And it begins!

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

dustin0352 wrote:The top shelf is getting FULL!!!

WOW!! :shock: GO DUSTIN!! WOOT!! They all look great bud.. :wink: Thats one thing about a GH no matter what the size you fill it very very quickly.. :P
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
dustin0352

Post by dustin0352 »

Thanks everyone. The shelf on the other side is 3/4 full aswell. The other side has most of my clay/larger potted cacti. The extra shelving that you see underneath doesnt get enough sunlight in the winter to house cacti, but I'm sure it will be full this spirng/summer!
kevin63129

Post by kevin63129 »

Wow Dustin,your seedlings are looking great.
Addicted to crackti !
StrictlyOrganic

Post by StrictlyOrganic »

awsome loooks so neat and tidy.What is that gorgeous pinky purple redish plant in bottom left of the above pic.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Gona have to add on soon, lookin good Dustin :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
dustin0352

Post by dustin0352 »

Thanks guys! Tony if these plants end up growing on me I'm S.O.L. on space LOL!!

StrictlyOrganic wrote:awsome loooks so neat and tidy.What is that gorgeous pinky purple redish plant in bottom left of the above pic.
If your talking about this little feller
(bloom pic of last year)

I believe if I remember correctly it is a Echinocereus rigidissimus
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

dustin0352 wrote: I believe if I remember correctly it is a Echinocereus rigidissimus
Wow, it's a very nice bloom!
For me looks like Echinocereus rigidissimus var. rubispinus or ssp. rubispinus
Desert-Tropicals
cactus-art
at my collection
A significant sign of this var. or ssp. are the reddish spines. I'd think you could write a new label. :wink:
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.
(Wisdom of the Cree Indians)

Cacti encyclopedia | Facebook
Cactus Charlie

Re: And it begins!

Post by Cactus Charlie »

Very nice Dustin! I also saw your you tube video and liked it!
I was wondering what sort of greenhouse it is? It looks as though you could leave your cacti on the staging and water them on there with all the holes on the top, is that what you do? It's a bit of a pain having to move every cactus off of my wooden staging to water as there is no drainage holes whatsoever.
Charlie.
Never turn your back on a cactus
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Charlie - all my plants are on wire shelving from Lowes. I just use a hose spray, except when I fertilize. Watch that the ones on the bottom don't get too much dripping from above. I think the air circulation might compensate for my tendency to over water. Sue
Cactus Charlie

Post by Cactus Charlie »

oldcat61 wrote:Charlie - all my plants are on wire shelving from Lowes. I just use a hose spray, except when I fertilize. Watch that the ones on the bottom don't get too much dripping from above. I think the air circulation might compensate for my tendency to over water. Sue
That sounds a lot easier Sue, I'll see if I can find some to swap with the current ones, the hose spray also sounds like a good, thanks for the reply, Charlie
Never turn your back on a cactus
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Sorry - didn't think to look where you live. Lowes is a big home improvement chain in the US. I can't use standard wide staging because I only have a 13' by 9' lean-to off the side of my house. Makes it easy to heat - I just open the dining room windows. I know I shouldn't water with a hose sprayer but I'm too lazy to fill a watering can & carefully do each pot ( 150+) Plus the hanging epis & other jungle cacti enjoy the misting. I have a gravel floor with pavers in the middle, so splashing isn't a problem. The wire shelves let me layer by light requirements. But take anything I say with a grain of salt - I know half of what I do is wrong by the experts but it works for me & I'm very lazy since I retired. Sue
Attachments
1-InteriorJune16.jpg
1-InteriorJune16.jpg (461.12 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
Sarr

Post by Sarr »

just read through this whole thread. nige greenhouse dustin, and nice cacti! (also the other two guys who posted pics of their GH, nice GH aswell!)