Mini GH LAST UPDATE! 6/29/11 Time For A New Home!!!

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
king_hedes

Post by king_hedes »

it looks great you got alot of cactus in there
it looks nice with the lights on at night too
plant zone 9a
Matt Ivy
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Daiv,
from what I remember of when I vacationed in northen MI is that it got dark pretty early. Course I was a little kid, but it was during the summer and it seemed like the sun went down earlier then back home in Cincinnati, but I was about 5 so maybe it was a whacky observation from myself.. I dunno...
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) Thanks guys..
Daiv the lights only get turned on when i need to work in there at night or for those days that are dark, gloomy and rainy. I dont have them on durring the day light hrs nor at night, only the heater is running at night since we seem to not be able to get outa the 20's and 30's for night time temps. On sunny days they get the sunlight from 7am till 5:30pm as the sun comes up and then moves around the GH and then its way on the other side of the house and they get normal light till its dark out. The trees have not gotting there full leafs yet and theres only one tree that would block sun for 1 hr durring 1pm and 2pm once it completely leafs out.
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Peterthecactusguy wrote:Daiv,
from what I remember of when I vacationed in northen MI is that it got dark pretty early. Course I was a little kid, but it was during the summer and it seemed like the sun went down earlier then back home in Cincinnati, but I was about 5 so maybe it was a whacky observation from myself.. I dunno...
Peter, durring the middle of spring and all of summer months it stays light here till about 9:30/quarter to 10pm.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

hmm. WoW. that would have been like what it was like in Cincinnati. Weird the impressions we get when we are little!

BTW from what I do remember about Northern Michigan is it was very pretty. Also we went to a state park that had gigantic sand dunes at it near the lake..
:)

(we stayed at Traverse City)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

:D Yes indeed it is VERY BEAUTIFUL here, even durring the freezing cold winters and aparently this nasty cold spring we are having as well. The place you are reffering to is "Sleeping Bear Dunes" When i was younger it was open to dune rides we use to go on and such till it became protected due to loss of wild life/shore birds and habitat plants that was WAY BACK in the day for me that is.. LOL!! Anyways still open to the public and the dunes have grown over some.

http://www.sleepingbeardunes.com/info/parkinfo.php

There was this one HUGE massive dune we climbed when we was younger and i remember my mom could not climb it so she stayed at the bottom and took pics, she still has all those pics from back in those days..

http://www.nps.gov/slbe/planyourvisit/climbingdunes.htm

I also have regular camera pics somewhere that i took of the dunes when we use to take our boat and go port to port on lake Michigan, i love all the Light Houses michigan has they are my favs.. :D
Tony

Post by Tony »

Looks like someone is going to need a bigger greenhouse sooner than expected. :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
dustin0352

Post by dustin0352 »

Awsome GH Cuda! and I see the collection just keeps on growing :D
peterb

Post by peterb »

That sure looks like a great little setup! Here's hoping it warms up and stays warm for a good long while. :-)

peterb
Zone 9
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Interesting. So you use the lights to help you see when it is dark. You learn something new every day. :roll:

I think I was over-thinking your setup there! :oops:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) Time to say farewell my great mini friend, the mini GH is getting refurbished and put up for sale, its time for someone new to enjoy her, she has served her purpose well and made it thru the last few yrs with flying colors. :P
She got a new paint job and poly'd, getting new screen for the top vent, new plastic, new silicone around the windows/glass and will get a cap/upside down gutter put on the top to complament the paint job. Heres how it looks right now took the base frame off as well to get painted along with the door and vent window, will be done in 2 days and for sale for this comming holiday weekend along with my small sale for plants.. Should be a awsome holiday.. :D

will post more pics when shes completed. :wink:

TimN

Post by TimN »

GREEN!
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Well its taking alittle longer to get it done, the stinkin molding is like putting a puzzle together, having a heck of a time remembering what goes where its a good thing i got pics to look at how its was but now that the molding is painted its tends to confuse the mind :confused2: looking at the pieces.. Hopefuly it will be done tomarrow..
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Well heres what it looks like so far, i still have few molding pieces to put in place, some areas to touch up with paint and poly, gota get the gutter on top and cut the plastic away from the 2 side windows, paint benches and we are good to go.. :D

its sittin kinda funny cause we have it sittin on blocks and our garage floor decline to the drain hole.

Front

door open

side view, you can see we need to cut the plastic off the window and i need to paint.

back view, more painting to do around the window.

We noticed after getting the plastic unrolled that it had all these wrinkles in it and also it has lots little plastic milky beads in the plastic, no holes just some sorta defect :? none the less she wont leak.. :P

Looking nice now someone sure is going to enjoy her... 8) Will take few more pics once done and outside..
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) Well last of the updates on this great mini GH hubby built me few yrs back, here she is tonight took these pics as the sun was almost down shes loaded on the trailer to be taken down to the end of the driveway and sale signs put on, shes looking GREAT compared to befour sad to see her go but time for someone else to enjoy her.. I tried to put the upside down gutter on top the peak but the vent window frame was to high so we left that off..

i just tossed the tables in will fix them into proper place when we get it down the driveway...