Winter Grow Room.. UPDATED!! 12/28/11

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Ok heres whats done as of today, the tropicals grow rack is almost done, i just need to rig lights and cover it with plastic to help hold in the humidity, and then push it alittle closer to the wall, its 7 1/2 ft long by 8ft tall, the closet shelfs are in place all i need to do is foil it and rig lights, i removed the mini GH and took my roller grow carts down into the plant room, once i foil and rig lights on that one it wont show the ugly azz pipes we need to be able to get to if need be i can just roll the cart outa the way. Still gona rig another shelf under the succulents back wall rack as well. Its getting there slowly but will be done soon.

Daiv it sure is nice being able to leave the cactu and succulents outa alot longer than befour, the cart infront of the pipes is gona be a grow rack for my 54 semps i have comming in.. Since there small they are spending there first winter in, next yr they will stay out all winter.

The big tropicals rack almost done.

the closet grow shelf and also the semp rack.

Will post more pics in few days once done.. :wink: :D
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Those high basement ceilings are fantastic. I guess I mentioned that before, but how very handy!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) Ok the tropicals grow rack is done and there cramed in there, gona set up another grow cart for any excess tropicals since i have 2 grow carts. :P

I can raise and lower the lights if i need to.. Orchids and a few stray tall begonias up top and all begonias down below.. The African violets are going else where.

Sorry for the blurry pics.. :oops:

Next is the grow closet for the trees, any that are dormant will stay out in the garage over winter.
Will get pics of that posted within the next few days then the grow cart for the baby semps, was thinking maybe just keep them out in a unheated GH since they are cold hardy anyways..
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) Ok got the tree rack closet done, befour pics as i load the trees in, i also foiled half way down from the top on the outside of the closet to help keep light in and directed down. I pruned um back real heavey so that they will now grow more bushy and fuller and i can keep them smaller.. I also treated them outside few days befour bringing them in and once again after i brung them in from outside for any pests. Im not out to inpress anyone with this winter grow room its just that FOR WINTER MONTHS nothing fancy.. :P

Here it is after i got done, still have some trees to load in and putting some trees up stairs in the bay window and elsewhere..
heres a shot of the little african violet grow cart, since i dont have many of them left after sales, i dont need alot of room for them.. :D
and this is now the finished Semp cart, was gona keep them in the GH over winter but because most are tiny and they just went thru shipping then repotting stress im gona get them started off in the grow room for this winter.

Next is the back wall succulent bench, gona re foil the wall and then re rig the lights since they were taken outside for the GHs and then make a half lower bench with lights.. Will post more pics as i go.. :wink:
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) Got more done today, most semps are now on there cart, i still have another 27 to load onto the cart tomarrow. Heres pics of the semp cart now. Look at all the extra room for more.. LOL!! :D

Got the succulent bench done, if i need more room will build another shelf under on the other side and move the stored rain water bottles.
I will move/adjust lights as need be. Will be loading the succulents in over the next few days..

and heres the african voliet cart now..

Still moving plants in and placing them where they need to be.

After i get the succulents all moved in i will be working on the cactus grow racks, gona add more foil and redo the lights. The cactuses will be the very last to come in i want to leave them out as long as possible. Once all plants are in for the winter it will be time to get some carpet for the floor and get my little table and lawn chair in place.. :P Then we all will be ready for winter, my little oasis for my hibernation enjoyment LOL!! :wink:
Tony

Post by Tony »

Oh! I love what you've done with the closet. :love7:

:P

lookin good tracey! 8)

PS. your going to need more shelf space. :lol:
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Tony wrote:Oh! I love what you've done with the closet. :love7:

:P

lookin good tracey! 8)

PS. your going to need more shelf space. :lol:
Thanks Tony and ya know what YUP YOUR RIGHT LOL!! Need more succulent bench space so i gota build another shelf on the right bottom lower side.. :P

All succulents have been moved in trimed/cleaned/waterd/treated with pestacide and almost done placing them all where they need to go but sorta ran outa shelf space for the new ones that came in so tomarrow time to build another shelf. :laughing8:

Like my tree grow closet Tony?? LOL! had to spiff it up some how make it blend with the deco.. LOL!! :toothy10: I think my lawn chair and little table with CD player/radio is gona go right by the closet so i can enjoy everything around me come those cold snowy blustery nights..

