Mini GH LAST UPDATE! 6/29/11 Time For A New Home!!!

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
*Barracuda_52*

Mini GH LAST UPDATE! 6/29/11 Time For A New Home!!!

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

:D WOOT WOOT!! The mini GH hubby built me last yr with just scrap wood from out back the barn has made it thru its first harsh Northern Michigan winter without a hitch. Alot of people said, "Quote" not here but elsewhere, that this GH wouldnt make it thru the winter. it would colapse or that the plastic would turn yellow, NEWS FLASH for them she made it just fine and noooooooooo yellowing of the plastic.. :P Dispite HEAVEY snow, high winds, tree branches, ice she looks GREAT! Soon it will be filled once again with LOTS of plants, gona do alittle modifying and move the benches around and some outside clean up. Yes the plastic had some wrinkles in it when we put it together but at the time we didnt care.. :D
Took these pics as the sun was going down.
This one i tried to catch how the sun was shining on the GH thru the plastic the inside looked pink but aparently my cam dont show that to well.. :oops:
It was such a beautiful day today, now if only the nights would be alittle warmer.. :D
Last edited by *Barracuda_52* on Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:04 am, edited 8 times in total.
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
dustin0352

Post by dustin0352 »

Great news!! Glad to see it stood up to the winter. Hmmm. what happens to the sun back there when them trees fill in green?
Hiro

Post by Hiro »

cool that looks great good to know it held up looks something like what i wanna build
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

That steeply pitched roof was a smart move!
I think it looks great and obviously, it works for you! :)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I was just talking about mine in this post:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11987

What is the plastic film you used? If it is not UV protected, it won't bother turning yellow, it will just discintigrate!

My low sloping roof would never survive up there!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
John C

Post by John C »

Nice Tracey! It looks good! 8)
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
kevin63129

Post by kevin63129 »

Great GH tracey,glad it worked for you!
Addicted to crackti !
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Thanks everyone, Dustin even though theres nothing but trees here we do have a opening in the back yard and i placed the GH where it will recive the most sun for as long as possible, it gets about 6 to 7 hrs of sunlight when the trees are leafed out. I can always move it if need be.

Daiv i cant remember the name of the plastic but its the kind we get from HD that covers our back door and windows in the winter its a 4 ply, we just doubled it for the GH, we have used this stuff for the barn windows and have one window right now thats been coverd with it, same piece for the last 3 yrs and is still doing great. This mini GH was just a temp fix till hubby builds me something bigger, even if it lasts only another yr thats fine with me.

Darryl, hubby built the pitch like that so snow would slide right off, by covering it with a tarp and spraying the tarp with Pam it worked great.

I will post pics up once the plants are out in it and i have it modified. :wink:
Tony

Post by Tony »

Cool lookin greenhouse Tracy, what a nice Hubby. :)
Did you keep any plants in there over winter? :shaking:
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

OK, that plastic must be UV protected then. That's good. Should last a while at least.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Tony, i dont keep any plants in it durring the winter they all come in the house for winter months. Wish i had a bigger GH so that i could keep it heated durring the winter and just keep the plants out all the time.
Well i moved the mini GH gona have it in a diffrent spot over by the back deck, plus today hubby started to modify it for me, he built the bottom up higher so the door was more level with me although i still have to bend just a little to get in the door, plus we are gona modify some clear windows into it, im also gona get a tiny tiny heater so on the chilly nights i cant keep it warm enough in there. Its been only 30's at night and thats to chilly for my plant kids to be out in all night, except my Highland Neps they would love them temps at night.. LOL!! Once i get everything done and its set with the plants in it HOPEFULY by next week i will snap pics of it completed. Im about sick of the cold weather and all the rain we have been getting.
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) OK, well today we have gottin the windows installed, GH in place, bottom of the GH fixed so water cant get in since its in a spot where its kinda down hill, got the tables installed inside, wood chips down on the floor, wood chips around the outside with rocks, had to remove 2 little spruce trees from behind the GH. Tomarrow gona finish rigging the plugs into surge protector, rig the fan in the top vent, rig a mini heater in there for cold nights, rig my lights for those crappy dark days :P and finish getting my fountain placed, then get few flowers to plant around it. Hubby used crappy windows from out back the barn and scrap wood from the wood pile, i got rocks from all over the yard/driveway, reused my wood chips to do all this modifying to it so there for didnt cost us a dime, just his time and complaining.. LOL!! :D Now all i gota do once its finished is repaint spots that are now modified and get all the plants in there and i am good to go WOOT!!
The only other thing i gota do is figure out how to crop & resize my pics on this new comp, im at a total loss.. :roll: :oops: :( As soon as i figure that out pics will be posted ASAP!!!! :wink:
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Ok bare with me, gota figure out how to resize and sharpen the pics on my new comp so if these pics are to big or crappy looking i will figure this out sooner or later but for now heres what i got.
First pic is right after redoing the bottom frame and making the GH sit up higher so it was easier for me to get in the door, you can see how i have to move it back into place where i want it then level out the back of it do to being on a slope. Hubby has already installed one window,
Next widows in and GH in place had to dig up 2 baby spruce trees that was behind it. Bare spots on the wood needs to be painted.
next wood chips and rocks in place, gota get few more rocks around the sides yet and get fountain in place. Thru a tarp over the top for the night since i still gota seal around the windows with silicone. Benches are in place, theres the top of the bench and then i have a shelf under them as well.
Will get more pics once completed.

Heres just a few shots of the pond area. Got alot of trimmin and work to do around the pond, get flowers planted and such.

John C

Post by John C »

Looks good Tracey!
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
kevin63129

Post by kevin63129 »

wow tracey.you and your husband have a great backyard to enjoy!
Addicted to crackti !