The Build Of Acorn Forest Greenhouse's UPDATED 5/11/2013

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
John C

Re: The Build Of Acorn Forest Greenhouse's UPDATED 1/1/2012

Post by John C »

Haven't seen you around Cactiguide for a while, glad to see the update! Looking good Tracey! 8)
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Thanks John, miss you to.. :P

Well Cassie and i dismanteled the shelves and sweeped and cleaned and got all the pannles washed and cleaned in the cacti GH then we started hualing things out to start working the pond landscape area and POOF a thunder storm rolled in real fast so we are putting that off for another day, dont look like much as i dont have all my supplies out there yet, but the ol 100 gal preform pond, my cascades are in the garage havent toted them out yet and the back lattice pannels are out there i also unrolled some of the edging for one of the walkway paths, thats not how its gona look as thats just rolled out to get the kinks outa it, im gona also conect another walkway path to it from the arbor and a walkway path from one GH to the other. I still have to get landscape timbers, posts for the lattice pannels, weed block, soil additives, more field stone, patio stones and then after its all done get my plants for the whole area. We are power washing the deck and painting that and i also need to fill my planter box and put the fountain in there.

I know dont look like much :oops: but in few weeks it will look a WHOLE LOT diffrent.. :mrgreen: Pic was taken right as the rain was letting up and i was standing up on the back deck. Gona work my way around the stinkin clothes line poles.
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

This is such an ambitious and extensive project! When do you have time to do anything else?
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

fanaticactus wrote:This is such an ambitious and extensive project! When do you have time to do anything else?
LOL!! Funny you should say that fanaticactus, its a NEVER ending project its just gona keep getting more and more added on each yr. And as far as having time to do everything, i have ALOT to do around here each day but i do make time to get each thing done, its been raining ever since i posted the last time so as soon as we get a break in weather i will be back out there working once again, picked up some posts/boards for the back lattice pannels today and also few things for my baby tortoise table im working on. Im gona also be putting more plants in the outdoor cacti garden this yr as well. I shall report back once we get things going.. :D
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Tracey, if you continue to build more and more, you'll soon have to apply for your own zip code! You can incorporate under the name "Plantville, MI" !
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

fanaticactus wrote:Tracey, if you continue to build more and more, you'll soon have to apply for your own zip code! You can incorporate under the name "Plantville, MI" !
LOL!!! :lol:

WooHooo its finaly sunny out but chilly, hubby is out working on getting my pond in, next we will get the cascades where we want them and then start filling in with the soil/dirt mound to hold them up in place, i gota grab more field stones..

Will update this with pics soon.. :D
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

To get back some of what you must be spending on all this luxury, Tracey, you should put a sign out front saying something to the effect "Come in and see the most exotic and extensive collection of both desert and tropical plants and flowers within 100 miles. Donation, $3 adults & $1 children". :lol:
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Mini pond now in, time to start working on the cascade water corse and build up the mound around um, will get that done shortly we have rain forcasted and its very cold outside even though its sunny out, last night and tonights temps in the 20's again Brrrrrrrrrrrr... Once its all done then i start covering things with field stones to give a more natural apperance. Will use weed block over the soil mound around the cascade area once finished and then will start adding the plants and back fence lattice panels.

daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Yeah, so much for Spring. Glad we held out on putting out the plants.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

daiv wrote:Yeah, so much for Spring. Glad we held out on putting out the plants.

Thats right so much for spring :idea: HA!! This is the reason why we are not in such a hurry to do things let alone move all the plants out to the GH's, its been off and on like this for few days now, cold and spotty snow/ice mix and then today WHAM its getting real white out again.. :evil:
These pics was taken this morn.. Now its comming down real heavey and ya cant even see the road from the house, hopefully it will pass quickly, this is why im at a standstill for landscaping and finishing the pond area, :cry: POOOOOOOOOY!!!

The poor cacti garden was awake and doing great with fresh growth and all pads was up and doing good from the spring rains, now there laying flat again. :idea:
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Oh dear! I really feel for you, how frustrating. Makes me feel quite guilty as here we seem to have winter well behind us now. It was a very severe February, but at least Spring seems to have arrived on cue. These could be famous last words though, who knows ? :-k I hope it soon passes and you can get back to your landscaping, it's great seeing your projects coming to life isn't it? I'm following your progress with interest. :hiding:
Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tony

Post by Tony »

DOH! #-o
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
John C

Post by John C »

Yuck! Hard to believe it is still snowing some places, as winter has gone far away here. It is between 78-88 every day here now, and doesn't go below 60f at night. (Looks like next week it will drop into the 50's at night)

Good luck on your projects! I hope it all melts quickly and warms up once and for all for you guys up north!
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

John C wrote: It is between 78-88 every day here now, and doesn't go below 60f at night. (Looks like next week it will drop into the 50's at night)
That's what I call July :D
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

14 degress last night, cold cold durring the day even with the sun out finaly today its alittle warmer and sunny, started working again this is one slow project.. LOL!! While its been cold out i did take the time in the garage to get all back lattice panel posts painted, so atleast thats outa the way, hubby started working on the cascades today, looooooooooooooong way to go, he built little frames to help keep them in place while building up the mound, going to place rocks under each cascade lip and plant moss around those will look awsome when finaly done and all rocks and such in place, will be using potting soil mixed with manure on the mound and around the pond area then weedblock down over that and then mulch once the plants/shrubs/ferns are in place.. Took these pics while hubby was getting his cup coffee..

Funny how things look like crap till your all done and everything is in place LOL!!! :lol:

Our funy weather is not over yet still cold days and nights ahead and even ice snow in the forcast for Monday and Tuesday.. #-o Im so glad i have not yet taken any plants out to the GHs, Great ol northern michigan CRAP SPRING weather.. :(