Got the cactus grow racks redone lights rigged and more foil, there ready to go when its time to get them in.. Will post more pics in few days when i get all the succulents done.. :thumbleft:
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) Ok heres whats done, the winter grow room is starting to get filled.. :P Still need to arrange the succulents alittle better and rig some extra lights for them, i need to tie up the cords make that alittle neater.. Heres how everything looks right now..

Its always great when plants reward you for growing them well.. :toothy4: Heres the orchids in there new grow rack/chamber i was happy to see this..

"Wild Willie Wonka" in bloom WOOT!! :P

and starting to get other flower spikes as well on other orchids, these are Phalaenopsis spikes..
Image and more to come.. :D
Hoping to see some Catt blooms hopefully outa my 3 yr olds.

Next its time to get the cacti in.
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) Well have deside to take the next day of warmish temps and clear skies to get moving cacti in, I surely dont want to get caught moving cacti in the middle of a snow storm nither, i wanted to leave them out longer in the GH but cant afford to run the heater anymore, its sucking up more juice than all my lights are.. :P So today started loading in all baby, small and medium cacti in, tomarrow will load in the larger ones. I think last yr i had them moved in befour this, seems like each yr im moving them in earlier and earlier.. :roll:
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) You are now entering the LIGHT ZONE.. LOL!!

and here they are after i inspected them and pre treated them with pestacide. Now sitting on floor, will be working on getting them on the racks today. :P Pics taken late yesterday..

I have others that were brought in the day befour and are now on the rack not in the pics, those were the littlest ones.

Will post again once done.. :wink:
Last edited by *Barracuda_52* on Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leftyman

Post by leftyman »

I was pretty proud of my little indoor overwinter set up and small but growing collection of plants until I saw your post! :wink:
Tony

Post by Tony »

Those are some happy pampered plants. 8)

Here is what my winter grow room looks like today. :o

My wife is using it to store all her scrapbooking stuff!
I gave her two weeks to vacate, I got seed to sow. :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
iann

Post by iann »

How long until the utility company tips off the Feds that you're running a pot factory :?:

At least you won't be SAD from lack of light 8)
--ian
psi

Post by psi »

I don't think that's really a concern with this level of power usage, think of all the houses with electric heat, water heaters, clothes dryers, stoves etc.

I think I have some of the same kind of shop lights in my window box setup (the white ones), power usage at the wall is right around 60w for 2x4' T8 tubes. The reflectors seem like they are not the most effective desgin but the fixtures with 'good' reflectors were more than twice as much.
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

iann wrote:How long until the utility company tips off the Feds that you're running a pot factory :?:

At least you won't be SAD from lack of light 8)
You crack me up Iann, heres the kicker part the DNR has already snuck thru my GHs outside checking to see what im growing in there, Stupid azzes have at it i have nothing to hide, we have planes and helicopters that fly over looking for GHs and other suspecting things for people to grow pot as Michigan passed its pot law few yrs ago, now the feds are cracking down on all even the dispencories. They have been busting people right and left ALL over the state of michigan, My lights wouldnt compare to what pot growers use to grow theres.. LOL!! They ever come to my door to raid me or check to see what im growing down stairs im gona laugh in there faces and tell um where to shove it and put a opuntia pad in one of there hands and say THERE YA GO THIS IS WHAT I GROW! LOL!! And oh by the way like the end of my 30 30, now get off my property.. :evil: I have used more than just these lights befour, when we had the exotic pet shop we had WAY more lights and heating going for the reptiles.

psi, i use foil in my light hoods to help push more light down. These lights suck up nothing compared to my old GH heater it really sucks the juice and i think my crubby ol side by side fridge is sucking more juice than my lights are.. :P

I have had no probs with my indoor setups, plants are happy, im happy.. :D

Tony that cracks me up, she booted ya outa your grow box.. LOL!!! :P :lol: