Cactus ID help , please

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
7george

Re: Cactus ID help , please

Post by 7george »

Look here:
http://cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus=Parodia
Something from the Notocactus group.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Nopaltzin

Post by Nopaltzin »

7george wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:01 am Look here:
http://cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus=Parodia
Something from the Notocactus group.
Thanks for this George ! :D , I think pompoms suggestion that it is Parodia rutilans is probably correct , it seems to have a lot of characteristics of that species. So , an Uruguayan cactus , cool ! =D>
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Pompom may well be correct that it's Parodia rutilans, definitely correct that flowers will help.
Last edited by greenknight on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spence :mrgreen:
Nopaltzin

Post by Nopaltzin »

greenknight wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:13 pm Pompom my well be correct that it's Parodia rutilans, definitely correct that flowers will help.
The flower bud is growing everyday :D so I'm hoping that it will bloom as we enter Spring so that its identity is revealed, although I have to admit I quite like it being a bit of an enigma too :lol:
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Not sure it is Parodia (Notocactus) rutilans since that has more of a fine N. mammulosus type spination and is one of the few Notocacti with reddish rather than the usual yellow flowers. "Rutilans" means reddish, a reference to the flower, so your flower colour should decide.

Notocactus rutilans.
rutilans.jpg
rutilans.jpg (81.24 KiB) Viewed 371 times
"Cactus in habitat" sinks many Notocactus names including N. rutilans under synonymy of Parodia (Notocactus) mueller-melchersii, being just spine and flower colour variants. Certainly like many genera Notocactus is over split. If you click on their different accepted species you will see they do a lot of "lumping" of Notocactus names.

http://www.cactusinhabitat.org/index.ph ... id=97&l=en

The difference between the N. mueller-melchersii and the N. mammulosus/submammulosus group seems to be they have normal circular section central spines, whereas the mammulosus/submammulosus group has flattened centrals.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

What about some form of concinnus?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Nopaltzin

Post by Nopaltzin »

DaveW wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:45 am Not sure it is Parodia (Notocactus) rutilans since that has more of a fine N. mammulosus type spination and is one of the few Notocacti with reddish rather than the usual yellow flowers. "Rutilans" means reddish, a reference to the flower, so your flower colour should decide.

Notocactus rutilans.

rutilans.jpg

"Cactus in habitat" sinks many Notocactus names including N. rutilans under synonymy of Parodia (Notocactus) mueller-melchersii, being just spine and flower colour variants. Certainly like many genera Notocactus is over split. If you click on their different accepted species you will see they do a lot of "lumping" of Notocactus names.

http://www.cactusinhabitat.org/index.ph ... id=97&l=en

The difference between the N. mueller-melchersii and the N. mammulosus/submammulosus group seems to be they have normal circular section central spines, whereas the mammulosus/submammulosus group has flattened centrals.
Hi Dave ,

Sorry about my late reply. I'm not too sure about it being a Parodia either , time will tell I guess. As of yet, the flower still hasnt bloomed but I can see that it seems to be a red/ pinkish coloured bud. I have been quite concerned about this particular plant lately, because the skin itself seems to have gone a darker shade of green.
Nopaltzin

Post by Nopaltzin »

ElieEstephane wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:39 am What about some form of concinnus?
You mean Notocactus concinnus ? :-k
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

exactly
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen: