Please help ID this thing

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
AlbertaCactus

Please help ID this thing

Post by AlbertaCactus »

Found this cute little thing, but I’m struggling to get an ID. Perhaps a sulcorebutia langerii? I’m starting to get to get caught in a confusion loop lol.

This one is very handsome, the flesh is very dark and alllllmost looks kind of purple in the right light. I have missed its flowering :? but it looks like it had about 6 or 7 flowers on it at some point

Specimen is only about 3cm (1.5”) tall and just slightly less across

I would appreciate any help or advice anyone can offer

Thank you kindly!
Attachments
1F5057F4-D650-4F7E-92CE-9FB2B0FCE4C9.jpeg
1F5057F4-D650-4F7E-92CE-9FB2B0FCE4C9.jpeg (280.05 KiB) Viewed 1172 times
ADA003E5-B83C-4405-9051-AAF85E7270EE.jpeg
ADA003E5-B83C-4405-9051-AAF85E7270EE.jpeg (222.45 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
8EAE7ABB-9841-438C-87A0-FE972D69BC2B.jpeg
8EAE7ABB-9841-438C-87A0-FE972D69BC2B.jpeg (280.05 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
ElieEstephane

Re: Please help ID this thing

Post by ElieEstephane »

Mammillaria hernandezii?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
AlbertaCactus

Post by AlbertaCactus »

ElieEstephane wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:41 am Mammillaria hernandezii?
That would be the one! Thank you!

This website is so helpful and amazing :D 👏🏻
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Did you grow it yourself?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
AlbertaCactus

Post by AlbertaCactus »

ElieEstephane wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:28 am Did you grow it yourself?
I wish! I stumbled upon it while out doing some errands. It was so interesting looking and of course had no label. I spent hours looking through my books and online to see what it was, but with no luck. I’m happy I was able to get an answer here, so thank you! 😁
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

AlbertaCactus wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:38 pm
ElieEstephane wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:28 am Did you grow it yourself?
I wish! I stumbled upon it while out doing some errands. It was so interesting looking and of course had no label. I spent hours looking through my books and online to see what it was, but with no luck. I’m happy I was able to get an answer here, so thank you! 😁
I wish i could stumble upon that! It's amazing that you found one that is healthy and not grafted.
Just monitor your watering very carefully and make sure it's in an airy location
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

In the UK it is one of those late flowering plants that wants to flower in our winter just as we are trying to dry the plants off and get them to go dormant. As Elie says usually found grafted as a method of propagation as like some others the fruits and seed are cryptocarpic being retained within the body so are not easily available commercially to grow on it's own roots.

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/MAMMIL ... ndezii.htm
AlbertaCactus

Post by AlbertaCactus »

Very cool info! Thank you so much! You answered my question about the seeds, if I was able to get any out of it I would have for sure put them on the give away board. It’s such a cool looking thing it would be nice for others to enjoy :)

Thank you for the link to the info page, now I can better care for it. I don’t water any of my plants here in the winter, and for sure will remember the needs of this one, I have some nice mineraly soil I will get this in to come repotting time.

I feel really lucky to have found this little plant!

Appreciate all the great advice 🤗
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Could it possibly be a grafted plant with the stock buried?
Spence :mrgreen:
AlbertaCactus

Post by AlbertaCactus »

greenknight wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:33 am Could it possibly be a grafted plant with the stock buried?
Does not appear to be
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Hard to find images of cryptocarpic cactus fruits (name = hidden fruit), the fruits being embedded in the body and not protruding from it. Whether the seeds are gradually expelled from the old stems, or have to wait until the plant actually dies to germinate is conjecture. But probably older seed germinates better than fresh. Therefore if you set any don't throw the seed pan away for a few years, just let it dry out at the end of the season and water again for the next few years and you may still get germination?

http://www.cactus-art.biz/note-book/Dic ... tocarp.htm

This Japanese site shows cryptocarpic fruits for Mammillaria theresae if you scroll right down.

http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_7db6105c010126n2.html

If you scroll to the bottom of this Mammillaria luethyi link you will see a section through the plant showing the fruit and seed embedded in the plant.

http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... ia_luethyi

The M. saboae group, M. theresae, M luethyi and M. hernandezii all produce such fruit, which is why they are often propagated by grafting since seed is hard to collect commercially, unlike more normal fruits. That means most available are in fact clones of one original plant. Whether these are self fertile I do not know, but if self sterile you would obviously require a non related clone to produce seed, something difficult to find with clones propagated by grafting and not marked as to which close they are.

With the offsetting species like the M. saboae group however an offset can be taken off and rooted, but degrafting some like M. luethyi seems to be very difficult since they usually dry up before rooting, though I understand seedlings on their own roots (if you can get them) do grow quite well.
AlbertaCactus

Post by AlbertaCactus »

Wow that is really interesting! The pictures on the Japanese site are really cool, amazing how much work to get the seeds. Makes me wonder about this one! There were about 8or 9 of them for sale at the place and the lady working told me the shipment was from California

Guess it was my lucky day!
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

That's a very beautiful plant! Lucky you! :)
"The best fertilizer is the gardener's own shadow"
Chinese proverb
AlbertaCactus

Post by AlbertaCactus »

DesertSun wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:22 pm That's a very beautiful plant! Lucky you! :)
Thank you!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes, great plant, and an incredible find. Cacti in this group are usually propagated by tubercle grafting - you can make many of those from one plant, much faster than growing them from seed. That someone would go to the effort of producing a batch of these and then sell them as unlabeled plants boggles my mind.
Spence :mrgreen: