The Build Of Acorn Forest Greenhouse's UPDATED 5/11/2013

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
promethean_spark

cool

Post by promethean_spark »

I like the chair. Can't do that on mine on account of the 40' slope and stairs. I guess I can sit on the stairs... :lol:
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

Wow, does that look nice or what!! Have fun but don't fill it up too fast :wink:
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hi Tracey,
I checked the temp in your area. Looks like you got another day of heat over there.

We were pushing 100F here yesterday, over that not too far south from here. But right now it isn't even hitting 60F -crazy!

Looks like your high tomorrow is 65F so it will be perfect for your new greenhouse!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
iann

Post by iann »

Brilliant.
--ian
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) Thanks everyone..

Ok all cacti and succulents have now been moved to the garage, waterd, cleaned, pre treated for pests, anything dead removed and will be moving to the GH shortly. \:D/
OMG!! :shock: i have ALOT of baby cacti to get repotted.. Next update will be pics of all plants in the GH.. :D

Daiv, im getting real sick of this rollercoaster weather, its now cooled off big time, had storms pass thru but as usual they missed us by few miles and then finaly rain for 15 mins and off it went, need a real good day soak for our yard and outdoor plants..
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) Getting there, its been cold nasty rainy and just plain misrable, we took the rug runner out cause we were tracking way to much sand and mud in on our wet feet so we just moved that for the night while loading the GH, tomarrow it gets put back in and floor vac'd. Cassie and i have been loading plants for most the night, i screwed up my hip and am in alot of pain :( but despite that i keep going. Its been raining since last night and all day today and again tonight just a all around crappy, but heres what we got done tonight, its cold tonight and i put the heater in the GH nice and toasty now and i wont have no probs working in there now LOL!! :P Still have alot of work to do, arrange all the plants in order and move more in. Its nice having so much floor space to move around and also place more plants on the floor.

Tonights view with the lights on and still raining.

Will get better pics in few days..
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Looks cool with the lights on! (Not that it didn't before. :wink: )
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
John C

Post by John C »

Awesome job! Everything is coming along very nicely! 8)
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Thanks!!!

Ok heres small update again, all orchids except 5 adults have been repotted and are now where they should be, my baby trees are getting big fast and soon alot of them will be going outside durring the day, there is several diffrent types and all open and close there leafs, at night its funny its like there going to sleep and there leafs close tight some hang down when closed others dont and in the morn they open back up like waking up saying good mornning world.. :P The Jacarandas are the only ones i have not noticed closing its leafs at night.

The begonias are next gona work on those tomarrow and arrange them, trim any dead leafs off and get them all placed on the right side bench where some of them already are. Hubby still needs to finish the shelf below it.

Heres how the tropicals GH looks today, getting there, few more plants to hang and move in and finish the floor.. These pics was taken as i made my evenning 8pm rounds to turn off fans & fountains, close doors and vents on both GHs. Once our nights stay alittle warmer i wont close vents and will leave a fan on in each GH.
that orchid bench is getting packed and i still have several orchid com-pots to pot up yet. :D

and most of the baby trees, theres others on the right side bench.

Once im done with everything in the tropicals its time to work on all the plants in the cacti GH, repot, re-arange, pot up babies ect ect ect..
Once we start landscaping i will take pics of that to...
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Really great to see the plants in.

BTW - what is the orientation of the houses? As in which end is North?
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

daiv wrote:Really great to see the plants in.
As in which end is North?
In the tropicals GH the north end is where the fountain is the back end wall faces north, in the cacti & succulents GH the front doors face north. Hope that helps ya :wink: if your thinking about how much sun they get the sun hits them about 45 mins after it comes up on one side and continues all the way around till the sun is going down and then about 7:30 to 8:30 pm is when the sun is down behind the trees and the GHs no longer get the sun, they basicaly get the sun all day as it goes around so all sides of the GHs are getting the maximum amount of light possible. Thats why we built the GH's where they are to get the full benifits of the sunlight. Last yr i continualy watched when the sun came up to where it was high enough over the trees to get sun right where i need it and then all day till the sun went down i timed and watched how the sun hits the area where we built.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

You really did a good job planning that. So important for us to get all the sun we can get in our northern places.
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) Well got to watering everyone again, cleaned and aranged um and rotated um since few taller ones like leaning twards the sun, pitched whatever didnt look good theres 3 that got alittle tiny etoliated from being down in the plant room in the dark, i will never do that again they will stay under lights durring all the winter months. Looky all that extra space i have for more.. :P I love the fact that this is a clearview so i can see everything outside while sitting inside working at the bench, gona get little CD player so i will have tunes in there to. :D I need to get my potting supplies in there and pots, still need more under bench shelfs built and poly the floor 2 times, cant do squat now till we get some extra mola... :(
Heres few pics so far, to start we view it from the outside on both sides. It was a cloudy day and finaly it rained when it got dark out.

notice in this pic in the background my mini GH is still standing and ok, we are gona redo the plastic, redo molding/paint and put it up for sale at end of the drive way. 8)

now for the inside,

my work area, dont know why these pics came out so yellow.. :oops: STUPID CAM :evil:
little fountain

other side

and thats it for now will post more as i do more... :wink:
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

It may be an optical illusion, but your shelves look like they may be sagging in the middle from the weight of the pots. I solved that problem with my shelves by adding a lengthwise support under the shelves all the way down the middle of the shelves. It may not make any difference but it gave me peace of mind...
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Ya we noticed that the other day Harriet, we will get a suport under the benches when hubby builds the rest of the lower shelfs, thats why i moved the heavier pots to the back or the front for now, but alot of those cacti are leaning due to leaning twards the sun and i rotated um around so they are leaning the other way now.. :P
Last edited by *Barracuda_52* on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.