how much it snows. Foam insulation under the foundation is a great idea. Too late now, but did you think of radiant heat in the foundation to heat in winter? Post more as the project continues. :D
majcka

Post by majcka »

cactushobbyman wrote:This GH should fair much better and does look like it will last a very long time no matter how much it snows. Foam insulation under the foundation is a great idea. Too late now, but did you think of radiant heat in the foundation to heat in winter? Post more as the project continues. :D
He can still do that if he chooses to do ceramic. An electric heating under ceramic tiles.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

cactushobbyman wrote:This GH should fair much better and does look like it will last a very long time no matter how much it snows. Foam insulation under the foundation is a great idea. Too late now, but did you think of radiant heat in the foundation to heat in winter? Post more as the project continues. :D
I've opted to use a small space heater hooked up to a programmable thermostat. I'm more concerned about the air up at the level where the cacti will rest on the benches/shelves, cactushobbyman. The cost as is almost broke the bank. Any other add-ons I'm sure I can do as well and more cheaply. Any other professionally supplied ones would have been too much $$. Thanks for watching out for my best interests, though. :salute:
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Two days ago, the double-layer polycarb walls, screen door and insulated inner storm door went up. Really taking shape now.
IMG_1577.JPG
IMG_1577.JPG (81.22 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
IMG_1578.JPG
IMG_1578.JPG (118.13 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
IMG_1579.JPG
IMG_1579.JPG (33.72 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
IMG_1580.JPG
IMG_1580.JPG (105.19 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
IMG_1581.JPG
IMG_1581.JPG (95.49 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
IMG_1583.JPG
IMG_1583.JPG (50.43 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
IMG_1582.JPG
IMG_1582.JPG (128.13 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
Yesterday the whole job was finished: two roof vents and hinged window (all with automatic, heat sensitive openers/closers to open during the heat of the day and close during the cool evening; can be deactivated for winter weather), the benches and shelves were the last to go in. Lots of room still under the benches for carts and tables for cacti that need more shade, and the wooden beams will allow me to hang the trailing cacti. A question I have on the benches: they have a wicking mat in their base. For appearance's sake, is it OK to fill them also with a layer of gravel or sand? Does it matter which one?
IMG_1588.JPG
IMG_1588.JPG (91.93 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
IMG_1589.JPG
IMG_1589.JPG (114.48 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
IMG_1590.JPG
IMG_1590.JPG (83.75 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
IMG_1591.JPG
IMG_1591.JPG (48.33 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
IMG_1592.JPG
IMG_1592.JPG (77.91 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
IMG_1593.JPG
IMG_1593.JPG (102.66 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
IMG_1594.JPG
IMG_1594.JPG (48.03 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
IMG_1595.JPG
IMG_1595.JPG (106.17 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Beautiful - hope you left room for a comfy chair to just sit & enjoy. Do you have enough plants to fill it or will you have the luxury of more shopping? Have you considered an exhaust fan? I had to add one to my GH, the vents just weren't enough to move the air. Keep us posted as you fill it - Sue
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Well, Sue, there actually is room for a folding chair if I have the notion to pretend I'm in the desert. As for the fan, there are several possibilities: a small fan can be mounted just about anywhere and/or I can stand a couple on the benches to move the air immediately above and around the cacti. As for "filling" it...I don't have enough now, but I don't want to go overboard buying tons more. That's when I seem to run into problems--too many too soon. I'm still nursing the wounds from having lost so many this past winter due to inadequate winter quarters for them and also this spring, when the weather was so cold they got a late start and then went into two weeks of 88+ F temperatures with high humidity that just stopped them from growing and rotted several. I want to make sure what I'm left with is healthy and then buy more online from my favorites. If I see something locally I can't live without, I may just have to make some exceptions! :oops:
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Very nice. Now it's time to enjoy. :)