I guess the first WASN'T the last I'd need ID help with

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

I guess the first WASN'T the last I'd need ID help with

Post by WayneByerly »

I'm beginning to feel like I'm standing on the street corner begging spare change. Because I'm coming here SO often looking for help with ID.

I did a Google Search and looked at pictures of a cactus I have an ID for, and what I see doesn't look anything like what I have.

The ID is Cleistocactus ritteri.

But the cactus I have looks like this. It's 38 inches (96CM) tall and it has has 5 'segments' (blue arrows), 3 joints (red arrows) and is about 4 years old. It was only about 6 inches tall when I got it ... IF age vs growth rates mean anything.
DSCF3328.JPG
DSCF3328.JPG (138.25 KiB) Viewed 277 times
here's a closeup of a joint
DSCF3329.JPG
DSCF3329.JPG (163.47 KiB) Viewed 277 times
the spines are long-ish, flexible and rather soft-ish. but here and there, there are stiffer, longer spines that stick out. pardon the spider webs ... it's been outside in the greenhouse and I haven't had a chance
DSCF3330.JPG
DSCF3330.JPG (164.82 KiB) Viewed 277 times
So whatcha think? Cleistocactus ritteri? Or something completely different?
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
stefan m.

Re: I guess the first WASN'T the last I'd need ID help with

Post by stefan m. »

Well, to be blunt, cactus growth is non-linear. For example, my cereus(whatever it is) when propagated 4 years ago, had to cut off the tip(rot). The first offshoot it produced it took 2,5 years to be 15 cm long. Then it broke. It produced a second one, now over 30, wider and sturdier, in just this summer.
7george

Re: I guess the first WASN'T the last I'd need ID help with

Post by 7george »

Bo shrub <>1 m, branching at base; br c. 3 cm 0; ri 12-14 or more; ar 5 mm apart; sp not sharply differentiated; csp 5, 1 cm, yellow; rsp c. 30, shorter, white; flar with conspicuous additional white, bristles 3—4 cm; fl c. 4 cm x 5 mm, lemon-yellow, nearly hairless
It can be C. ritteri. You can count and compare features. In culture plants often differ.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8