A simple commoner?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
ElieEstephane

Re: A simple commoner?

Post by ElieEstephane »

cyansky wrote:Well, a commoner indeed, but perhaps not so simple. Thank you Aiko for the initial identification. And thank you everyone else for your very insightful and thought provoking input. My Gymnocalycium denudatum was indeed bought at a local greenhouse here in Ontario and it is undoubtedly from a large distributor. It is common, simple and plain. But I love it. Cheers. Andrew
Thanks again!
Sometimes the common plant are very beautiful!
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
DaveW

Re: A simple commoner?

Post by DaveW »

Plants which are now common were once rare and desirable and may themselves become rarer in future. The desire for the latest introduction often means the common plants get weeded out of collections and become much rarer themselves, since few dealers then propagate them. In fact unless you can find a collector who still has them and can give you a "start" again, seed is often the only way they are still available. Hence the trouble I had getting the once common white flowered Gymnocalycium horstii again since dealers now only seem to propagate the pink flowered ssp. bueneckerii, mistakenly calling it horstii.