Identification verification

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Identification verification

Post by WayneByerly »

I posted this in "Member Topics" as another "Growth Over Time" posting, and would like a verification that the Identification of "Blossfeldia liliputana" is indeed correct, as some of the pictures that I have seen as a result of a Google Search look considerably different from these cacti. As always, any input from my fellow forum members will be greatly appreciated. You're a great bunch of folks, and I am quite proud to be associated with the lot of you.

Blossfeldia liliputana (Side).jpg
Blossfeldia liliputana (Side).jpg (110.25 KiB) Viewed 422 times
Blossfeldia liliputana (Top).jpg
Blossfeldia liliputana (Top).jpg (159.52 KiB) Viewed 422 times
Last edited by WayneByerly on Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
Oreborne

Re: Identification verification

Post by Oreborne »

Looks like a lobivia arachnacantha to me. Pretty common cactus with beautiful flowers. If someone sold it to you as a blossfeldia liliputana, I hope you got it cheap. :S
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

OK ... a google search for "Lobibia arachnacantha" and a switch to "Images" shows a BUNCH of photo that look more like this. Barring any further input, I'm going to assume (no jokes about assume please) that your correction is ... well ... correct. thanks, yet once again...
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Certainly not a Blossfeldia which grows very slowly on it's own roots from seed. I would agree with Oreborne it's probably a Lobivia like arachnacantha.

Blossfeldia liliputana from seed on own roots about 10 years old, coin 1 inch = 2.5 cm diameter.
Blossfeldia-lilliputana3.jpg
Blossfeldia-lilliputana3.jpg (88.47 KiB) Viewed 400 times
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

DaveW wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:36 amBlossfeldia liliputana from seed on own roots about 10 years old,
THAT is some slow growth. Not sure i have the patience for that one.