The Build Of Acorn Forest Greenhouse's UPDATED 5/11/2013

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

You have a nice setup, and it is looking really good. The plants will be happy in there.
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
hob

Post by hob »

Tracey after building 2 greenhouses myself i have watched your progress with interest :D

you and your husband have done a great job there =D>

well done :D
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) Thanks Harriet.

Awwwww thanks so much Hob :notworthy: we apreciate it. :wink: We try as best we can thats all we can do. Some folks who came here and picked up some carnivorous plants want hubby to build them a tropicals GH just like mine but bigger, so hubby is gona get prices on materials and everything hes gona need then a small labor fee for a 8x16 GH and then call the guy back and go from there. There thinking about working on this over the summer sometime or maybe winter like we did with ours. Its nice when folks come here and they apreciate what youve done, they didnt want to leave the tropicals GH they really liked it..
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) Next yrs plans, a 14ft x 32ft. GH :P Hubby is already looking at what he is thinking of doing basicaly build another like my tropicals but BIG with a gutter systom to catch rain water in rain barrels and add vents up top along with the exhuast fans. It will be built out on the big cement pad out front side of property where we planned on doing a big one... Plowing goes good come winter ya never know will start working on that over the winter months.. :D
iann

Post by iann »

It's great to incorporate all those things you've learned from the first greenhouse into making an even better one :)
--ian
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) The cacti GH first fall, forgot to post this pic over a week ago, leafs are now all off the trees. Sat on the ground to take this pic, never did get my landscaping done nor the pond put in this yr :( that will be completed next spring, the pond will be right where the shovel is stuck in the ground..

daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Great pic Tracey!

Boy does time fly. It seems only yesterday your greenhouse was only in your garage and waiting for winter to end. Now it has served a season and the next winter is already here! Crazy!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) The GH's first winter has begun.. Forgot to spray the tropicals tarp with pam, will do after this snow melts, picking up a bigger tarp for the cacti GH next week to cover that GH and spray with pam as well.. Will report back when we get a big amount of snow...

After i took this pic this morn the snow slid right off the cacti GH.. :P Theres about 6 more trees out back im gona have hubby cut down...
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Tracey,
So I'm guessing you use the tarp because you don't want to spray the greenhouse right?

Daiv
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Ya Daiv i dont want to get the funky greasy pam spray on the GH pannels.. I would rather it be on the tarp.. :wink:
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

First blizzard of 2012 pics just taken tonight sorry flash caught the heavey snow but you look hard enough you can see the GHs back there LOL!! :P

*Barracuda_52*

Re: The Build Of Acorn Forest Greenhouse's UPDATED 1/1/2012

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Well been very busy with many many things going on, we have started landscaping, now got the Welcome Arbor built, few things left to do with that, add patio stones in the arbor walkway, fix around outside of fence and plant flowers and hostas and lay down mulch and then add some trumpit & mornning glory vines to the arbor and hang small flower baskets from the arbor top ends, and add my WELCOME sign.
On to the next part of landscaping, putting in the pond, walkway with pathway lights and adding flower and hostas around the GHs.

GH's are now uncoverd and open airing out, they made it thru winter without a hitch :mrgreen: 2 more weeks and they will be filled with plants WOOT!!!

Heres how the Arbor and fence looked right after getting it done.
front,

back,

Im gona try and convince hubby to dig up and move the clothesline poles, if there cemented down deep hes not gona want to move um, they were here when we moved in.. I guess i will have to work around them LOL!!
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Very nice =D> it's going to look great, and you will get so much pleasure from your efforts for years to come. We have been converting an old botch-up job of a greenhouse that's been deteriorating on us for the last 9-10 yrs. Will post my photos within the next week when by then it should be finished completely. Plants are in already as it's just a bit of cosmetic work on the outside now. Can't wait to see how your landscaping turns out. From your description it should be really nice. Well done to both of you! =D>
Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey Tracey, looks like all your snow is gone there too. Isn't it great? Well as long as we don't get a hard freeze now in April. It is just beautiful here today again.

I see you are going to give it 2 weeks before moving your plants out. I am assuming like me, you just don't want to risk it. Knowing how things can change fast where we live.

Daiv
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Thats right Daiv i know better than to jump the gun and start moving plants just yet. We do have a slight cold snap commin in dont know how long thats gona last but i know how the end of April first week May is for some reason we seem to always get that last ditch effort of cold/snow mix so im gona give it 2 more weeks yet see how it goes but there is alot of plants i can start moving out next week if its not to cold out, gona take these last few nice days and wash the Cacti/succlent GH pannels off get rid of all that dust, sweep out the sand and then also pre treat spray pesticide in both, had some toads over winter in the tropicals GH saw them outa and about today, gona move them out so the pesticide dont kill um, the Cacti garden is awake and plants perking up. :D I got ALOT going on right now, have another NON HUMAN :P additon comming to join the family in few weeks, little baby Leopard Tortoise and been busy tossing together a make shift temp tort table till i draw up plans for hubby to build me a nice big one, cleaning up the property from the last storm after math and also working on everything else just been REAL BUSY, PLUS mushroom season is going to be early this yr soooooooooooo will be running around like crazy for that to.. So im not gona be around much for another 2 months or more.. But i will keep this thread updated as i get things done and also once the GH's are once again filled for spring/summer months.. 8)