New member of my collection

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Pompom

New member of my collection

Post by Pompom »

I'm so new with this hobby and know about opuntias and mammillarias since they are so easy to tell apart from the others. Today I got a new kind of cactus. A ferocactus, a gymno or something else? When I get a possible ID, I probably just read all I can about its genus and then could ID them by myself later.

This was recently watered in store, some of the others were already rotting. Should I remove the wet soil and let it dry out couple of days?
Thanks in advance!
cactus1_crop_780x846.jpg
cactus1_crop_780x846.jpg (78.51 KiB) Viewed 471 times
cactus2_crop_757x726.jpg
cactus2_crop_757x726.jpg (72.91 KiB) Viewed 471 times
ElieEstephane

Re: New member of my collection

Post by ElieEstephane »

I told you soon you are gonna be surrounded by cacti!
Anyways, this looks like a melocactus. Which one? Bahiensis maybe? Well it needs to be bigger to give a better ID (and you need someone who doesn't have a superficial knowledge in melocacti like me).
I advised you to repot in your member topic. But now that i know it's a melocactus, they generally don't like to be repotted and can't take long periods of dryness. So i'd wait for better advice wether to repot or not.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

ElieEstephane wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:59 pm Anyways, this looks like a melocactus. Which one? Bahiensis maybe? Well it needs to be bigger to give a better ID (and you need someone who doesn't have a superficial knowledge in melocacti like me).
I advised you to repot in your member topic. But now that i know it's a melocactus, the generally don't like to be repotted and can't take long periods of dryness. So i'd wait for better advice wether to repot or not.
Thanks Elie!!
A melocactus huh... I actually was thinking about getting one WHEN I HAVE A LITTLE MORE EXPERIENCE with other cacti since I read this genus isn't as easy as the others. What have I done. This is what you get from picking ones randomly. I'm not confident at all right now.
Off to reading about melocacti I go now! :?
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

I don't think they're as finnicky as their reputation portrays them. Since you have an all year heated apartment, they would probably love your environment.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

ElieEstephane wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:12 pm I don't think they're as finnicky as their reputation portrays them. Since you have an all year heated apartment, they would probably love your environment.
Heated yeah. It would be too dry for it though... But read more about melocacti; the roots would be fine if repotted now since the plant isn't adult yet and doesn't have the top growth developed. It has more energy to heal the roots. Read all threads about repotting melos via search. This one will probably do great till it matures. Then I could be in trouble.

Should I repot it right now? That's not what I'm sure. Hopefully someone with more experience has advises about how to melocacti and where to start. It would also be great to identify the species since there is differences between watering depending of from where they come from (What I quickly read about melos).
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Try sending a pm to jp29. He grows melocacti and arrojadoa
jp29

Post by jp29 »

Pompom.

I initiated a thread here some time ago at ..........

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33959

..........titled “Let’s grow some Melocactus” that deals with this subject in exhaustive detail. Please check it out - I believe you will find all of your questions addressed and answered.

BTW, it is usually very hard to precisely attribute juvenile Melocactus with any precision. You really need mature cephalium bearing plants bearing flowers and fruit for that.
James
My cactus cultivation pages:
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

jp29 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:55 pm I initiated a thread here some time ago at ..........

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33959
Very interesting topic. I pinned it so it will always stay the first topic and everyone can see it