Cactushobbyman, here I go again

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
daiv
Site Admin

Re: Cactushobbyman, here I go again

Post by daiv »

Love seeing the step-by-step progress - especially when it gets into the custom work now....

I was thinking too - you're going to benefit from the additional airspace of the combined greenhouse vs. the two smaller units as well. You won't have to fight as extreme of temp swings with the shading/unshading of the sun.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

A few months have passed since any updates to the new greenhouse. Been busy at work with state testing, preparing for graduation and of all things having to move classrooms. :( Now school is out and back to the fun projects. =D> This latest update is the transition between the old greenhouse and the new one. :D

Inside the new greenhouse looking at the back side of the old greenhouse. This is where I plan to make the transition.
1.jpg
1.jpg (143.75 KiB) Viewed 4681 times
Inside the old greenhouse looking towards the new greenhouse and where the transition will be.
a.jpg
a.jpg (173.61 KiB) Viewed 4681 times
Transition finished.
b.jpg
b.jpg (147.68 KiB) Viewed 4681 times
Lift the shelf off, swing the doors out, and you can walk into the new greenhouse.
c.jpg
c.jpg (146.47 KiB) Viewed 4681 times
Put the shelf back on, leave the doors opens, and you do not loose any shelf space.
d.jpg
d.jpg (153.79 KiB) Viewed 4681 times
Next will be closing off the space between the old and new greenhouse. Or shelves for the new greenhouse. :-k

8)
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

That looks great! I can imagine moving that shelf to get into the back greenhouse every time might get a little tiresome, though. Perhaps you could build a series of pulleys to lift it up without having to move off all the plants on their every time. :wink:
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

CactusFanDan wrote:That looks great! I can imagine moving that shelf to get into the back greenhouse every time might get a little tiresome, though. Perhaps you could build a series of pulleys to lift it up without having to move off all the plants on their every time. :wink:

That shelf is used mostly for re-potting and working on cuttings. The before picture show all the pots etc. and to the right out of the picture is the sink and it's handy to have water close. However, I did think of making it like an entry into a bar and hinge it to lift up or even down. The framing is there if I decide. :)
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Nice work, and even nicer all that extra space. I'm "green" with envy.

Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Great job!
I suppose crawling under the shelf is out of the question... :lol:
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

CoronaCactus wrote:Great job!
I suppose crawling under the shelf is out of the question... :lol:
Yea, but don't forget to duck your head when walking through the doors. The clearance if just under 6 feet. Foam padding is next. :lol:
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

I went with shelving next in the project. I decided on this design for several reasons. I was looking into bolt-less racking system that was on sell at Costco. 6 feet long and 2 feet deep and 6 feet tall. I was thinking 2 on each side. Problem, ID of the greenhouse is less than 12 feet and less than 10 feet wide, so that left out standard racking systems. So I built the shelves with the same material as the old greenhouse, cedar fence board, 11.5" wide, .5" thick, and 8 feet long. Very low cost per board, but still lots of money. The cedar boards are rough cut, lots of knots, and after three years in the old greenhouse, still holding up so, so. Break out the saw and this was what I ended up with. Plenty of room for starting my vegetables next year. :lol:
South facing wall
South facing wall
1.jpg (151.6 KiB) Viewed 4583 times
East facing wall
East facing wall
2.jpg (159.28 KiB) Viewed 4583 times
North facing wall
North facing wall
3.jpg (148.83 KiB) Viewed 4583 times
8)
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

You do good work!

Foam padding would definitely be nice, maybe in bright florescent orange :lol:

Actually, that reminds me.... i can't remember where it was, but i couldn't forget what i saw. Above a short doorway was a large plush toy yellow duck. I had no trouble getting through as i was bent over laughing :mrgreen:
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

That looks incredible! You still have plenty of space in that central bit to add another small bench too if you really wanted to. :wink: Great job. =D>
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

The cold weather is starting. Lows in the mid 40's degrees and highs still mid 70's. I needed to finish the transition between the old and new greenhouse. Nothing too fancy, just corrugated plastic panels screwed down to a frame. Without the transition I could feel a big difference in temps between the two. Now, the temps are much more the same. I started bring in my succulents from outside and some cactus ready to be planted next spring. 24 succulents and about 40 cactus will be finding their way in soon.
2.jpg
2.jpg (132.9 KiB) Viewed 4437 times
8)