Window screen and shade factor question

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Tony

Re: Window screen and shade factor question

Post by Tony »

Tony, do you find the screen to be more durable than shadecloth? It seems like it might be. I guess I could ask, if you could get a roll or 40% shadecloth or a roll of screen that gives 40% shade for the same price, which would you prefer?
I cant really comment on which is more durable as I dont have any long term experience with real shade cloth, But I can say I have fiberglass screens that are going on 10 years and they still haven't fallen apart.
I do have a small, 10'x10' section of my original shade house built in august 2009, that I have 60% shade cloth on that I got from a friend with a nursery.
It was inexpensive and I needed something at the time I was building so I picked it up. It is ok for the youngest seedlings and epicactus, but I have to either sell them or move most seedlings out of that section in about a year if i want them to continue to grow the way I want. I would like to change it to 30% or 40% but have neither the money or the time to do it now. This shade cloth is woven so it doesnt unravel when you cut it and is still in great shape.
I would say if you are just covering a small space, go with the window screen for now and when your setting up your nursery and need to cover large shade houses go with the shade cloth.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Sharpy

Post by Sharpy »

Was just thinking about this and this may be a REALLY stupid question, but having never seen 30% shade cloth in person.... The openings in the shade cloth are larger then in the fiberglass window screen? If you put them side by side it would be obvious that there are less threads per inch, or is shade cloth designed in a different way?
Sharpy (Doug)

Just say NO to glochids!
leland

Post by leland »

the last time I saw shade cloth at Lowes in the low desert it was 70% in 6 ft X 15 ft rolls, but this is used more for patio shading than for plants. in other climates they may sell a different strength. Some big nurseries will sell agricultural grade cloth that is 40-50 percent.

I tend to use whatever I can get. 70% works well overhead for plants in a sunny area if you position it to cover from about 10 am to 3 pm and leave the plants with morning and afternoon sun, although in my current location I have also hung UV resistant plastic on the west side for privacy and a little shade.
BarryRice

Post by BarryRice »

So do any of you have an online source for 30-40% shade cloth? I've got an area about 8' x 6'. My wife's garden, on the other hand, has about 4 times the footprint. I'd be willing to buy a roll from a retail source, as long as the shipping isn't TOO insanse.

B
I'll grow it as long as it doesn't have glochids. Gaudy flowers a plus.
vlani

Post by vlani »

Regular grayish-colored synthetic shade works fine. I think it is about 40%. The shading does depend on the color, kinda obvious. Dark colored of the same fabric makes denser shade.

The other option is trellis. You can easily calc the shading it provides. I use plastic 4x8 boards from Lowe's or HD, the one with larger squares. It is about 50%. The smaller-squares is denser. Color does not really matter as it is not really translucent even when it white. Trellis looks more neat than shade cloth.
Blair

Post by Blair »

I use 40 and 50% knited shade cloth I bought at Arizona Bag Company. You can see what it looks like in the Portable greenhouse subject where I use it. 40% in back North facing 50% in front South facing not by design but because I buy remnants. either work fine for me in Southern CA.

window screen is 30%? I would have guessed 10% I have "solar screen" I bought for a screen door its much more than 50%. I have 70% stuff I bought at Home depot or Lowes up on my pation cover too much for many cactus I think.

I think Knited is the best type.