Cactushobbyman, here I go again

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Tiggy

Re: Cactushobbyman, here I go again

Post by Tiggy »

Really nice, and I see the dog is very interested in this addition. :lol:

Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ken Shaw

Post by Ken Shaw »

Beautiful!

Diagonals off by 1/16 of an inch?? I can't even measure that closely!!

Nice work! =D>

Ken
"I like the spikey ones
better than the squashy ones"
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Ken Shaw wrote:Beautiful!

Diagonals off by 1/16 of an inch?? I can't even measure that closely!!

Nice work! =D>

Ken
I can't see that well and I didn't want to say it was dead on. :lol:
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I didn't know you were going to join them. I suppose that is going to be a bit of a challenge as you'll have to do some custom fabricating I suppose to make it fit. I imagine you'll use the back wall materials to make the connection?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

daiv wrote:I didn't know you were going to join them. I suppose that is going to be a bit of a challenge as you'll have to do some custom fabricating I suppose to make it fit. I imagine you'll use the back wall materials to make the connection?
I wasn't at first, but now I'm glad I changed my plans. The doors on the HF greenhouse are not the best design. Heavy traffic would take its toll. :(
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Roof assembly now completed, but again, nuts and bolts not tighten. I have kept them this way because several parts needed to be reinstalled. Some parts due to the directions and a few by my own fault. I will say this about this greenhouse; the engineering that went into the greenhouse has amazed me. Every part is used to the most it can possible be. The studs and rafters are designed with slots to hold bolt heads to attach other parts. The studs and purlins are very weak, however when attached and semi tightened the whole greenhouse is starting to become more ridged. Looking forward to finishing up the assembly. :)
2.jpg
2.jpg (185.62 KiB) Viewed 3865 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (168.17 KiB) Viewed 3865 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (157.72 KiB) Viewed 3865 times
8)
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Last part of the assembly not counting the doors was to install the windows. These windows are designed to be opened for ventilation. This is one design of the greenhouse that is a complete failure: too weak, flimsy and a real waste of time. I assembled them not to be opened. Ventilation issues will be address later in the construction. The doors are assembled and will be added after I have completed the transition from the old greenhouse to the new one. Next, installation of the poly panels. :D
a.jpg
a.jpg (157.95 KiB) Viewed 3862 times
b.jpg
b.jpg (169.42 KiB) Viewed 3862 times

8)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Looking good so far. We had a guy here Bill from South Carolina that had one of these. He actually removed some of the side panels in summer for ventilation on his. That works for a once a year modification, but to have various ventilation throughout, obviously not the best method.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Wow! It looks great. Bet you just want to stay out there until it's finished now. Wouldn't mind one like that myself. :mrgreen:

Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

My first modification was designed to strengthen the roof load. The second part to the design will help in the shear load on the walls. The design of the HF greenhouse will allow the twisting of the frame. The walls do have bracing and the rafters have purlins, but when I applied pressure to the walls I could see the frame twisting. So I added ceiling joist and they also doubled as collar ties. I tied them into the side walls. Now, what will be the material I will use?
c.jpg
c.jpg (180.63 KiB) Viewed 3838 times
Then I added purlins to the ceiling joist and tied them into the front and back wall. This will take out the twisting of the greenhouse frame. The front wall did not have enough bracing to take the load and heavy usage of the doors. My modification should correct that problem and if I want to add any light fixtures, I can do this without causing extra stress on the frame.
4.jpg
4.jpg (119.97 KiB) Viewed 3838 times
Before the actual assembly, I thought I would be able to screw into the frame to add the modification parts. After the assembly started I knew this would not be a possibility. So I took the engineered wall studs that allowed bolts to slide in a groove to attach parts and added more bolts for my parts. This meant I had to unattached the studs and insert the bolts and reattach the studs. Good thing I kept most of the nuts and bolts loose.

f.jpg
f.jpg (112.05 KiB) Viewed 3838 times
Now what will be the material? The greenhouse is made of aluminum and to use aluminum would cost too much. So I bought EMT ½” conduit and flattened the end, drilled holes and attached them to the greenhouse. I had a flashback to my Tin-knocking days. 10 feet length cost $2.25 each and worked out great.
d.jpg
d.jpg (122.42 KiB) Viewed 3838 times
Black circles the purlins attached to the frame over the door.  No extra support until I added the support.  Red circles show the new ceiling joist attached to the purlins.  Now the greenhouse has proper support.  5 rafters added and two purlins. Door area had no header to support the door.
Black circles the purlins attached to the frame over the door. No extra support until I added the support. Red circles show the new ceiling joist attached to the purlins. Now the greenhouse has proper support. 5 rafters added and two purlins. Door area had no header to support the door.
g.jpg (128.39 KiB) Viewed 3838 times
8)
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

The polycarbonate is installed. I left several panels open to be able to bring in the pea gravel for the floor. I first put down weed screen and then 1-2 inches of pea gravel. :)
aa.jpg
aa.jpg (130.35 KiB) Viewed 3820 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (154.86 KiB) Viewed 3821 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (143.75 KiB) Viewed 3821 times

I added shade cloth and made the ventilation corrections. Two front panels were replaced with screen and the same to a back panel.
a.jpg
a.jpg (126.46 KiB) Viewed 3821 times
Both sides of the greenhouse has panels that I remove and replace with screen.
Both sides of the greenhouse has panels that I remove and replace with screen.
b.jpg (133.93 KiB) Viewed 3821 times
The back corner pieces are not like the front.  The backs were one complete panel.  So I used the middle panel.  Almost the same square inches.
The back corner pieces are not like the front. The backs were one complete panel. So I used the middle panel. Almost the same square inches.
c.jpg (119.44 KiB) Viewed 3821 times
8)
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Mighty fine job! It sure gets a lot more fun once the long and tedious part of the foundation layout is complete! Doesn't it? Well thought out and smart modifications. In my opinion, modifications are almost always mandatory. I also can't help myself to change things to suit my needs 8-[

Do you plan to add permanent benches? If so, attaching them to the frame will stiffen it up considerably. Although not easily done now, anchoring a few key bench legs in concrete would really make it strong. I'm currently building greenhouse #5 and 6 using this method and in the 5 years since GH #1, i have yet to make a structural repair :P
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

I have been looking on the internet, nurseries and just thinking of how I want my benches. The 7 feet side walls gives me lots of options. First up will be the transition from the old GH to the new one. :D
peterb

Post by peterb »

really enjoying seeing this process! I hope to have a greenhouse/shadehouse someday.

peterb
Zone 9
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Fantastic job there. It looks great!

Susi
Nature Lover