Cacti Guides' Lophophora Guide

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
paulzie32

Re: Cacti Guides' Lophophora Guide

Post by paulzie32 »

Image I wasn't raised a Cactolic but converted to Cactolicism later in life ImageImage
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Three just flowered showing variations in flower colour between the so called species:-
lophophora's.jpg
lophophora's.jpg (99.21 KiB) Viewed 5175 times
Lophophora williamsii on the left, L. frickii in the centre and L. diffusa on the right.
majcka

Post by majcka »

DaveW wrote:Three just flowered showing variations in flower colour between the so called species:-
lophophora's.jpg
lophophora's.jpg (99.21 KiB) Viewed 5173 times
Lophophora williamsii on the left, L. frickii in the centre and L. diffusa on the right.
Are they ilegal over there too????
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

No Lophophora's and all cacti are legal in the UK, as are Opium Poppies in your garden, but you might be in trouble with the narcotics people if you tried purifying alkaloids from them on industrial scale. It is illegal to grow the plant cannabis however unless licenced:-

"Cannabis is illegal to possess, grow, distribute or sell in the UK without the appropriate licences. It is a Class B drug, with penalties for unlicensed dealing, unlicensed production and unlicensed trafficking of up 14 years in prison, an unlimited fine, or both The maximum penalty for unauthorised or sanctioned possession is five years in prison. It is, however, worth noting that a "Cannabis warning" can be issued for small amounts of cannabis (generally less than 1 ounce of herbal cannabis, or a slightly higher quantity of hashish) if it is found to be for personal use. This entails the police keeping a record, albeit one which carries no fine and does not show up on [CRB checks]."

Of course Cannabis is also used for making the fibre hemp, which was used for ropes and weaving sacks and firms are licenced for growing or importing it for this use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_i ... ed_Kingdom" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One or two people however have grown cannabis by mistake from bird seed scattered on the garden, but they only get told to destroy it and no action is usually taken.
iann

Post by iann »

Here's my version, with L. diffusa not flowering because that's what it does best :)
lophophora-0610.jpg
lophophora-0610.jpg (77.15 KiB) Viewed 5138 times
L. koehresii, L. williamsii, and L. diffusa.
--ian
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

Am I incorrect in thinking that current taxonomy has lumped all Lophophoras into just one species now, that being williamsii? Mine have gone mad this year, I always seem to have some in flower but whilst I'm seeing variation in the bodies, the flowers all seem to be about the same. I've never had a flower on my caespitosa, is this usual?

Steve
iann

Post by iann »

Still at least two species: L. williamsii and L. diffusa. Although L. williamsii as defined is extremely variable (with some people creating dozens of varieties or even separate species for legal or political reasons), the better known named variations seem to be more closely related to L. diffusa. Further species names beyond the main two haven't really stuck although there are at least a handful of clearly identifiable forms in cultivation. L. williamsii is self-fertile, everything else not.
--ian
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

iann wrote: L. williamsii is self-fertile, everything else not.
WOW, Ian, I didn't know that! That's the key then to my Lophos, if they bear seeds (and they do) then they are williamsii. Then again, they are all together in an open greenhouse, so natural pollinators may well be at work causing hybrids. It's not really important to me, I like the look of them all and I'm not going to eat them.

Steve
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

wait nevermind, Ian answered the question I had. Maybe next year.. :) I can get my own seeds going. For a self fertile plant, can a single flower produce seeds? Or does it need to be pollinated with another flower?
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

Peterthecactusguy wrote:For a self fertile plant, can a single flower produce seeds? Or does it need to be pollinated with another flower?
Just one open flower will produce fertile seeds, providing that it's williamsii that you have. The seed pod can be quite some while appearing after the flower has died. My young plants don't seem to set viable seeds with their first few flowers.

Steve
Mostly_Harmless

Post by Mostly_Harmless »

Onzuka wrote:
WOW, Ian, I didn't know that! That's the key then to my Lophos, if they bear seeds (and they do) then they are williamsii. Then again, they are all together in an open greenhouse, so natural pollinators may well be at work causing hybrids. It's not really important to me, I like the look of them all and I'm not going to eat them.

Steve
The most likely to hybridize are koehresii x fricii (koehresii as the mother). Seems to take fairly easily in that direction.
Give the williamsii a tickle to help self pollenation, the filaments are thigmatropic, or pollenate with another williamsii to increase seed production in the fruits.
Peterthecactusguy

Onzuka wrote:
Peterthecactusguy wrote:For a self fertile plant, can a single flower produce seeds? Or does it need to be pollinated with another flower?
Just one open flower will produce fertile seeds, providing that it's williamsii that you have. The seed pod can be quite some while appearing after the flower has died. My young plants don't seem to set viable seeds with their first few flowers.

Steve
Thanks for the info, I think that I had a seedpods going, but a bird ate them:( however, no despair, there is another flower bud! That makes 4 so far.. I might get one next year as well since this is the first year it has been blooming.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Onzuka wrote:
WOW, Ian, I didn't know that! That's the key then to my Lophos, if they bear seeds (and they do) then they are williamsii.
New information for me too!
Peterthecactusguy

well I had heard that Lophos were self-fertile, but then it might have just been L. williamsii, but then I though maybe it wasn't L. williamsii, ya know. I was confused lol. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle :)
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Bit of a newbie question but as you can see from the photo most of my L.williams have 5 ribs (yellow circles) one has 8 non-regular ribs (red circle). Will the rib number increase with age or is that it?
Attachments
IMG_20130913_170447.jpg
IMG_20130913_170447.jpg (106.11 KiB) Viewed 4931 times
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND